How far have you driven to a port?

OMG...I can never do that. We would fly before driving 19 hours

We've done it many many times. Saves big bucks. DH drives straight through. We've only flown to Florida once, it was nice being there in 3 hrs. Ironically enough I fly to NYC, never driven there and that would only be about 6 hrs. :)

Farthest for us was driving to our last cruise, which was close to 1000 miles each way. We probably won't do that again for awhile.

If you are in Houston, don't forget about Mobile. According to MapQuest, Mobile is 7 hours 18 minutes / 468.02 miles, from Houston.

We live near Austin and have cruised out of Mobile several times. We drive there, and it takes us about 10 hours.

Actually the trip back was better because we were not on a schedule. When we left we waited untill 8pm so that the kids would sleep for most of the ride. That worked but we caought rain right outisde of Chicago and it did not stop until we got south of Nashville. I would have stoped and gotten a few rooms but we did not leave time for it. On the way back it was casual and relaxing. HOwever the good news is the extra coin we saved is going to put us on another cruise before the end of the year so I guess it was worth it....but I wont do it again.

What part of Jersey are you leaving from? Depending on that and traffic through the DC corridor on I-95, you should be close to the Florida line. We've also found Pooler, GA to be a particularly nice place to stop for the night when no pushing all the way through.

Sorry i answered this so late. We are driving from Browns mills NJ...it's near ft Dix and McGuire afb. Going out of NYC is the best for us even tho we always walk from penn station to the pier with lots of luggage...I don't know for sure how we do it. We sometimes do the impossible......we also have back problems and for some reason, we love cruising so much we will take all the pain. We also take amtrak sometimes....it was long an crowded when we went to the daytona 500 last year....it was a PARTY train and we had alot of waiting because the train was so full. We sat in coach seats for 24 hours....we also went to charleston SC by amtrak...im tired of the train.

.....our travel times have ranged from 15 to 21 hours depending on the time time of year and port location. We actually really enjoy car trips, even our kids do. It is truly part of the trip for us and we usually do fun things along the way. Enjoy!

So far, only driven to Boston in 2001 (9 hours or so) and Baltimore 2 weeks ago (about 10 hours). Not sure I want to do the 24 hour drive to Florida, with the kids though, even for a cruise. I might just suck it up and pay the airfare.

Archived