Views on the Amsterdam, please.

goody1

Hi,

My wife and I are just about to book next years cruise which is a straight choice between 14 nights Alaskan Cruise on the Amsterdam out of Seattle and 14 nights on the Royal Princess, also out of Seattle. We cruised with Hal for the first time this month on the Eurodam on the Baltic and loved it. Our first cruise, funnily enough was an Alaskan one in 2001 on the Regal Princess which we also loved. We are looking for views, positive or negative from experienced HAL cruisers with regards the Amsterdam. Thanks in advance.

I highly recommend the Amsterdam! She's a floating work of art, and lovely ship indeed, and one of my favorite in the fleet. For photos of her, see my photo gallery here:

http://gallery.me.com/revneal#100064

I'm still putting up photos from my Alaska Cruise aboard her this past May, and hope to finish uploading them tonight.

We've been on the Amsterdam twice (7 & 14 days) and the Eurodam once, and we would sooner go back on the Amsterdam! Since it is 9 years older than the Eurodam, it doesn't have the more contemporary look, but we think the decor is more "classic". It has 720 fewer passengers than the Eurodam, and feels much less crowded. And it requires far less walking. The crew is excellent.

It does lack the Tamarind and Silk Den, but everything else that makes HAL so nice is there!

I have over 150 days sailing aboard the ms Amsterdam and wouldn't hesitate to book another cruise on that lovely ship. I fact, I have another 63 day Amsterdam cruise coming up at the end of September.

As the others have said, she is a beautiful, classy ship with a wonderful crew.

Valerie:)

Great ship - small enough to feel cosy, wonderful crew and service- would sail on her again anytime.

Just one thing - if you book on the lowest deck - oceanview - avoid rooms 1915 and 1913 which are over the butcher shop with lots of noise - saws going and equipment rattling around during the night. We had to be moved from there. If you are a sound sleeper and noise doesn't bother you then it wouldn't be a problem. the only negative on the whole 64 days we were on that ship.

I have over 150 days sailing aboard the ms Amsterdam and wouldn't hesitate to book another cruise on that lovely ship. I fact, I have another 63 day Amsterdam cruise coming up at the end of September.

As the others have said, she is a beautiful, classy ship with a wonderful crew.

Valerie:)

The quote above tells it all . Look no more. We also have more than 150 days and will be on the world cruise in January. The Best of the Best. happy siling Alsas

I have been on the Amsterdam twice....once for a 7 day Alaska out of Seattle and once on an 18 day Panama Canal. I do love the ship.

I will be on her for 67 days soon......so if you want to see some current pictures then check out my blog (link below).

I highly recommend the Amsterdam! She's a floating work of art, and lovely ship indeed, and one of my favorite in the fleet. For photos of her, see my photo gallery here:

I'm still putting up photos from my Alaska Cruise aboard her this past May, and hope to finish uploading them tonight.

RevNeal,

What can I say other than WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As soon as I finish posting this I am off to see your other slideshows!! I thought our 2 HAL ships were beautiful and very old world elegant. MAN!!! the ms Amsterdam is Truly magnificent!!!!

THANK YOU!!! This has made me decide that we need a cruise on her, just not in the type of cabin you had in the slideshow. I do not think I could deal with sloping walls.

OH MY GOSH! I just took your tour of the Amsterdam.....talk about bringing back memories AND getting me excited (not sure actually I could BE any more excited...but it possible I AM!)

Gorgeous tour of the ship.....what did you do with all the people?? Looks like almost no one on the ship.

Anyway......great tour!!! Can I get on NOW or do I actually need to wait my remaining 34 days?????? :D

Thanks very much to all for the prompt replies.

Revneal, great photos, looking forward to your Alaskan slides. I note that you're doing the Top of the World cruise next July. If you haven't done this one before, its a fabulous cruise. We did it in 2007 on Celebritys' Century and it remains one of our favourites.

Final question for you west coast experts. We intend flying into Seattle the day before to be on the safe side. Can anyone recommend a hotel in Seattle convenient for the Cruise Terminal?

Thanks to y'all for your kind words. You can check out more of my ship photos at the links you'll find here:

http://www.revneal.org/cruiselinks.html

.....what did you do with all the people?? Looks like almost no one on the ship.

It's not easy. One has to wait until late at night, or during port days when people are off the ship. That's what I do. I took a lot of photos after midnight, and a lot more during port days. Sadly, the ONLY lounge I didn't get were Crows Nest Photos. Thankfully, the Amsterdam's Crows Nest is almost identical to the Crows Nest aboard the Rotterdam and the other 2 R class ships, meaning that my tours of those vessels will give one an idea of what the Crows Nest is like on the Amsterdam. Of course, not getting the photos of the Crows Nest on the Amsterdam means that I need to go back aboard that ship to get photos of that lounge!!!! :D

Just one thing - if you book on the lowest deck - oceanview - avoid rooms 1915 and 1913 which are over the butcher shop with lots of noise - saws going and equipment rattling around during the night.
I would also suggest that you do not book under the galley on any ship if possible. On the Amsterdam we were in 3385 and had rolling carts and other noises above us all night. Boytjie was directly across from us on the port side and had no noise problems, but I now know that being under the galley has the potential for being noisy all night. I had incorrectly guessed that it wouldn't be too noisy after midnight or so.

We have been on the Amsterdam three times -- two 7 day Alaska cruises (08 and 09) and 65 days aboard her last fall -- she is a great ship and I not only would love to cruise her again, I am truly jealous of SDHalfan and KweenKaren who will get to enjoy her this fall.

You will have a great time on board.

My quickie review of this summer's Alaska Cruise:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1031294

My 65 day blog:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=848115

We spent our 65 days in cabin 1909 and would take that cabin again in a heartbeat.

I am truly jealous of SDHalfan and KweenKaren who will get to enjoy her this fall.

You will have a great time on board.

:D:D I was trying to make that grin bigger......but I don't know how to do that!! You should see my REAL face though.....VERY big grin!!

Hi,

My wife and I are just about to book next years cruise which is a straight choice between 14 nights Alaskan Cruise on the Amsterdam out of Seattle and 14 nights on the Royal Princess, also out of Seattle. We cruised with Hal for the first time this month on the Eurodam on the Baltic and loved it. Our first cruise, funnily enough was an Alaskan one in 2001 on the Regal Princess which we also loved. We are looking for views, positive or negative from experienced HAL cruisers with regards the Amsterdam. Thanks in advance.

The "Amsterdam" is a smaller ship than the "Eurodam" but you'll see similarities in the placement of main congregating areas and meeting-rooms. The biggest common area- difference is the "Crows Nest" which is about the same size as the Eurodam because it doesn't have the library/Comp. up there! It is a CLASSY ship with beautiful art-work. The crew [ as on ALL HAL ships] is marvelous. I can say this because our experience on the "Amsterdam" is sailing on it for 8 months [ 3 different cruises; LONG cruises] and we will be on her again in a bit over ONE month!!!! September 26 for another 2 month "Grand" cruise [ and I can hardly wait!]. ;) Anne

We cruised with Hal for the first time this month on the Eurodam on the Baltic and loved it.

If you loved the E-dam, you'll be delirious over the Amsterdam. It is far and away better than the E-dam.

We have been on the Amsterdam three times -- two 7 day Alaska cruises (08 and 09) and 65 days aboard her last fall -- she is a great ship and I not only would love to cruise her again, I am truly jealous of SDHalfan and KweenKaren who will get to enjoy her this fall.

Hi Roxanne:

I promise, faithfully, that not only will I miss you on this upcoming cruise, but I will think of you, fondly, every time I "donate" money to Herman and his family.

Valerie (SDHalfan):D

Hi,

Please visit here:

http://www.dutchbyassociation.com/search/label/Amsterdam

I have photos on here from my cruise in April on her, and my visits in June and ... TODAY :)

Hope you enjoy! This link will take you to every post I have flagged as pertaining to Amsterdam.

Thanks very much to all for the prompt replies.

Revneal, great photos, looking forward to your Alaskan slides. I note that you're doing the Top of the World cruise next July. If you haven't done this one before, its a fabulous cruise. We did it in 2007 on Celebritys' Century and it remains one of our favourites.

Final question for you west coast experts. We intend flying into Seattle the day before to be on the safe side. Can anyone recommend a hotel in Seattle convenient for the Cruise Terminal?

You're better off to find a "fun" place to stay and cab over the next day. We really enjoy Inn at the Market Hotel. You're in easy walking distance of some of the best Seattle has to offer.

Archived