Snorkeling within walking distance of the pier

star of county down

We're sailing on 9/19 on RCI. On our honeymoon 25 years ago, we didn't know what we were doing (no internet yet) and we rented snorkeling equipment and walked down the street, jumped over a seawall, and jumped into the water and snorkeled. It was awesome, although the current carried me and I almost ran smack dab into a big thing of coral:eek: Then, we ate a very expensive lobster lunch with another honeymoon couple. We also went to Hell.

Well, we want to snorkel again. Anybody? I also wouldn't mind just lounging on the beach somewhere but I don't know what the water is like there at the sand beaches. Last time I snorkeled was in Chakanaab. We really like it there. But anyway...if anyone can help me with this one, that would be great. It would be nice to just walk and plop in!

Is there a beach at Eden Rock with lounge chairs or is it just a dive center? What about a restaurant/bar and restroom facilities? About how far of a walk is it? Thanks.

Eden Rock is a "short" walk from the tenderdock. There is also a plane wreck that is good snorkeling if you turn left at the tenderdock and walk about 10 minutes. You can google Grand Cayman snorkeling and find several good spots, including maps and reviews. We are thinking about going to Cemetery Beach near the far end of Seven Mile Beach. You can walk to Seven Mile or take a short taxi ride. There is food, drinks and shopping near Eden Rock.

Eden Rock is a good place to snorkel and is very close to walk to from the tenders- about 5 minutes at most. It is very rocky with steps carved into the rock leading down into the water for swimming and snorkeling. There is a restaurant/bar right there - we've eaten there a couple of times and it's pretty good- and a little booth where you can rent snorkel equipment. They have a storage room at the snorkle booth that the guy let me change clothes in, but no bathroom. There is an outdoor fresh water shower for public use on the rocks near the steps. Also, recently they added sand nearby on the rocks to make a "beach." They have free lounge chairs on the "beach," but to access the water you have to walk over to the steps into the water. They must feed the fish there sometimes because there are a lot of fish to see. We like to go there because it's so close by with everything you need with no cost except lunch/drinks and rental if you don't bring your own equipment (we do).

We are considering a short stingray excursion first thing in the morning and then possibly checking out Eden Rock before heading back to the ship, but we will have kids in tow.

how is the walk over?

Is it the type of walk where you're walking with everyone single file down the side of a busy road trying to stay out of traffic, or is there actually space to walk?

how is the walk over?

Is it the type of walk where you're walking with everyone single file down the side of a busy road trying to stay out of traffic, or is there actually space to walk?

It's a five or ten minute walk along the sidewalk. (Don't cross over to the water side of the road until you get there, and you'll have nicer, wider sidewalks to walk on.)

Is there a beach at Eden Rock with lounge chairs or is it just a dive center?
If by "beach" you mean an area of sand that goes out into the water, then no, there is no "beach" there. That part of the shoreline is what they call ironshore, meaning it is all rock. That makes for much better snorkeling.

Can you snorkle in shallow water or do you have to swim out a ways? We aren't strong swimmers.

You can snorkel in the shallower water, but it is still deeper than you can stand. You wouldn't want to snorkel where you could stand however because so many people before you would have stood and killed all the coral making for terrible snorkeling.

Archived