Do you take your passport with you?

CRUISING71

You guys aren't really helping me with this one.

Seems to be about 50-50 on responses.

What does Carnival suggest when you ask them?

:confused:

The Carnival personnel I've asked have all suggested leaving it on board. I routinely ignore their advice. But that's just me.

Fine, but why take a copy of your passport then? It has the same PRINTED info that the passport has... Reason I say printed is because the magnetic strip in/on your passport is what really counts.

We don't take copies of our passport on shore.......

A copy is so you have all your info at your fingertips;)

We don't take copies of our passport on shore.......

Sorry I guess I misunderstood your post...:rolleyes:

And as you stated it's your choice and as the OP was asking I gave mine.

Was there not going to be a change in passports where you could get a (for lack of better words), keyring version with the barcode on there?

Not sure it was in addition to or replacing the larger more conventional version.

Sorry I guess I misunderstood your post...:rolleyes:

And as you stated it's your choice and as the OP was asking I gave mine.

You were asking why people would bring a copy......and I answered that a copy as all your info at your fingertips......I never said I bring copies.........

But if that is what makes other people feel comfortable then that is their choice........

You see I don't care what others do, nor do I try to understand......I do what is best for me and my family

I think we have done both... taken them ashore, taken a copy ashore, not taken anything ashore. I understand the risk, and I see both sides. I know if something were to happen and we needed to travel home from a foreign port, we'd be in trouble without passports. (We actually had to do this from Grand Cayman, but we disembarked the ship with all our belongings, so we had our passorts)

I guess I'm thinking that if something were to happen and we needed our passports, perhaps there would be a way one of us could get them from the ship, or perhaps the helpful Carnival staff would assist or something like that. Worst case, if you had a copy it might help get you thru the process via a local embassy type place. It wouldn't get you home, but would be better than nothing at that point.

Do you take a copy of your driver's lis. with you?

A COPY is about as good as a COPY of a $100 bill... Take the REAL one with you and have a COPY in the safe.

I've been on 14 cruises, I don't know how many ports (more than 40) and I have only needed my passport when I board the ship for the first time and when I leave the ship for the last time. Therefore, the passport stays in the cabin safe unless I am concerned about missing the ship for some reason. The passport is too valuable to risk losing when in port and I don't need it.

A copy of the passport is useful in obtaining a replacement, should I need it.

Archived