Cruise deals in the news?

3LittleBirds

I keep seeing/reading/hearing about the cruise industry offering deep discounts due to the economy. We have a cruise this booked for this Nov and next Nov, and I haven't seen any real discounts. We seem to have paid around the same price we always have. When I browse over cruise literature looking for more future cruises, I'm not seeing anything there either.

Where are these "deep discounts"? We always book a normal mid-ship balcony. Do you have to book an inside room or a last-minute trip to get the discounts?

I have seen some awesome deals. I think that it depends on the sail date and category more than anything else. I wasn't picky on a date and was able to book an OV guarantee for the Crown in Nov for $399 pp. In my book $57 pp per day is a great deal.

I have seen some awesome deals. I think that it depends on the sail date and category more than anything else. I wasn't picky on a date and was able to book an OV guarantee for the Crown in Nov for $399 pp. In my book $57 pp per day is a great deal.

I agree, that is a great deal. How did you come across it? I haven't seen any deals on balconies though. Even booking a year in advance did not yield us any sort of deal. Don't get me wrong - our price was *good*, but just normal.

We went to Alaska for a week for $299 ea inside --booked 3 1/2 weeks before sailing-- never book an inside but actually it was very pleasant)....had a WONDERFUL :D cruise...

We had already booked in Feb '09, an Alaskan inside passage cruise, a 2 for 1 cruise (week) for Sept. at $349 ea (inside)....so without any intentions of going to Alaska at all this year, we are going twice....prices too good to pass up!

(I thought I would HATE an inside cabin since I am a bit claustrophobic, but did not mind it at all! We have always had a balcony or mini before)

I am seeing 7 nights on Sapphire Princess in November from early December for as little as $349 plus I don't need air. OV is only $449 and all balconies except BA and BB $599. Thanksgiving week is as low as $499. It seems wrong to stay home. For this deal I promise not to complain about a thing;) If I can get a deal for Alaska for next summer with the new Golden sailing to Glacier Bay, we are going without the kids, so fingers crossed. If not Carnival at whatever price or a land vacation.

I think it depends on where you're cruising to and where you're cruising from. We got a great deal on the Sapphire to Alaska this past July. 75% off the brochure rate for 2 fully obstructed view cabins(E217 & E219), which we booked 6weeks out. 2dys before we left, we we're offered an upgrade to a mini-suite with balcony and a substantial obc.

For 2010, we've been looking at cruises from the NYC area and the prices seem to be holding. It's cheaper for us to fly to Puerto Rico or Florida, than it is to cruise 5 miles from our house.

These "Promo" rates are offered on "Soft" sailing dates and particuar itineraries . You didn't say what November dates or itinerary you are booked on ? The promo for this Nov. may not include Balcony cat's. or you may be looking at a sailing that doesn't need a Promo to fill out the ship (ex:Thanksgiving week) .

It's much too soon for these type "Promo" rates on a Nov 2010 cruise, but continue to monitor your rate .I hope you used a TA who will do it for you.

When you see advertising with these Promo rates , they are "lead" prices to get people to call . If you are flexiable with ships/sailings/cabin/dining choices . A good Cruise TA can find these deals for you (no charge).

Archived