How far have you driven to a port?

We have driven 9 hours down I-5 in California--boring drive. We fly now, and is worth every penny. After getting off a relaxing cruise, who wants to hop in a car and drive 9 hours home. There's things that can go wrong driving as well as flying. Like we hit snow at the Grapevine and had to detour around it. We also hit fog 50% of the way. You take the chance of car trouble, and also stopping to eat and potty stops. Also, if you drive in the day before, you have the added expense of hotel and dining out, and the price of gas also plays a role in deciding whether it's better to drive or fly.

How about adding another 1.5 hours when you hit Sacramento then driving over Hy 50 after driving to get Tahoe when it was over 100 in the valley.

Never again fly from reno in LA in one hour

We live in Houston and have cruised the Conquest and the Ecstasy twice each. Being really close to Galveston is such a bonus, but we are thinking about driving to another port to take advantage of other ships or itineraries. We don't want to fly because that will add over $1200 to our vacation budget.

My question - what is farthest you've driven to a port and was it worth it? I can imagine getting to the port was fine since everyone is hyped up with anticipation of the cruise but I'm concerned about the returning home part.

New Orleans (Triumph) is 5.5 hours away and the closest port in Florida (I think Orlando and the Dream) is 16 hours. New Orleans is definitely doable but Orlando... I'm not so sure.

What have been your experiences?

Thanks!

Farthest for us (northern Illinois) has been Miami. About 28 hours. But, after our Miami cruise on the Destiny, we drove 20 minutes to Ft. Lauderdale for a week on the Splendor.

The drive down wasn't bad in our van (5 of us), but the drive back is always a bummer.............knowing you have to come back to work and the winter COLD:mad:

We always drive. Not afraid of flying. Just cheaper to drive............

We have driven a few times to New Orleans from Houston and it is not a bad drive. Haven't driven farther than that... Might want to consider renting a car one way to New Orleans and one way back and avoid parking. We did that and called around to each rental car company to find one that needed someone to take a car back to New Orleans for them. It was always airport to airport but it was only like $40 a car. Debbie

We have driven a few times to New Orleans from Houston and it is not a bad drive. Haven't driven farther than that... Might want to consider renting a car one way to New Orleans and one way back and avoid parking. We did that and called around to each rental car company to find one that needed someone to take a car back to New Orleans for them. It was always airport to airport but it was only like $40 a car. Debbie

Great idea!

Wow this post was made for me. This summer we caught the deal of a lifetime on the HOliday last minute. In order to take the four kids we drove from Chicago to Mobile. By the time we got there I was a zombie.

Wow this post was made for me. This summer we caught the deal of a lifetime on the HOliday last minute. In order to take the four kids we drove from Chicago to Mobile. By the time we got there I was a zombie.

Shall I presume that you wouldn't repeat the experience? :D ;)

How was the trip back? Even worse?

We have enjoyably driven from home (Mount Hope, Ontario) to Port Everglades which is about 2300 km or 23 hours drive time. In January we are driving from home to pick up the Ryndam in Tampa which is 2100 km or 21 hours. We have flown in the past as well. The bride likes when we drive. It allows her to bring every pair of shoes she owns (it seems like anyway) because we don't have to pack them and pay for the extra baggage weight. We have mathed it out for Tampa and driving will probably cost us a little less than flying and that's considering flights from Buffalo or Rochester. Airfare from Canada is just plain ridiculous.

As a cruising couple, it is not as much about the cost as it is about the hassle and constant rule changes. Next time we fly to a cruise, it will have to be "clothing optional". If we take luggage, it goes somewhere we don't, and flying naked negates all the suspicions and searches. Don't forget when flying from Canada, leave your guitar at home:D

I have driven a little over 500 miles....about 8-1/2 hours worth. My personal rule of thumb is that if I can fly vs. drive and not spend over $150 extra, then I will fly. It is worth that much to not have to drive and put the wear and tear on my automobile.

I'd have to weigh a lot of things for 16 hours of driving time. With food, gas, hotel, wear and tear, etc. you may come out better flying. Probably the biggest factor is the number of people going. When you start multiplying airfare x 5, 6, or more people, driving begins to look a lot better. You can share driving time and it won't wear any one person out. Road trips like this are always fun and I do enjoy seeing new country. There are advantages and disadvantages, but the best thing you can, whether you drive or fly, is have good preplanning built into your trip. That makes it far more enjoyable.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Six of us will be driving from Portland, OR to Long Beach next week. Nearly 1000 miles. We start driving at around 8-9pm and 16 hours later driving through the night, we're in Long Beach by the afternoon! Those 5-hour energy drinks sure do help :p

Our longest was Roanoke, VA to Port Canaveral. About 14 hours. We split it into 2 days on the way down but drove back in one day. Not sure I'd do it again - DH wanted to do a road trip. I have some back pain problems and was miserable in the car that long. 7 hours in one day seems to be about my limit. It was very cheap for us to drive since I have a hybrid car - we were able to do over 1500 miles round trip on only 3 tanks of gas - less than $75 total.

My favorite port to drive to is Norfolk. It's only about 4 1/2 hours and my parents live 10 minutes from the port so we can use them for free pre-cruise hotel, parking, & shuttle service. :p Baltimore was also a very easy drive for us and would love to see more itineraries from either port.

Never say never, but I think anything longer than driving to Jacksonville will in the future be a flight for us just due to time and fatigue driving that far.

Cincinnati to Norfolk. DH, myself and two grandkids. Air would have cost us $1,000. We used Marriott points and spent a night over and one back. Stopped in Williamsburg on the way home, so definitely was worth it.

Hi Kristy,

It's Patrick from the Adventure of the Sea (cigars lounge). Bryan found me on Cruise Critic. Please give my e-mail celcom99@hotmail.com. Hope that your trip back to Texas went great.

Take care,

Hi Patrick! We sure had a great time on AOS and it was wonderful meeting you. I wish we could've chatted again before the end of the cruise!

Back to reality and it stinks! LOL

Take care, Kristy

We live on Long Island in New York and have always sailed from either NYC, Brooklyn, or New Jersey, except for the times when we flew to Florida. Next week we will be cruising out of Baltimore and will be making the 5 hour drive to Maryland. This is probably the longest drive we would make. Going down is one thing, but the return trip is not too appealing.

I only been on one cruise and we took the LIRR into Penn station then had a car waiting for us upstairs to drive us to the NYC cruise terminal. Worked flawlessly.

We have thought about taking the LIRR from Long Island to Penn Station and wondered how hectic it would be taking luggage and all on the railroad. How did you handle it? I have some difficulty walking and use a cane. You said you had a car waiting at Penn. Did you mean a taxi or a limo?

We have thought about taking the LIRR from Long Island to Penn Station and wondered how hectic it would be taking luggage and all on the railroad. How did you handle it? I have some difficulty walking and use a cane. You said you had a car waiting at Penn. Did you mean a taxi or a limo?

You take your time. Once you get to Penn station, we took the esculater upstairs. As long as your luggage has wheels its not bad. We had ordered a car to pick us up (cant mention the name but starts with a D) but we ordered online for $16. He met us in front of Pennsylvania hotel, which is right across the street from Penn station.

Of course, you can also just hop in a taxi, probably a bit cheaper and they are right there. good luck

Then coming back from cruise we had the car ordered for 10am to be safe. Then, I gave them a call (cause we got off the ship at 9am) and they had a car to us in 10 mins.

No problem

You take your time. Once you get to Penn station, we took the esculater upstairs. As long as your luggage has wheels its not bad. We had ordered a car to pick us up (cant mention the name but starts with a D) but we ordered online for $16. He met us in front of Pennsylvania hotel, which is right across the street from Penn station.

Of course, you can also just hop in a taxi, probably a bit cheaper and they are right there. good luck

Then coming back from cruise we had the car ordered for 10am to be safe. Then, I gave them a call (cause we got off the ship at 9am) and they had a car to us in 10 mins.

No problem

Thanks Limoguy. We may try it sometime. :)

Archived