Adjusting graduity to maitre d

manderson110

It is your money, you can do as you wish, there are people who remove the dining tips if they do not use the services. However I am sure you will see others post that you have to tip. Feel free to do as you choose.

Cheers,

Peter

Or the wait staff in dining room do you adjust tipping if you dont eat in dinig room ..carnival charges $5.50 per day..

the same wait staff that is in the dining room at night works in other venues. You are going to eat somewhere, and they are going to cook it and clear away your dishes and wash them. No, I dont adjust my tips, no matter where I decide to eat.

Do you adjust tip/graduity to the maitre d if you dont eat in the dining room at breakfast or lunch //

I don't tip the Maitre'd....unless he has done something specific for me or my guests. It's not necessary.

Or the wait staff in dining room do you adjust tipping if you dont eat in dinig room ..carnival charges $5.50 per day..

You eat somewhere don't you? The tip covers all service staff related to dining!

I couldn't get over how many envelopes were put on the desk for the Maitre'd!!! I was chatting with a waiter and we concluded that the Maitre'd ends up making approximately $20,000 a month with salary and tips.

The cruise director kept telling us that he wasn't included in the auto tip.

None of your automatic gratuity goes to the Maitre D', so you would simply not tip him in cash.

Even if you do not eat in the main dining room, you do eat somewhere, and someone has to serve and clean up after you, so adjustment of tips for that reason is not a great idea.

The evening waiters usual work the buffet area at breakfast and lunch. Are you tipping the buffet waiters at your non-dinig room meals?

I don't tip the Maitre'd....unless he has done something specific for me or my guests. It's not necessary.

On our first Carnival cruise, we never saw the Matre'D. But on the last night he was actually standing at the entrance to the dining room with his hand out waiting for money. I didn't give him any. I thought his action was in really poor taste.

I am a bit confused about the tip charges after reading this. I thougt Carnival charges you $10 per person per day for the auto tip. They also charge $5.50????? Is that right?

Can someone clarify what you are charged for tipping broken down with who it goes for?

And finally...someone said...you can remove the autotipping. Mayb I am old fashioned but i would prefer not to be precharged for tips...and rather hand it to someone who I dealt with. Its not the money...they can have the total ammount. just prefer not to be charged for it. Can I remove all tips from my charges and handle it the way i see fit? if so...is there an online way to do this or can I only do it in person on the ship?

Thanks...

I am a bit confused about the tip charges after reading this. I thougt Carnival charges you $10 per person per day for the auto tip. They also charge $5.50????? Is that right?

Can someone clarify what you are charged for tipping broken down with who it goes for?

And finally...someone said...you can remove the autotipping. Mayb I am old fashioned but i would prefer not to be precharged for tips...and rather hand it to someone who I dealt with. Its not the money...they can have the total ammount. just prefer not to be charged for it. Can I remove all tips from my charges and handle it the way i see fit? if so...is there an online way to do this or can I only do it in person on the ship?

Thanks...

You can remove the tips if you want and tip in cash. You have to do it once you get on the ship. I leave the auto tips on and just tip extra if necessary. I figure the auto-tips are direct deposited into their bank account and it's easier for them to access money for bills/needs than trying to deposit cash when they can't get off the boat.

Thanks...

The $10 a day includes the $5.50 for the dining staff. It gets divided up by the main waiter, asst waiter and the others. If you do decide to remove the auto-tip remember to also tip the one who rolls all the silverwear in the buffet.

The purser will remove them for you. Do it the first day so that they know that you are not upset with the service.

The waiters do know who does not pay the auto tips. The room stewards do not.

Now there is a good debate. Interesting that either side will know who tips what. What did you mean by answer for it? I wonder if by removing it you get better service as they want to make sure you take care of them...or if they give you attitude assuming you plan on not taking care of them. Interesting....

I'm not a big fan of the Maitre'd begging and generally don't tip but last year on our Miracle cruise we really enjoyed Frankie and my husband (who generally leaves me to handle all cruise deals) wanted to tip him. I was able to talk him down from $25 to $5. I liked him but I'd rather add that extra $20 to the working guys and gals tips.

I'm used to the old way too and was upset when they started the automatic tipping. BUT I can seriously say I have had just as good of service if not better with the automatic tips and have had no reason to undo any charges. If and when we do not eat in the dining room (which we only do at dinner) I still leave the tips as I see the wait staff in the buffet too. Also now with the anytime dining you may have to pay all those tips up front if you choose to use the anytime dining. RCL made us do this and it was fine with us - LOVE the anytime dining. This will be our first cruise with Carnival doing the anytime dining and will find out how it works then.

Give the automatic tips a chance before you knock them. We did and have had no reason to change our mind since 2004 when they started for us.

If your cabin stewart or waiter is awesome instead of taking the tips off we simply hand them a $20 or two on top of the automatic tips and they are very appreciative!!

Debbie

Archived