Walk for the cure?

kimala

Any recent Carnival cruisers witnessed or taken part in the "walk for the cure" to raise money for Breast Cancer? My husband and I will be on Liberty Oct 24 and I would like to participate to honor my sister who had a double mastectomy this year.

This is the ultimate highlight of the week for me! It is a really wonderful way to honour your sister. I hope she is doing well.

You sign up in formalities for $10 a person, and receive a t-shirt and wristband. There is a meeting time and place for the walk, usually on the last sea day. I've had two times where pink lemonade was served, and it was lovely! It can be a really special time with many survivors participating as a walk of celebration, and lots of tears. Many people write things on their shirt like who they are walking for, or "cancer-free for x years" or things like that.

I look forward to the walk each cruise, and it's always great to see more people participate. I've even seen people walking around my town in their On Deck for the Cure shirts!

They do it all year long.

Oh, by the way, there are usually lots of men! Even my DH will don the pink ribbon shirt to walk. Our good friend did it with us last year, and there was no way he would ever get that shirt on, so he wore it wrapped around his head with the ribbon facing forward. I thought he should have cut it up to make a tube top.

I will wear the shirt for the walk and than it goes to my DW. I think she has about 6 now. At some point we will make the donation and let Carnival keep the shirt.

However would than have to bring one with us and than more to pack.

On second thought we will let Carnival give us the shirt,

What I do find surprising is how few young women go on the walk.

The walk is conducted on all six day and longer cruises on Carnival ships. It's been tremendously successful.

We did a five day cruise, John Heald's Blogger's Cruise, on the Fantasy this past February and I petitioned the cruise director, Big Tex, to allow us to do a Walk.

Through some extraordinary effort on the part of the folks in Miami the t-shirts and wrist bands were overnighted to NOLA and put aboard the ship.

We had over 140 folks participate.

It's a brilliant event. I encourage everyone to ask for a Walk on their cruise.

I lost my mom to breast cancer many years ago.

There was a walk on my Destiny 5 day cruise in May, as well as my 7 day on the Victory last May...so it seems to vary from ship to ship/length of cruise. I participated in both of them and plan to do it again in October! I think it's the least we can do, give a small portion of our cruise to a great cause! I'm 23 and I think I've been pretty much the youngest by about 15 years both times, I just don't understand. I think perhaps there should be more talk about it around the ship, more advertising about it. I can't imagine more people not being interested in it!

Megan

We did this on the Liberty last year - what a great event. I too lost my mom to breast cancer when I was 20 (16 years ago) and I found this event wonderful but VERY emotional. My husband and kids walked with me. I liked that the CD, Captain and other staff walked too and chatted with the walkers they didn't just walk as a group on their own.

Keep it up Carnival - well done for all the money you are raising for this VERY worth while cause!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!

We did this on the Liberty last year - what a great event. I too lost my mom to breast cancer when I was 20 (16 years ago) and I found this event wonderful but VERY emotional. My husband and kids walked with me. I liked that the CD, Captain and other staff walked too and chatted with the walkers they didn't just walk as a group on their own.

Keep it up Carnival - well done for all the money you are raising for this VERY worth while cause!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!

Yeah, the upcoming Walk on the Conquest will be my sixth and every time I participate I shed a few tears.

This whole thing started on Holland America and has been a blessing ever since.

:)

I've participated with as few as 6 total walkers to 200+

But the sad thing is that usually people are lying around baking their skin on deck and just say things like "oh, that must be some group thing". One time the stupid entertainment staff actually scheduled a bean bag tournament on the walking track during the walk. We walked around several times, until someone finally picked up the beanbag stuff (to the anger of the participants of the beanbag tournament, and the social host) and moved it off the track. We all cheered!

Obviously the ads in the capers are missed along with all the junk advertising, because each time there were pink sheets advertising the walk, and there were announcements at the various shows and talks. Still most people seemed oblivious. I know it stinks for me to have a bad attitude. But really... 6 walkers? out of 2000+ guests? DH and I and a nice family of 4. We walked with the assistant CD the whole time, which was fun.

They really need to have some sort of better advertising or something that will get more people to participate. If you know about it and choose not to participate that's one thing, but so many people seem unaware.

Any great marketers here on the boards? How could the walk be better promoted onboard? What about something written in the menu the night before? Or posters placed in different places onboard?

ok, off my soapbox!

I am cruising with my Grandma (this December) on the Valor. She is a breast cancer survivor. I can't wait till she see's all of the people lined up to walk on deck for a cure. I read somewhere on one of these posts that she might get a pink tshirt and might get to start the walk. Well, she is in a wheelchair and I will be pushing her...anyone care to help.

Any recent Carnival cruisers witnessed or taken part in the "walk for the cure" to raise money for Breast Cancer? My husband and I will be on Liberty Oct 24 and I would like to participate to honor my sister who had a double mastectomy this year.

We walked for the first time on the Legend 7/09 in memory of my cousin who passed in April. What a wonderful feeling to gift something back. It's usually on the last day at sea in the afternoon. You sign up in formalities and receive a t shirt and wrist band.

We had a large group and raised over $2,000 on that cruise alone. Just imagine the money raised from the Carnival fleet. What a fantastic opportunity for cruisers to give to such a worthy cause. Walk on for the cure!! :)

• 1 month later...

My wife works for a prominent breast center in Knoxville TN. She sees how breast cancer is striking women of ALL AGES, some as young as late teens. Wee too will be on board the Liberty on October 24th and would very much like to be involved in this very worthwhile cause. I challenge all cruisers to take a few moments and walk in the "On deck for a cure". What better way to enjoy your cruise; knowing you just took a few minutes and in the process helped to change lives. I look forward to this being the largest turn out ever. God Bless, and keep you safe.

We participated in it on the Conquest on our 9/20 sailing. It's $10 per person and you get a T-shirt and a pink bracelet. I'll be wearing mine to work this month!

I am a 6 year breast cancer survivor and we went on our first cruise on the Conquest in May of 2008. I found out about the "On Deck for the Cure" and was so excited. There were probably about 30 of us walking including my DH. It was so awesome to me to be able to do something like that on a vacation of a lifetime. They said it was on 7 day or longer cruises and it wasn't offered on the Holiday last month so I didn't realize they did it on some shorter ones. That is great. I don't really fault the people not participating. After all they are on vacation, but I will say they are missing out. I am going on the Triumph for a 7 day cruise May 1st and will definitely participate again. I am really glad Carnival still does this. Do any other cruise lines do it?

This is so fantastic! I'm doing a 7 day on the Valor next September and I will be out there walking for my mom, who is a survivor, and my aunt, who is not.

Out of curiousity, does anyone know how long the walk is? 5k, 10k? I'm so glad I found these boards, otherwise I may never have known about this.

Archived