No More Life Jackets at Drill!

kruz

My parent just got off Freedom yesterday and it is no longer mandatory to wear your life vest to the drill...I may be repeating info (don't kill me please!) but just thought I would share.

Please, please, please tell me you are kidding! This is the part of the cruise that I was looking forward to the most. I so enjoy the opportunity to bond with my fellow cruisers by packing in together in the hot Florida sun and those bulky like jackets. Thanks for totally messing up my whole cruise. :D

Seriously, this would be great! If the ship is sinking, the only thing I need to know is where to go. If I'm in my room, I'll grab the life jackets. If I'm somewhere else, chances are I'm just going to book-it to the muster station and use a life jacket there.

Thanks for the info!

hmmmmmm wouldn't that defeat half the purpose of doing the life boat drill?

Interesting to know if this is true.

I seriously doubt my parents would lie to me!!! ( at least I would hope not at thier age!!)

It never bothered me anyway, dont know what the fuss is about, and as for the muster drill, its half an hour at most out of the whole of the cruise and a bit of fun aswell as finding out what to do in an emergency.

I have to agree, plus, some of the better cruise photos we've taken. ;)

I seriously doubt my parents would lie to me!!! ( at least I would hope not at thier age!!)

sorry if you thought that i ment your parents would lie. Not my intention. Just had not heard of not needing the life jackets at muster drill. This always signaled the start of our cruise when we had to don our life jackets. :D

sorry if you thought that i ment your parents would lie. Not my intention. Just had not heard of not needing the life jackets at muster drill. This always signaled the start of our cruise when we had to don our life jackets. :D

It is something new they have been working on in conjunction with the Coast Guard. They have been testing for several months on Majesty and seem to be taking it fleet wide. The decision was made to not have life jackets in the staterooms - all are located at the muster station.

If you notice at most muster stations there are large lockers with life jackets already - for all the individuals in an emergency who would not be in their cabin. So they decided to increase the amount of storage space for the jackets at each muster station.

Just got off Monarch this morning and the life jackets are now "optional". I think we saw maybe a half dozen people with them on.

Optional????????? Thats weird.........:rolleyes: they told us last weekend on the MN,no lifejackets wouldnt be effective till Sept 1st.............darn it,I missed it by a week.........

That's great.

So in a real emergency, the crew will have to waise precious time showing people how to put their life jackets on correctly:rolleyes:

There is still a muster drill and you are required to attend where you will be instructed on how to put on the life jacket.

That's great.

So in a real emergency, the crew will have to waise precious time showing people how to put their life jackets on correctly:rolleyes:

Just because they are not making me put it on, doesn't mean that the crew isn't going to put one on during the muster drill. When you fly, do they pass out oxygen masks to everyone? No, just the flight attendants put them on. It's the same concept, in my opinion.

If they make me wear the life vest, no problem. I'll do it without complaint. Either way...I'M GOING ON A CRUISE IN 13 DAYS!!!!:D

That's great.

Just because they are not making me put it on, doesn't mean that the crew isn't going to put one on during the muster drill. When you fly, do they pass out oxygen masks to everyone? No, just the flight attendants put them on. It's the same concept, in my opinion.

If they make me wear the life vest, no problem. I'll do it without complaint. Either way...I'M GOING ON A CRUISE IN 13 DAYS!!!!:D

[quote name=

I am on that cruise and can't wait for the 13 days to get over with.

Hey, I haven't seen you on the roll call for this cruise. You may want to stop over, they have a few things planned if you are interested.

No problem:D Now you can go straight to the drill without having to stop in your stateroom..or worry about tripping over a strap going up and down the staircases!

I can confirm that this is true with the Liberty of the Seas. We did not need lifejackets.

We still had to line up at the muster station, and once there, we they sounded the alarm (7 short blasts, followed by a long one, I think), and they we watched the staff demonstrate how to use a lifejacket.. just liek they show you on an airplane.

It was great.

Archived