OK, you experienced Alaskan CC'rs: I need your opinions

Stokeset

After 4 years, DH and I are planning a return to Alaska for early Sept 2010. From our prior experience, we have narrowed down the wants from the wishes and have a preliminary pre-cruise iten that includes an extended stay inside Denali, some portion by train, and Kenai day trip. Due to the support of this site, I feel confident that all of you will give me your best opinion as to the logistics, any errors in my thinking and any ways I could do better and/or at less cost. So here goes:

1st day: Arrive Anchorage late night: Stay Comfort Inn Ship Creek as they do airport pickup, close to railway, have laundry facilities (this is important for later) and will store our pre-cruise luggage until we return. Estimating next year’s cost: @120/nt

(if you know of a place that can do these same things at a better cost or location please comment)

2nd Day: Catch motor coach from Egan Center (is this a short walk from Comfort Inn?)

at 7:30AM for drive to RR station in Denali. Arrive around 12:30pm @ 85/pp

(I’m looking at Alaska Motorcoach services, but will consider others)

Transfer provided by Denali Backcountry Lodge from station to their location w/i DNP. Arrive in time for dinner and be prepared to crash.

3rd, 4th day: Explore all the possibilities this location can provide: any recommendations by those who have stayed here will be appreciated!

5th day: Early departure for RR station and day trip by train back to Anchorage. Ordering tickets by web and have estimated a price increase for next year: @ 125/pp

Return to Comfort Inn, wash clothes @ 120/nt

6th day: Pickup by Renown Tours (@ 9AM?) for 6 hour Kenai trip. I understand they will assist with holding luggage and getting you to your cruise ship after the excursion…comments please… @150/pp

Cruise departs at 8PM

Given the expense of pre-cruise, the majority of our money will be spent on it vs. cruise port excursions (where we spent a lot of money last time). Thanks for your input! Liz

After 4 years, DH and I are planning a return to Alaska for early Sept 2010. From our prior experience, we have narrowed down the wants from the wishes and have a preliminary pre-cruise iten that includes an extended stay inside Denali, some portion by train, and Kenai day trip. Due to the support of this site, I feel confident that all of you will give me your best opinion as to the logistics, any errors in my thinking and any ways I could do better and/or at less cost. So here goes:

1st day: Arrive Anchorage late night: Stay Comfort Inn Ship Creek as they do airport pickup, close to railway, have laundry facilities (this is important for later) and will store our pre-cruise luggage until we return. Estimating next year’s cost: @120/nt

(if you know of a place that can do these same things at a better cost or location please comment)

2nd Day: Catch motor coach from Egan Center (is this a short walk from Comfort Inn?)

at 7:30AM for drive to RR station in Denali. Arrive around 12:30pm @ 85/pp

(I’m looking at Alaska Motorcoach services, but will consider others)

Transfer provided by Denali Backcountry Lodge from station to their location w/i DNP. Arrive in time for dinner and be prepared to crash.

3rd, 4th day: Explore all the possibilities this location can provide: any recommendations by those who have stayed here will be appreciated!

5th day: Early departure for RR station and day trip by train back to Anchorage. Ordering tickets by web and have estimated a price increase for next year: @ 125/pp

Return to Comfort Inn, wash clothes @ 120/nt

6th day: Pickup by Renown Tours (@ 9AM?) for 6 hour Kenai trip. I understand they will assist with holding luggage and getting you to your cruise ship after the excursion…comments please… @150/pp

Cruise departs at 8PM

Given the expense of pre-cruise, the majority of our money will be spent on it vs. cruise port excursions (where we spent a lot of money last time). Thanks for your input! Liz

Not sure I'm reading it right but are you staying 3 nights at Denali Backcountry Lodge ? If so what does that cost per night? Can't decide whether to book a cruiseline land tour before our cruise or book everything ourselves.

Jimbo:)

I question your September choice. Mid-September one can expect snow in Denali. Also its a rainy part of the year. But other statements, your choice of hotel is good and convenient. I've seen their shuttle bus so perhaps they can drive you to the convention center, there is a hill 1-2 blocks if you walk. You will probably see many end-of-season close-out sales too, so thats a plus. Well, my thoughts basically are along the lines of its a pricy trip, so if you're going to spend the $$, do it at its peak of daylight. June or early July is nice. :)

Is there a particular reason you do not want to rent a car? I know we all have different interests and priorities, but it just seems like it might be more convenient and make better use of your time. You could actually stop along the way to see the sites. I know car rentals can be high, but if you book well ahead of time, you can often find a deal. Last year we paid $187 I think for 9 days for a full size car through Enterprise Downtown. We decided to drop it off at the airport so it cost us another $40. I booked about 10-11 months out. Just a thought, that is all. The thing about the train from Anchorage to Denali is it basically travels along the Parks Highway. So, the scenery is not something different from the train. Just my two cents.

Thank you so much for your insightful and constuctive comments, as these are the kinds of responses I had hope my post would generate.

Our highest priority was to get inside Denali for period of time and are still tossing around the possibility of RV rental. I had hoped that someone who had stayed at Denali Backcountry Lodge would respond to let me know if the big bucks are worth it.

We did September on the prior trip and found the weather good at that time, of course, it could have been a fluke. But the main reason was to avoid the bugs. Had not considered the lack of daylight. That puts a different spin on it, doesn't it? Thanks again. Back to the drawing board (or keyboard as it were) for more research.

Wow lotsa activity on this thread in just a few hours ;-)

Stayed three nights at DBL in July and it was definitely worth it. See my review linked below plus one on tripadvisor.com. Ship Creek is prolly not walking distance to Egan Center with luggage, but neither was the Days Inn and we did it ;-) It is very convenient to AKRR station, however and they shuttle there. I believe they will also shuttle to Egan Center if requested. An alternative first Anchorage night might be the Copper Whale Inn B&B at the end of 5th Street near the Coastal Trail. Finally, the Renown boat tour we took coincided with the Anchorage train arrival in Seward at 11 and ended at 5:30, plenty of time to board ship with a 9pm departure.

I read your review, along with others, on trip advisor, and it helped clarify some of my ideas about DBCL. I also realized from your comments that I didn't specify that our cruise leaves from Whittier, so will that preclude Renown from assisting us back to that port?

Whittier is 75 miles from Seward, and the trip has to be timed to make it through the tunnel. So if your Reknown trip is over at 5:30, even if you have your own car and can get on the way by 5:45, you won't make the 6:30 tunnel opening. So that leaves the 7:30-7:45 opening. If the cruise actually is scheduled to depart at 8, you won't make it! On board by 8, maybe. No way with other transportation, even if they would take you to Whittier, which I doubt, anyway. Depends on getting the car rental turned in, etc. I guess you'll be rethinking this part of the plan!

I read your review, along with others, on trip advisor, and it helped clarify some of my ideas about DBCL. I also realized from your comments that I didn't specify that our cruise leaves from Whittier, so will that preclude Renown from assisting us back to that port?

You would have to arrange your own transportation to get to Whittier from Seward. If you want to do a Renown or other Kenai Fjords boat tour, I would do it the day before you are leaving on your cruise from Whittier. As already mentioned, that is just cutting it way to close and even if everything went perfectly, you still might not get to the ship in time for final boarding.

PJs Taxis in Seward will take you to Whittier. Best to book ahead. If you wanted you could either go to Whittier the day of your Kenai Fjords tour or the following morning. There are great boat tours out of Whittier too. You could take a Prince William Sound tour from Whittier. The tours going through Esther Passage get the best reviews. Kenai Fjords tours are wildlife tours with a stop at a glacier. PWS tours are glacier viewing tours. The tours end with enough time for you to board your ship.

If it were me, I would have PJs or other transportation take me to Whittier after the Kenai Fjords tour. There is not much in Whittier and very little choice in lodgings, but you would be there and you could sleep in if you wanted. Then take your PWS tour the following morning and board your cruise ship after the tour. Just a thought if these kinds of things interest you. You will need to check schedules because as you get into September the tour companies cut back on their tours. Check their websites for final dates in the season. If they don't have next year's schedule up, send them an email. For anything you really want to do, double check with the vendors now, so you won't be disappointed.

There is a morning KFNP cruise timed for NB ship arrivals that returns early afternoon. Check with the vendor. Prince William Sound also seems like a comparable cruise to Kenai Fjords. I would consider that as an alternative. If I had to choose between a stay inside Denali and Kenai Fjords, I would probably choose Denali, although it would be a difficult choice.

As I discovered on my journey in July, it is not possible to do it all at once. A second (or so) visit may be required. I think my next visit will concentrate on Juneau, Glacier Bay, and Pt. Adolphus, and may not even include a large vessel cruise.

As a further suggestion, northbound trips are superior for taking advantage of the weather. The Inside Passage, drops off SIGNIFICANTLY, way more than interior Alaska. As a suggestion, IF you continue to want a southbound cruise, I would definately move up your trip to end of August for interior Alaska and Inside passage, not past the first week of Sept.

I have gone in this timeframe many times. As for Kantishna, you need to have your plans for the area. And fully aware what activities are going to be available for you. For wildlife, you have to be on the move, Kantishna is a lower sighting area than mid- Eielson area.

The Skylon Lodge is the cheapest Kantishna option, which does get good reviews.

Overall, I would move up the trip into August.

Archived