Soda Cards...worth the $$ or not

wesail4fun

Well no one has yet answered the question of "Is the soda card good for juice also?" I too have been wanting to know.

I think some of you said that you get a special mug for your sodas, and some don't carry it around, just the card? Is that correct? Half OJ, half ginger ale is really good, would they do that for you with a soda card?:confused:

You can use it for juice at the bar also. If you dont bring your own mug, they give you a regular glass.

Dave

Last year on the Carnival Liberty I emptied my flight carry on luggage into my other luggage as the weight didn’t not matter now. We went to a seven eleven and bought a case of water and two 12 packs of mt dew and put them in my carry on and brought on board. It passed security and they didn't even open it to see what was in it! We then told our room steward that we were emptying the room fridge and putting the liquors in a drawer. We used the fridge all week with our own drinks. Soda card $60 a stop at seven eleven $13. Well worth it!!!!!

Personally, I always buy one.

But I don't ever have more thank 1 alcoholic drink on a cruise (except at the past guest party I might have 2 there). So it's the only money I'm spending on drinks, and I don't care for unsweetened iced tea. I enjoy the juices, but can only drink so much juice in a day.

We fill a duffel bag with 2 12 packs of coke/dr.pepper and 24 waters. Cost = 13 bucks.

We use that empty duffel to bring back any gifts, prizes, extras we get when we cruise. It's nice to have.

I can't begin to imagine spending 100 dollars for some soda for one week. That's WAY over the top to me. However, to each their own. ;)

We fill a duffel bag with 2 12 packs of coke/dr.pepper and 24 waters. Cost = 13 bucks.

We use that empty duffel to bring back any gifts, prizes, extras we get when we cruise. It's nice to have.

I can't begin to imagine spending 100 dollars for some soda for one week. That's WAY over the top to me. However, to each their own. ;)

Kristi...do you just but the drinks in the duffel bag or pad it with clothing etc? Do you give the bag to the porter or carry it on yourself?

Thanks

Kristi...do you just but the drinks in the duffel bag or pad it with clothing etc? Do you give the bag to the porter or carry it on yourself?

Thanks

We just place the soda, still in the card board boxes, in the duffel and we remove the water from the case. It fits better that way. We put a luggage tag on it that we laminate after printing them up, and then hand it over to the porter.

We've never had any bust or spill, so we've never taken any other precautions. I love that I have that empty luggage on the way home. It always seems like I have plenty to fill it up on the return trip!

My boyfriend has bought the soda card for both of the cruises we have been on and he finds it to be worth the cost. He however will only drink soda... So for him it's great. Here is my gripe with the card... I think that they should offer bottled water with the card. The cost of a bottle of water or a can of soda is the same so why not offer water. I would get the card for the water alone if they did. I prefer bottled water and could drink quite a few bottles a day. It would then make it worth it to me.

I'm heading on a B2B and debating what to do -- but this sure does hit the spot... $100 is a big amount... And I have DD coming too for her birthday... That woud be $200...

Maybe I'll take your advice and bring my Diet DP and her Coke and then drink iced tea the rest of the time...

My boyfriend has bought the soda card for both of the cruises we have been on and he finds it to be worth the cost. He however will only drink soda... So for him it's great. Here is my gripe with the card... I think that they should offer bottled water with the card. The cost of a bottle of water or a can of soda is the same so why not offer water. I would get the card for the water alone if they did. I prefer bottled water and could drink quite a few bottles a day. It would then make it worth it to me.

I think a lot of people could down 8 bottles of water or more in a day, but 3 cans of coke seems like a way lot to me, so maybe because folks drink more water, it would cost them more?

I dont drink soda, maybe a small sip once in a while, but I always pay for it.

I think a lot of people could down 8 bottles of water or more in a day, but 3 cans of coke seems like a way lot to me, so maybe because folks drink more water, it would cost them more?

It's so interesting how people's habits are so different. To me, water is for brushing your teeth. Three can's of diet coke? I could do that easily before lunch. There is one reason for buying a soda card that I think nobody has touched on. Our sons always enjoyed having one when they were kids because they felt it kind of entitled them to sit at the sports bar and be able to at least order something while they were hanging out. It was part of the cruise experience for them and, therefore, worth the expense for us.

we just get one for the 2 of us. no point in buying 2 that would be a waste of money. just buy one and get drinks at two different stops or have them bring us one a we share. never been a problem.

ita that it should be for bottled water as well. I'd rather drink water! I only drink about one coke a week at home (and spike it with rum lol), since i'm drinking every night on the cruise...it makes since to have the coke card.

We would only get one soda card which I believe is $42.00. I agree with the above but also with airline bag costs now it could cost more to check the bag while flying just to use for sodas.

Any thoughts from recent travelers on this. (Since airlines charging to check bags)

We would only get one soda card which I believe is $42.00. I agree with the above but also with airline bag costs now it could cost more to check the bag while flying just to use for sodas.

Any thoughts from recent travelers on this. (Since airlines charging to check bags)

A lot of people try to get their pop in the port city on their way to the ship.

I'm thinking of getting one for dd who is 10 yrs old. How much will it be? Not sure if her will cost the kids/adults price.

She likes rootbeer, sprite, lemonade, shirley temples. Will pineapple juice be covered?

Now heres my concern, if we get her a card how easy will it be to acces the soda , juice and shirley temples. Will dh or I have to stop in the bar and try and get it or will there be several places around the ship?

we are going to catalina island and then to ensenada. In order to avoid paying tips and taxes when should i buy ....

do i buy once the ship is sailing to catalina or do i have to wait until we are in ensenada?

Heh, to most people I know, 3 diet sodas a day is nothing - of course, most of them don't drink coffee. I have a 32 ounce diet fountain soda just about every day - that's about 3 can's worth. I'd drink more if canned sodas didn't give me migraines.

I always get the soda card, because you can also use them for selzer with lemon and tonic with lemon. I like to drink ginger ale, too. I don't tend to buy a lot of mixed drinks (though I do buy a few on board) and it is nice to sit in a bar with selzer and lemon. And then, if you want a soda you can get one easily. So, I would say yes! Get one!

I've seen conflicting info. If they are canned drinks can you still get an insulated bottle filled? I know when we went on RCCL they were fountain and we alsways just filled our squeeze bottle. So do they just use more than 1 can or not?

I ask because getting diet coke at a glass a time will wear me out. I definitely need the card. If I carried on my weeks supply I have no room for luggage :). A 12 pk a day is about my norm and at a restaurant it's nothing to drink 4 refils at 1 meal. :eek:

I figure if I keep ingesting that many perservatives I'll never get old :rolleyes:

Thanks

I've seen conflicting info. If they are canned drinks can you still get an insulated bottle filled? I know when we went on RCCL they were fountain and we alsways just filled our squeeze bottle. So do they just use more than 1 can or not?

I ask because getting diet coke at a glass a time will wear me out. I definitely need the card. If I carried on my weeks supply I have no room for luggage :). A 12 pk a day is about my norm and at a restaurant it's nothing to drink 4 refils at 1 meal. :eek:

I figure if I keep ingesting that many perservatives I'll never get old :rolleyes:

Thanks

Or the Aspartame will eat your liver and kidneys down to hard marbles! :eek:;):eek: (just joking with you...well, kinda cause it IS really bad for ya, but so is breathing air these days, huh?!) LOL

we are going to catalina island and then to ensenada. In order to avoid paying tips and taxes when should i buy ....

do i buy once the ship is sailing to catalina or do i have to wait until we are in ensenada?

I sailed on the Sapphire Princess out of LA a couple years ago, bought the soda sticker as we boarded, and didn't pay local sales tax. You won't avoid paying the 15% tip though.

Archived