No More Life Jackets at Drill!

kruz

You mean no more pictures like this? Darn! Just look at all those happy faces....:D

2685823180071903042S600x600Q85.jpg

HA!!!, the lady in the lower left hand corner looks asleep. The no jacket drill worked great on Majesty earlier this year. Glad to see that fleet wide. WE'll be back in San Juan in Oct. for the Adventure and I don't even want to think about how hot it was at that drill 2 yrs ago w/ your giant orange collar on.

Someone should read the fine print in the cruise contract. I wonder if it says somethign about jackets like an airplane tix contract says "parachutes may not be worn or carried on the aircraft"

No life jackets required at muster drill on Mariner last week 8/16. Honest!

They have you watch a video on tv in your cabin. Life jackets are stored in closet. No need to wear them.

Although, one couple came out of their cabin wearing them, boy did they look out of place. LOL.. the quickly turned around and put them back in the cabin.

Karen

That's great.

So in a real emergency, the crew will have to waise precious time showing people how to put their life jackets on correctly:rolleyes:

It isn't exactly rocket science if you are reasonably intelligent. I figured mine out on my first cruise "all by myself" !!!!

When you fly, do they pass out oxygen masks to everyone? No, just the flight attendants put them on. It's the same concept, in my opinion. :D

well....same concept...BUT...as a flight attendant once whispered to me when I was telling my husband that "it's better to be at the back of the plane if it goes down.."

"....OH HONEY...EVERYBODY DIES!!....."

YES, that's a direct quote...(and in nearly all cases he's been right, unfortunately)

so same concept but somehow I think if ship is going down in the Caribbean there will be MANY survivors....so it's really not the same thing...

It never bothered me anyway, dont know what the fuss is about, and as for the muster drill, its half an hour at most out of the whole of the cruise and a bit of fun aswell as finding out what to do in an emergency.

Never bothered me either.........shoot the last few times its been less than 20 minutes...don't know what the big deal is about the life jackets...and I think for those who have NEVER cruised or used a life jacket that actually putting one on and knowing how it all works first hand would be a good thing....doing is always a better way to learn than watching....obviously it doesn't matter anymore....but not sure it was such a great thing to do...

sorry if you thought that i ment your parents would lie. Not my intention. Just had not heard of not needing the life jackets at muster drill. This always signaled the start of our cruise when we had to don our life jackets. :D

The new procedure was first reported here a few weeks ago and it appears that this procedure will be in place fleetwide by the end of this month if not before. I believe that Richard Fain first reported this development on his blog and also indicated that when Oasis and Allure begin sailing, life jackets will not be stored in the staterooms and in the event of a real emergency passengers will get them when they report to their muster stations. The important message to be gained from the muster drill is to listen to and follow the instructions of the crew in the event of an actual emergency, since in some instances a particular muster station may not even be available. The crew regularly trains for any number of possible contingencies, so following their directions is the most important thing to know.:)

Now I am really mad :mad:! I sailed on the Monarch on Aug. 17, evidently the last cruise before the no jacket drill. It was hotter than blue blazes and we were on the shady side!! The drill went on forever, but the worst thing is I did not take the camera to get a pic of the last jacket drill:mad:;)!

No problem:D Now you can go straight to the drill without having to stop in your stateroom..or worry about tripping over a strap going up and down the staircases!

And now we won't have to go back to the stateroom after the drill! Yay!!

Just back from the 8/17 Enchantment sailing. We DID have lifejackets in our cabins. We DID NOT have to wear them for the drill. It was still hot, we were still packed in like sardines, and CLEARLY some people should have been wearing more deodorant, lol, but it was awesome not to have to wear the jackets! They did show us how to wear them, just like they do on a plane. It was really nice not to have to go right back to the cabin after the drill.

I'm not sure I like the idea of not having lifevests in the stateroom, but I'm really glad we don't have to wear them to the muster drill anymore!

Life jackets will always be in your stateroom......always extras at each muster station. Just not needed at the drills.......YEAH!

It wasn't until about 3 cruises ago (we've been on 15) that I noticed the little glow in the dark life jacket emblem at the head of the bed where life jackets are stored under the bed.....BUT....when I looked under the bed they were not in the wire basket that holds them...they were all stuffed in he closet.

Life jackets will always be in your stateroom......always extras at each muster station. Just not needed at the drills.......YEAH!

It wasn't until about 3 cruises ago (we've been on 15) that I noticed the little glow in the dark life jacket emblem at the head of the bed where life jackets are stored under the bed.....BUT....when I looked under the bed they were not in the wire basket that holds them...they were all stuffed in he closet.

According to Richard Fain, and he should know, life jackets will not be in the staterooms on Oasis or Allure. At some point, unless this new procedure is determined to be unsatisfactory, the jackets will be removed from the staterooms on their other ships as well. If it does prove successful, you can expect to see other cruise lines follow suit.:)

According to Richard Fain, and he should know, life jackets will not be in the staterooms on Oasis or Allure. At some point, unless this new procedure is determined to be unsatisfactory, the jackets will be removed from the staterooms on their other ships as well. If it does prove successful, you can expect to see other cruise lines follow suit.:)

Thanks.....more room in the closet!!!! :)

Mkes perfect sense....most likley you are not in your cabin, unless its the middle of the night and you're sleeping.

To the people who don't understand what the big deal is about a 20-minute muster drill. Not wearing live jackets has nothing to do with that. We STILL have to muster and it STILL takes 20 minutes (although on my last cruise it took 30...I can't STAND the idiots that stroll in 15 minutes late because they want to be at the front of the line...grrrrr).

The great things about not wearing them are having to trek back to your cabin from way up on the pool deck to get your jacket. Then go to muster. Then stand there wearing this not-too-comfy thing for a half hour. Then the grand rush of a few thousand people racing back to their cabins. THEN the bigger rush to get back to the pool deck for sail away and by now of course, there are no "good spots."

THAT'S why most people are happy not to wear that fakakta jacket. :)

Archived