The 8-Day WHILRWIND Mystery Tour on the 8/15 Freedom. A review. With pics!

CeleBrat

We dock at Virgin Gorda, and are shuttled into nearby safari taxis.

DSCF1870.jpg

Unfortunately, because we were seated on the top deck of the ferry far forward, we are among the last to get off, and there is no room for us in the safari taxis. So, we are forced to wait with another family while another taxi is dispatched. This one, fortunately, or unfortunately, is a normal van. Fortunately, it has air conditioning. Unfortunately, I am sitting in the back of the van, which is causing my poor seasick stomach to be thisclose to throwing up. Mind over matter, and white knuckles on the seat front, I make it through the 5 minute trip to the Baths National Park. My emergency Dramamine is back in our cabin.

DH can find a Marshall’s amongst the tropical paradise, but when I need a Walgreen’s to but Dramamine, there are none –to-be-found. CURSES!

We arrive at the Baths to find a long line of former ferry guests, who have all queued up to purchase tickets to enter the park. (NOTE—The Baths are in a National Park, and thus there is a small entrance fee.)

DSCF1996.jpg

Now, there is one thing we have learned to do while being on vacation, and that is NEVER WAIT IN LINE IF YOU ARE LAST. Since we were last to arrive, we were not about to stand in the sun in a line.

**We also use this trick when buying BINGO cards in the ship. No standing in line for me. I wait until the line is almost gone, then jump up to buy my card. Little secret from me---feel free to use**

Instead, we walked over to the nearby shade/bus shelter, and sat down. Rather, I laid down on the bench, while the kids were enchanted by the wild chicken that were running about.

DSCF1873.jpg

Disclaimer--DD is not sick. She's looking at the chicken that in between those two rocks.

DSCF1872.jpg

Sure enough, the line had subsided 15 minutes later, and we casually walked over to the ticket window to purchase those tickets. That 15 minute “nap” was also exactly what my stomach needed in order to settle down too. Phew!

The view from the top of the Baths is stark. Where are those big rocks everyone is talking about? And, what's with the cactuses?

DSCF1997.jpg

To get to the actual Baths site, you have to walk down a rocky path. Just that walk alone was enough of a WOW factor for the kids. It was fun!

DSCF1875.jpg

Check out skull rock.

DSCF1881.jpg

DS, who has emerged from his grumpiness enough to say, "Hey Mom! Take a picture of me pretending to be super-strong and pushing this rock!"

OK

DSCF1880.jpg

Once at the bottom, our breath was once again taken away when we saw the amazing atmosphere of the Baths. Palm trees, huge dinosaur-sized rocks, crashing waves, and a rustic bar. WOW! WOW! WOW!

DSCF1884.jpg

Who has been to Disney's Typhoon Lagoon? Doesn't this seem like the real-life version of it?

DSCF1989.jpg

After arranging for a locker ($2.50 for key from the bar), we plopped our non-valuable things down underneath the shade of a nearby tree. DS was beside himself and couldn’t wait to start exploring the Baths.

But first, we needed to make sure that DS took note of the safety sign, since he had that "jellyfish" encounter in the Bahamas.

DSCF1883.jpg

Lots to see and do at the Baths. Where to first...?

DSCF1959.jpg

I stop everyone so we can read the historical sign, but the kids say, "Awwww, Mom! Let's go!" So instead, I take a quick pic, vowing to read the historical fine print later.

DSCF1886.jpg

I am in photographic overload, and literally can't take two steps without snapping a photo. It's overwhelming!

DSCF1936-1.jpg

To enter the actual rocky path of the waterside Baths, you have to squeeze through this tiny hole in the rocks, no matter whether you're a small DD, or larger-sized DH.

DSCF1887.jpg

We feel like we are explorer pirates, climbing through the rocks.

DSCF1982.jpg

Since these were dinosaur-sized rocks, it is only fitting to refer to call this one "dinosaur nostril".

DSCF1921.jpg

The marked path that leads through the Baths ends at Devil’s Bay, which is an equally as beautiful beach on the “other” side of the rocks, where we stopped to cool off with a swim amongst the rocks.

DSCF1934.jpg

DSCF1929.jpg

Since I had researched the Baths beforehand on cruisecritic, our family was well-prepared with water shoes for today. We felt sorry for some of the other people who were wincing as they climbed through the rocks, barefoot.

DSCF1903.jpg

That’s not to say that we didn’t walk away without injury. All 4 of us managed to scrape our backs/arms/legs/elbows on some sort of rocks somewhere along the way squeezing between the rocks.

DSCF1970.jpg

Although this all sounds very dangerous, as long as you are mindful of where you step, and what to hold on to, you will be OK. Throughout the rocks, there a few strategically placed staircases and ropes to hang onto.

DSCF1902.jpg

Although...this staircase didn't have real stairs, and you had to duck to avoid hitting your head on the rocks above.

DSCF1923-1.jpg

I actually carried my regular “fancy” digital camera throughout the whole rock-climbing expedition, and didn’t once drop it or get it wet. Oh, the lengths I go to to get those great shots!

DSCF1967.jpg

DD, who is 6, also did really well climbing through the rocks. Granted, she is small, so she was able to easy walk through some of the lower hanging rocks without even ducking. Like here:

DSCF1913-1.jpg

But, she was able to keep up with us even as we climbed up the bigger rocks.

DSCF1911.jpg

It was high tide when we arrived at the Baths, so there was water amongst many of the rocks. Sometime, it would come crashing though the nooks and crannies, which was alarming, yet fun!

DSCF1897.jpg

DS says again, "Mom, take a picture of me pushing this rock!"

OK

DSCF1975.jpg

He is also fascinated by the abandoned exoskeleton of this crab.

DSCF1938-1.jpg

We spend about an hour exploring the rocks, then head back to the Cane Bay Beach side of the Baths to enjoy the beach.

DSCF1993.jpg

NOTE the Del Sol color-changing nail polish on my toes :rolleyes:

We explore the beach, spend time in the waves, then decide it is time for snack in lieu of lunch. The Poor Man’s Bar, located nearby on the beach, offered a full menu of alcoholic drinks, as well as hotdogs, hamburgers, chips and candy. Don’t look into the kitchen though. No stainless steel appliances or shiny countertops…you may be afraid to eat!

DSCF1955.jpg

There is a swing, which is hung off to the side of the bar, and it is a huge distraction for the kids. I have to repeatedly chastise them that it is NOT a normal swing, and can’t be swung as high as they would at home. They still have fun though!

DSCF1949.jpg

DSCF1952.jpg

DS loves climbing through the rocks so much, that I agree to go through them for a 2nd…and 3rd time. Clearly, I am a glutton for punishment. (I wondered why my calves hurt the next day…._) On our third trip through the Baths we have the place to ourselves, and almost all of the water has disappeared due to low tide. (NOTE—if you don’t like walking through the water, wait until later in the day to visit.)

After spending several hours at the Baths, we pack up and head back up path on the rocky hill to catch the 2:15 taxi to the 2:45pm ferry. As we leave, DS declares, “The Baths is my 2nd favorite place in the world, next to Rome.” WOW—that is quite a statement, coming from him.

This time, we are allowed to ride in an open-air safari taxi from Speedy's.

DSCF1998.jpg

DSCF1999.jpg

At the ferry pier, I notice this flyer attached to a nearby tree. Instantly I remember that people actually LIVE here, on this lush tropical paradise. And although I might wistfully dream of doing the same, I am reminded that island life is harder than I might think.

DSCF2000.jpg

There is no running "out on a whim" to Target, or Wal-Mart to pick up school supplies and clothing. Well, unless you're DH...He could find a mainstream clothing store anywhere!

It's funny. I try my best to wait until I think a review has time to be finished before I start reading because I hate to have to wait. Yep. Impatience, thy name is Lorrie. So..... hurry and finish.

OMG--I totally do the same thing, as I HATE having to wait for some to "get around" to posting more. So, I am trying my best to not string you guys along for too long.

CeleBrat

I think this photo is just awesome. With all the crosses, the castle, the beach and the sea - this is a very cool picture. I like so many are enjoying your review and the pictures are great! Thanks for taking the time to share.

Thanks! I loved the view too, and couldn't resist taking the pic for the same reasons. Something about the contrast of the stark white of the cemetery and stone cold grey of the turret.

CeleBrat

I know that you still have more to post - but I hope you know that you are providing such enjoyment for all that read your reviews. I read where someone posted a suggestion for you to put all of this in a book, which I think is a great idea. Even if you do not actually go and publish it, it would be great for your family to have.

And since we all know that those two $100 certificates can burn for only so long - be sure to post when you guys are cruising again so we can all look for your next cruise review!

I am sailing on the Freedom 9/12 with an absolutely terrific Roll Call who is having so much fun online that we have decided to plan another cruise on the Dream in 2011...and most of us haven't even met yet!

You have a gift, and I thank you for sharing it with all of us!

WOW--It's a little overwhelming to hear such nice things. Please know that your words mean a lot to me. THANKS!!!!

You deserve the praise...your reviews are fantastic :) You make us feel like we are there with you ....what a talent...thanks for sharing this

I am amazed by the details on the Baths....I have never been to Tortola, and would love to go, you really made it come alive, wow

I still say you could do a Travel Channel Family Travel show <grin>>> or maybe you should start a blog, and repost your reviews there for people to see all of them??

I can't wait to hear where you guys are going next (hint : you would do an awesome job of showing us the Dream, but really it seems that you guys enjoy any cruise you do and graciously allow others to enjoy your travels vicariously)

thanks again

Your review is wonderful - thank you for sharing your experiences and pictures with us.

My question - what type of camera(s) do you use? I am thinking about getting a new camera for our upcoming cruise in March, and am just wondering what type you use as your pictures seem to be very clear.

Thanks!

Celebrat said "DS loves climbing through the rocks so much, that I agree to go through them for a 2nd…and 3rd time. Clearly, I am a glutton for punishment. (I wondered why my calves hurt the next day…._) On our third trip through the Baths we have the place to ourselves, and almost all of the water has disappeared due to low tide. (NOTE—if you don’t like walking through the water, wait until later in the day to visit.)"

Celebrat, just to nitpick a bit, based on a prior post you live FL like I do, but tides do not occur at the same time each day. They move base on the phase of the moon, so someone taking a later cruise has the potiential to have low tide in the morning and high tide in the afternoon.

Not a biggy but wanted our non-coastal living cruising brethren to understand this. I spent 10 years of my post college life living in Omaha, and had several conversations with the locals clearing up misconceptions about the ocean.

Definitely enjoy reading your review and love the pictures.

Thanks for such a wonderful review. I agree! You could write a book or do a show on the Travel Channel.

We also cruised on the Legend with you (and just missed you on Costa a few times too) and I really enjoyed that review too. I loved your perspective on "The hour the lights went out"!

DH and I will be on the Fredom in 2 weeks and can't wait to experience some of the same places that you went. Your days seem so long and full of fun. Hope our days feel that way too. :)

Thanks again!

There are many people on the ferry dock, awaiting their turn to board the ferry. It is a little disconcerting to see a few people that are carrying suitcases. How quickly we forget that something that is a day’s worth of fun for us, is also a serious form of transportation for others.

DSCF2001.jpg

The ferry going back to Roadtown is full to capacity, and we end up sitting in the dreaded down below” seats. GASP! I am nervous and agitated, knowing that there is no way I can survive the 30 minute ferry ride without getting sea sick and throwing up since my head is still a little wobbly from the earlier trip. And I don’t know about you, but HATE to throw up in public.

The kids and I sit on one bench, while DH ends up sitting across the aisle. I give him a forlorn look with my eyes.

“What?” he asks.

“I don’t know about this…I’m going to be sick, and we haven’t even left yet,” I whine. I go through my bag mentally, remembering that worst-case, we have a ziplock biggie full of shells that can be emptied for use as a barf bag.

The local woman sitting next to me seems to scoot over just a tad, obviously trying to move away from the crazy seasick tourist.

DH says to me, in his “dad” voice, "You’re just going to HAVE to do this. There are no other options. It’s this ferry, in these seats.” No sympathy from him.

So, I lean back and recline in the bench seat (if that’s even possible) and shut my eyes, hoping that if I can’t see that we’re moving, then my equilibrium will be OK.

It works! I travel whole way half-laying, with eyes squeezed shut. Maybe I even fell asleep.

As the ferry pulls up to the dock, the mood is very subdued. Ferry passengers include tired and sandy tourists like us and locals who are commuting for the day. No matter who you were, it was clear that everyone was lost in thought. It would have been perfectly themed, had some ENYA music been playing. DS and DD too, were wrapped up deep in thought.

DSCF2002.jpg

After leaving the ferry, we walk back to the ship. All 5+ blocks. DH and DS head straight back to the ship, while DD and I stop for a few minutes of power shopping at the outdoor market that has been set up just outside the pier gates.

DSCF2003.jpg

We pick up a few bobble head animals, a painting, 2 wood bead necklaces, and a Christmas ornament. Not too bad for 10 minutes of shopping.

Then, a few short steps and we are back along side of the ship. DD and I check out several of the pier markings, and find one of our favorites.

DSCF2017.jpg

I think****The pier markings are used as a parking gauge for the cruise ships. Have you ever seen people who hang a small weight on a string in their garage so that they know what distance their car needs to be pulled into? My in-laws do that. Same concept with these painted markings, but for a bigger vehicle. :eek: Our family loves to look at these markings at every port we stop at. It’s always fun to see what OTHER ships stop there too, and if one of them is a ship we’ve actually been on. Check it out for yourselves next time you dock somewhere.

DSCF2016.jpg

In typical “the cruise is almost ended” fashion, we are hesitant to step back onboard the ship, knowing that this is the last land-based stop we will be at. Many people have had this same thought, that the next time they get off the ship, they will be GETTING OFF the ship permanently. So, I take a flurry of boat pics, as if to savor the memory.

DSCF2012.jpg

DSCF2010.jpg

DSCF2015.jpg

DSCF2009.jpg

You deserve the praise...your reviews are fantastic :) You make us feel like we are there with you ....what a talent...thanks for sharing this

I am amazed by the details on the Baths....I have never been to Tortola, and would love to go, you really made it come alive, wow

I still say you could do a Travel Channel Family Travel show <grin>>> or maybe you should start a blog, and repost your reviews there for people to see all of them??

I can't wait to hear where you guys are going next (hint : you would do an awesome job of showing us the Dream, but really it seems that you guys enjoy any cruise you do and graciously allow others to enjoy your travels vicariously)

thanks again

I second the blog! :)

But on the ship we go…sadly. Actually, I’m sad. DD is skipping, totally oblivious to the significance of the moment.

Before heading up to the cabin, DD and I take a detour to Deck 9 to pick up a few snacks. Ice cream for the girls and fries for the boys. DS totally lives it up, and barely lifts a finger to eat those fries. Such a life...!

DSCF2022.jpg

It isn’t long before the ship sails away from Tortola, and we are treated to a neat view of the PILOT boat from our window seat.

DSCF2024.jpg

Before dinner, DH and I head up to the Past Guest party, to partake in a few free drinks. I enjoyed the colorful ones, which were Whiskey Sours and a Margarita of some sort. I had 2, or 3…or 5.

DSCF2026.jpg

At the party, we saw the same old, same old Carnival video and cheered for our favorite ships. John Heald then took the stage to hard-sell us on the Future Cruise Certificate (sorry John, already bought 2) and the new Carnival Dream, which debuts soon. He was very proud to talk about the fabulous details of the new Dream, and to share that he is the Cruise Director for it. Although we haven’t booked the Dream, yet, I hope to someday…

Since we've had a few drinks, we take a moment to admire the chandelier in the theater. It is beautiful. We also have a very scholarly/drunk conversation about the theme of the ship, which seems to be very confusing. The Freedom Restaurant with Lady Liberty? Got it. The Monticello Library? Makes sense. Victoriana Theater with chandelier and romanesque paintings? Huh? Swingtime Bar? Nope. Is the theme freedom/patriotism.US History, or eras of time, or types of music? Too confusing, especially for this free-drink-addled mind.

DSCF2025.jpg

Speaking of random drunken thoughts, we also realize that we missed the Captain's Welcome Party? Was there one? We don't remember seeing it in the Capers. But, the first formal night, landed on our 3rd day of the cruise, rather than the 2nd day. Perhaps is was another Caper typo.

After the party, we rejoined the kids and headed to dinner. Walking through the lobby, I saw the funniest “YOU ARE HERE” picture ever!

DSCF2035.jpg

Do you see how close we are to Hurricane Bill? That is INSANE! Truly! We live in Florida, and have had many near-miss hurricane experiences. But each and every time, when a hurricane is anywhere near Florida, we get winds and rain for DAYS on end, even though the storm is hundreds of miles away.

So, it is inconceivable that we could be that close to the Hurricane and not be feeling anything. At all. Nothing. No rain, no wind. Not even choppier-than-normal seas. I must remember to thank the Captain for activating the safety shield around the ship. Those in the know claim that we are on the "quiet" side of the storm. Whatever! Indestrucible safety shield, I swear!

And as if Mother Nature is truly joking with us, we see this at dinner. What the heck?

DSCF2030.jpg

After dinner plans include taking it easy. DH and DS watch “BOLT” poolside. DS, in keeping with the “life of leisure” mindset, relaxes in the hot tub while the movie is playing.

DSCF2034.jpg

(Not to worry, cruisecritic CHILDREN IN HOT TUB debaters. There were no adults in the hot tub at the time, and the kids were sitting still, absolutely mesmerized by the movie :))

DD and I hit up the “Jump, Jive, and Wail” show. We don’t enjoy it, probably because we had strange balcony seats. We actually sat on the far, far right of the theater, in the front row balcony seat. But, we couldn’t see portions of the stage, and actually spent most of the time watching the dancers standing in the wings, and checking out what was going on in the band pit that was being lowered and raised.

We retire to our cabin and find our towel animal friend of the day. Although he looks like a turtle, we choose to believe he is a dinosaur, in keeping with the BATHS-rocks-are-dinosaur-sized theme from earlier in the day.

towel.jpg

Sweet dreams were had by all.

Your DD's face is priceless! She seems to be a 'little ham' from other pics I've seen. Has she had acting classes? She's adorable...:D

Too funny that you asked this as I was thinking the same thing. She is a natural and looks truly shocked and terrified at the same time.

Priceless!!!

Archived