any change in food quality with uncertain finances?

lerner22

i am thinking of booking a greek island cruise on wind spirit for oct 10 but i am worried that 1)if money is tight, will that affect quality of food etc and 2) could the company declare bankruptcy at any time..even in the middle of a sailing??? emily ( have sailed on 3 past windstar cruises)

I'm anxiously awaiting answers for this question, too. We have 2 cruises, back to back, in late October and into November. I remember hearing that when Renaissance went bankrupt, people were put off the ship at a port and had to make their ways home. I hope this won't happen to all of us Windstar cruisers.

Windjammer Barefoot Cruises also stranded passengers and crew when it went belly up (in 2007). The one line I know of that went "down" but took care of passengers and crew by completing the cruises underway at the time was the former Delta Steamship Cruise Line. Hopefully, there are more who did it the correct way. I loved Renaissance Cruises, but after what it did to its passengers and crew, I would never sail a line operated by its owners. Today, that line is Oceana. Anyway, I don't think anyone can answer question re Windstar. It will be totally up to its ownership to decide if, when and how. You need to get third-party insurance for any cruise booked. We have one booked, and we have done that. Cuz if the Windstar is sailing, we want to be on it....and hopefully, it will be as good or better as when we last sailed on that ship.

I returned last week from a week on Wind Surf and had a great time. I, too, was concerned about the financial situation of the company but have to say I never felt it on this cruise. There are always things to be picky about, but overall, my expectations were exceeded.

• 2 weeks later...

Cruised the coast of Croatia last week aboard Wind Surf. Service, food quality and variety were up to our previous Windstar experiences and we had a great time. The ship appeared to be full and more than half were alumni. Everyone seemed to be thoroughly enjoying the trip. We continue to love the Windstar experience. It is our very favorite cruise line. We were very sorry to have to return to reality.

Just returned from a 2 week sail on Windsurf. Old ship, Terrible Unhappy staff and little service, ants in bed, flies in dining room, Dirty dishes, Elevator broke 75% of cruise. DISRESPECTFUL employees, No security, Warming food trays not working. Food portions small, and low quality.

Wrong emergency number on handouts. SAVE YOUR MONEY!

Just returned from a 2 week sail on Windsurf. Old ship, Terrible Unhappy staff and little service, ants in bed, flies in dining room, Dirty dishes, Elevator broke 75% of cruise. DISRESPECTFUL employees, No security, Warming food trays not working. Food portions small, and low quality.

Wrong emergency number on handouts. SAVE YOUR MONEY!

Honestly, no cruise is perfect, but I have never, ever experienced any disrespectful crew member on any Windstar ship. The staff has always been fabulous and will do anything to get you what you need. Food portions are fine unless you consider the portion sizes at Claim Jumper more to your liking. If you wanted more food, you had only to ask for it. Room service is available 24 hours a day.

I have never had a dirty dish, and if you did, why didn't you just send it back and ask for a clean one? Ants in the bed? Flies in the dining room? How could there be many flies in the main dining room as it is located on the interior of the ship? If you choose the buffet, I absolutely cannot believe that all the warming trays were not working! If they weren't, why didn't you just order from the menu?

Not sure what you mean about no security. What handouts are you talking about? It's not an elementary school. Was someone unable to reach you in an emergency because they did not have the correct phone number on Windstar's webpage?

I am wondering if someone else had an attitude problem, not the staff on Windstar.

I posted my honest and sincere experience on my 2 week sailing. When a hostess say's to another passenger at the reception desk and I quote " If you are not happy get off the ship" and the head chef says " If you want Italian food eat off the ship" when aseveral guests complained about being served Asian food while in Italy. That is disrespectful. The wrong emergency numbers were on the daily port handouts the ship provided each evening for the following port incase a passenger needed to get intouch with the port authority while in port incase of an emergency, and they would contact the ship. Yes we had an emergency in Messina, but the emergency number was from the previous port in Split. When we reached Split they said they had no authority to contact Windsurf in Messina. Why would I make up that the warming trays were not working. Several passengers mentioned it. It was obvious there was a problem. The elevator did not work 75% of the time as well.

I did tell housekeeping and reception that their were ants in my bed. They did nothing. Guests did mention flies in the main restaurant, but the waiters shook their heads. I did ask for clean dishes which were replaced. As far as secruity there was none at the water deck. Boats were able to come very close which made swimming especially dangerous. There were 2 ships that had banners saying that boats needed to keep a distance from the ship. I do not know why you attacked my honest experience on Windsurf with disbelief. I am a Christian and I do forgive you.

I posted my honest and sincere experience on my 2 week sailing. When a hostess say's to another passenger at the reception desk and I quote " If you are not happy get off the ship" and the head chef says " If you want Italian food eat off the ship" when aseveral guests complained about being served Asian food while in Italy. That is disrespectful. The wrong emergency numbers were on the daily port handouts the ship provided each evening for the following port incase a passenger needed to get intouch with the port authority while in port incase of an emergency, and they would contact the ship. Yes we had an emergency in Messina, but the emergency number was from the previous port in Split. When we reached Split they said they had no authority to contact Windsurf in Messina. Why would I make up that the warming trays were not working. Several passengers mentioned it. It was obvious there was a problem. The elevator did not work 75% of the time as well.

I did tell housekeeping and reception that their were ants in my bed. They did nothing. Guests did mention flies in the main restaurant, but the waiters shook their heads. I did ask for clean dishes which were replaced. As far as secruity there was none at the water deck. Boats were able to come very close which made swimming especially dangerous. There were 2 ships that had banners saying that boats needed to keep a distance from the ship. I do not know why you attacked my honest experience on Windsurf with disbelief. I am a Christian and I do forgive you.

Hi please be good enought to discribe the trips that you took i.e. The ships name, travelling from where to where and from what date to what date. I am sorry that your cruises(s) were not first rate but I and other members need some more information. Your promopt resonse will be appreciated. Martin

I cruised Windsurf on BTB 7day cruises out of Barbados in the Winter of 08.My wife and I are Oceania cruisers- to give you a frame of referance.

My experiance was not a good one:

The food I thought was at best C Grade;probably like most of the 2-3 star large cruise ships in the industry.It was not 5 star( though they advertise themselves as such)

The crew was over worked but did try to do a good job- they were not in position to provide the level of service Windstar advertises.The ship was understaffed( cost cutting)

The management didn't follow through on solving problems,hostess that was over her head:there was no management by walking around the ship.I sensed a morale problem or?

I wrote a very detailed letter to the company about our cruise experiance( it was not a detailed whining bitch list but was a constructive and professional customer perspective)- never heard from them!

The Windsurf is a outstanding ship and has the potential to be wonderful cruise line.In fact I would be willing to pay 20% more than their advertised fares if it would live up to it's claim as a 5 star line.

In this guy's opinion Windstar is probably OK if you expect a 3 star experiance and you will be disappointed if you expect a 5 star line!I will not sail with them again until their management changes,so it might be a good thing if a financial restructuring occurs!

Hi please be good enought to discribe the trips that you took i.e. The ships name, travelling from where to where and from what date to what date. I am sorry that your cruises(s) were not first rate but I and other members need some more information. Your promopt resonse will be appreciated. Martin

I sincerely appreciate your kindness. I have never needed to post on cruise critic regarding a bad cruise experience. My travel agent is the one who suggested that I do. I only wish that I could post the onboard letter from the windsurf hotel manager confirming our issues, and their apology.

My post experience was only thought to benefit future cruiser's. Instead I was mostly attacked. We were not looking for a first rate cruise. We were simply looking to relax with a small group of casual cruiser's, enjoy water sports, and share the love to travel.

There is no need for me to post again.

All the best

I sincerely appreciate your kindness. I have never needed to post on cruise critic regarding a bad cruise experience. My travel agent is the one who suggested that I do. I only wish that I could post the onboard letter from the windsurf hotel manager confirming our issues, and their apology.

My post experience was only thought to benefit future cruiser's. Instead I was mostly attacked. We were not looking for a first rate cruise. We were simply looking to relax with a small group of casual cruiser's, enjoy water sports, and share the love to travel.

There is no need for me to post again.

All the best

Mystichill, I am so sorry you felt attacked. Your review read 100% negative (and that certainly may be the impression you were left with), but most travelers never have a 100% terrible experience with any form of travel, and that may have been the source of disbelief among many posters.

My source of confusion stems from the sense that your comments are inconsistent with other fairly recent Wind Surf'ers comments -- and this could be for a variety of reasons, one of which is that the majority of cruisers don't post on CC, so we just may be missing the bulk of similar complaints.

So, I'd like to issue a request of all CC'ers who traveled on Windstar in the past 6 months (Wind Surf or otherwise, just CLEARLY state which ship you were on): please elaborate on what was great, good, bad or ugly on your recent cruise.

Mystichill, I'm wondering: did you request a refund or any compensation for your sub-par experience? If so, what was Windstar's response (if any)? If I'd experienced what you report, I'd certainly expect some compensation.

Thanks, much!

The Windsurf is a outstanding ship and has the potential to be wonderful cruise line.In fact I would be willing to pay 20% more than their advertised fares if it would live up to it's claim as a 5 star line.

In this guy's opinion Windstar is probably OK if you expect a 3 star experiance and you will be disappointed if you expect a 5 star line!I will not sail with them again until their management changes,so it might be a good thing if a financial restructuring occurs!

My expectations are in line with what I pay. When I sail on a line like Silversea, it's far more expensive compared to Windstar. It is truly 5-star and the rates are representitive of that rating. I realize there is no way Windstar can be at the level of Silversea based on their fares. I don't care what they advertise. Personally, having read the brochure, I think it represented the experience very well.

The bottom line is I felt I received a fantastic value for what I paid on Windstar. I didn't pay much more than a mass-market line but the experience was far better. If anyone is expecting Regent, Silversea, or Seabourn on Windstar then their expectations are way off. They also may want to think about getting a different travel agent if that is who gave that impression.

Ernie

My expectations are in line with what I pay. When I sail on a line like Silversea, it's far more expensive compared to Windstar. It is truly 5-star and the rates are representitive of that rating. I realize there is no way Windstar can be at the level of Silversea based on their fares. I don't care what they advertise. Personally, having read the brochure, I think it represented the experience very well.

The bottom line is I felt I received a fantastic value for what I paid on Windstar. I didn't pay much more than a mass-market line but the experience was far better. If anyone is expecting Regent, Silversea, or Seabourn on Windstar then their expectations are way off. They also may want to think about getting a different travel agent if that is who gave that impression.

Ernie

I think this is a point well-taken, Ernie. I have sailed Windstar before, and just recently sailed Regent. They were somewhat similar as to how luxurious an experience I personally felt I had, but not really on the same level, which is what I expected. I also realize this impression is based on my personal preferences (I don't really need someone to carry to my table the plate I just filled at the buffet -- a common occurence on Regent; I enjoy a "Vegas-type" show now and again but don't miss them on Windstar; I liked the extra room and verrandah I got in my Regent suite, but am perfectly happy in my cozy little Windstar stateroom, etc.).

But also, I checked prices on Silversea, and even using their current 50% special rates, a "cheap" Med cruise is well over $600/day/per person, while my upcoming Windstar cruise is coming in under $300/day/per person. I realize Silversea is all-inclusive, but even if we binge/splurge, we're not going to rack up $300+/per person/per day in drink/spa/giftshop/etc. charges. I would certainly expect a much grander experience on Silversea than I expect on Windstar due to the much higher cost of a Silversea cruise.

eroller, I take exception to your viewpoint that Windstar's marketing information matches the experiance- it doesn't and is misleading as hell!Also, I am a Oceania cruiser and not Seabone,SS, or Regent cruiser,so I am not expecting a bidet in the room!

What I experienced was poor dining service(I would not have left a tip for the service provided or returned a second time -given a choice),Baloney chunks on toothpicks at the welcoming aboard reception and Jimmy Dean pork sausage at breakfast for an eye opener in the morning!All bush league and clearly not up to to the marketing hype provided to clients!

eroller, I take exception to your viewpoint that Windstar's marketing information matches the experiance- it doesn't and is misleading as hell!Also, I am a Oceania cruiser and not Seabone,SS, or Regent cruiser,so I am not expecting a bidet in the room!

What I experienced was poor dining service(I would not have left a tip for the service provided or returned a second time -given a choice),Baloney chunks on toothpicks at the welcoming aboard reception and Jimmy Dean pork sausage at breakfast for an eye opener in the morning!All bush league and clearly not up to to the marketing hype provided to clients!

Well you are certainly entitled to your own opinion, just as I am. Based on my experience with Windstar, which was under a month ago, I found the food very good (not up to Silvesea or Cunard Queen's Grill standards but this is not what I was expecting) and service excellent. The crew was one of the friendliest I have every encountered and all the passengers were extremely pleasant and everyone seemed to be having a great time. There was none of the whining that you get on so many other cruises, which I try to avoid at all costs. My entire experience met my expectations and even exceeded them. Was everything perfect? No, but after sailing on almost 80 cruise on almost every line, I have yet to have the 100% perfect experience. Simply put, I don't think it exists. I also have also never had a 100% negative experience. There has always been some good in every vacation I have taken. Whenever I read a 100% negative review, the writer instantly loses all credibility with me.

Unlike you who didn't want to leave any tip, I wanted to leave more. The crew and staff almost felt like family when we were saying goodbye at the end of the trip.

What a shame your experience was so different.

Ernie

Ernie

Well said Ernie and I totally agree with you. I sail different lines for different reasons. LOVE the sports platform on the Windstar ships. We just had a wonderful May 2009 cruise on the Windsurf.

I think this is a point well-taken, Ernie. I have sailed Windstar before, and just recently sailed Regent. They were somewhat similar as to how luxurious an experience I personally felt I had, but not really on the same level, which is what I expected. I also realize this impression is based on my personal preferences (I don't really need someone to carry to my table the plate I just filled at the buffet -- a common occurence on Regent; I enjoy a "Vegas-type" show now and again but don't miss them on Windstar; I liked the extra room and verrandah I got in my Regent suite, but am perfectly happy in my cozy little Windstar stateroom, etc.).

But also, I checked prices on Silversea, and even using their current 50% special rates, a "cheap" Med cruise is well over $600/day/per person, while my upcoming Windstar cruise is coming in under $300/day/per person. I realize Silversea is all-inclusive, but even if we binge/splurge, we're not going to rack up $300+/per person/per day in drink/spa/giftshop/etc. charges. I would certainly expect a much grander experience on Silversea than I expect on Windstar due to the much higher cost of a Silversea cruise.

Although I agree with everything you are saying - just for the record, we just had a wonderful $400/per person/per day trip on the Silver Shadow (including airfare, drinks, gratuities etc AND a $1,000 shipboard credit!) This was in Alaska, though, not the Med.

Archived