Layover time in Paris

mrscruisequeen

I am looking at flights for our cruise next year and have a question....

On our flight back to the USA from Barcelona, I an looking at different options for our flight home.

One is a layover at CDG airport in Paris. We would arrive at 7:15pm and depart the following morning at 11am.

I looked on line and say that Paris is 14 miles from the airport.

Would we have time to go into Paris for the evening, then back to the airport later that night or in the morning?

Would this be a reasonable thing to try to do, and would it be to costly to get to the city and back?

Thanks in advance...Jeanne

It certainly is doable by way of the RER train

http://www.ratp.info/informer/anglais/aeroports.php

Staying near the airport makes sense, be sure to allow for "last train" but you should have a chance for a good dinner in Paris and at least the Arc de Triomphe and Tour Eiffel at night.

For what it's worth.... A Parisian client on a recent trip warned me against taking the RER to the airport late at night. It goes through some areas where there have been problems with youth gangs; not an issue during the day or early evening when it is crowded. A cab from central Paris to CDG should be around €50 to €60.

I hate to agree with this last post, but it is good advice. note: I hate to agree not for the truth of the statement but that it is necessary that it should be made. France is in general a safe and friendly country, but those northern suburbs have been the scene of much discord in the past few years.

On rethinking it may be best to stay in the city.

Thanks all for the information.

If we do end up taking this flight, we will skip going into Paris, as it does sound to expensive and maybe stressful.

Not the way we would want to end our vacation:eek:

We have many options for flights, so will just wait and see what the best price is.

Thanks, Jeanne

Please, Paris itself is not stressfull. Paris is sublime. The problem is Paris suburbs at night. Inner Paris at night is as safe as any large city. So stay in the city and take the train back to the airport in the morning.

One could also take the Roissy bus from the Opera nonstop to CDG last bus at 11:00pm.

I would not go into Paris from the CDG airport. It is not as close as it seems. Remember on your flight the next morning you have to arrive at least two hours in advance. Personally, I would only go there if you are going to spend a couple of days in Paris. Otherwise I would find a better airport to go through such as London.

Keith

I would also avoid London. Not only is London extremely expensive, the airports are a nightmare to get through. Amsterdam is a great stopover. 20 minutes by train and you are in Amsterdam. There is a CitizenM, Sheraton and Hilton right at the airport (plus several other hotels nearby that provide free shuttles). From Amsterdam Central Station you can walk to many great restaurants and museums.

I agree that is you are just looking for a good airport to transit in, Amsterdam beats London and Paris.

I agree completely! We had a wonderful overnight stay at the Novotel Hotel with free shuttle service to and from the airport. It is only a 15-20 minute easy train ride into Amsterdam to see some of the sites too. Their public buses operate in the evening for easy transport too.

Archived