Anyone else anxiously waiting for a cabin number?

debsjc

In July 2009 I talked with a HAL rep in Seattle concerning cabin upgrades. We had just completed a 14 day Alaska Cruise on the Ryndam and had been upgraded from an interior cabin lower Promenade to an outside cabin two decks down. I told the HAL rep that in the past we had always received upgrades either on the same deck or upper deck.

The Hal rep explained to me that the initial cabin upgrades are done by computer and that the computer only sees upgrades based on cabin category and not according to location. That's all I know. As far as who has priority either based on price paid for cabin, when booked, number of cruises with HAL, etc; Who knows !

We're on the 10/18 Westerdam and we got a paid upgrade yesterday from SY to SA. It was a reasonable (very) offer and we couldn't refuse. We would have paid more. That was my thinking, too, jetwet, that they'd oversold the SZs and were upgrading them to SY & SS. I don't know that, but we talked about them overselling the SZ on the roll call. We really have a good agent thru HAL. We will definitely book thru them for now on.

They usually do overbook the SZ's as GTY bookings and put the overflow into the SY, SU, SS categories. We currently have a SZ GTY booking for mid Nov. I'm hoping they offer an affordable bump to the SA/SB/SC category. But I will be happy with any assignment because I booked what I'm willing to get which is the attitude to have when booking a GTY. I expect nothing, I dream about the PH! :D:D Happy Sailing!

Well, that makes the most sense, doesn't it? The cost between SS and SA is not insignificant. If HAL were to make a habit of that upgrade, why would anyone be willing to pay SA, SB, SC prices??? :confused:

Couldn't agree more, as you may of noticed from my earlier posts, I/we may be the only people on SZ gtys that actually want an SZ :D

Well seeing as there are only 2 SZ's overselling isn't hard to do, as you know from the roll call, we are happy with whatever we get, the reason for my post yesterday is that to me, if they are trying to clear out the SY's then they are almost ready to let the computer do it's wheel of fortune thingy.

We won't refuse anything, we booked a SZ GTY, it's in the hands on HAL, if we wanted a specific type we would of booked it.

We actually booked a cabin to start with, then were offered a SZ gty at a stupid price that we really couldn't turn down, so unless we get stuck with a cabin under say the pogo stick jumping room :D we have no complaints.

And no, no room yet.

I forgot to post here that I don't have to wait any longer. Received upgrade from MM to G on the Amsterdam. Cabin G2713 looks interesting....a bit bigger than most and facing the wake. HEY....it has a window and I am thrilled!

That's awesome....glad to hear it!

I had booked a guar inside (N) for the Sept 27th departure on Statendam. Just got my cabin assignment yesterday. It's a Large Outside (F).

I can hardly wait to board ship on Sunday! I need a vacation!

WhooHooo! Congrats on getting a window!

Have a great vacation -

I had booked a guar inside (N) for the Sept 27th departure on Statendam. Just got my cabin assignment yesterday. It's a Large Outside (F).

I can hardly wait to board ship on Sunday! I need a vacation!

Congrats on the upgrade! I hope I have the same luck on the Statendam:D. I've asked about an upsell but HAL is saying it's to early. Probably takes a while to get to the cheap seats.

We won't refuse anything, we booked a SZ GTY, it's in the hands on HAL, if we wanted a specific type we would of booked it. We actually booked a cabin to start with, then were offered a SZ gty at a stupid price that we really couldn't turn down, so unless we get stuck with a cabin under say the pogo stick jumping room :D we have no complaints. And no, no room yet.

Ha! The first, last and ONLY time we ever booked a GTY was on the Norway... ended up in a Penthouse Suite on Deck 10... directly under the GOLF SIMULATOR !

Mariner%203%20Star.gifCandy the ZuiderPrincess

I'm 72 hours from sailing on an unassigned VH guarantee on the Zuiderdam. Does anyone know if they make assignments over the weekend?

Try printing your luggage tags, that's how I found out what our cabin number was on our recent Zaandam cruise.

The night before our cruise after finishing packing realized I needed one more luggage tag, went to the web site and printed of one more and, there it was, a cabin number, printed on the luggage tag. Printed a set a couple of days earlier, no cabin number on those.

No calls or emails from anyone just the "Luggage Tag" notification.

Give it a try and let us know if it works for you.

Try printing your luggage tags, that's how I found out what our cabin number was on our recent Zaandam cruise.

Give it a try and let us know if it works for you.

I just tried it and it printed out a blank stateroom number so I wrote in Penthouse Suite 01. I hope that works.

I just tried it and it printed out a blank stateroom number so I wrote in Penthouse Suite 01. I hope that works.

That works -

Upgrade Fairy please hear Doublebzz plea,

Keeping fingers crossed for you & Dreams do come true.

If you do not find out until you board the ship, come back after and let us know.

Have a great trip!

tytan, Are you on the four day or the Full Circle Hawaii, either one you might want to check out our roll call over 60 on right now, planing a meet n greet in Crows nest after lifeboat drill in Vancouver, and also one on 2nd day out of San Diego. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=783473

We are only doing the four day much to my wifes displeasure, kids and school etc get in the way of longer trips.

Do we have to officially sign up for the meet and greet or can we just show up at the Crows Nest ?

We just got ours for the Westerdam 10/18 cruise, 6066 Sy from an SZ GTY, I am more than happy.

Congrats! We are sailing two weeks after you and are also in an SZ guarantee. Here's hoping I hear in the next couple of weeks. I'm not sure my anticipation can handle waiting until I get to the port!!!

12 days out and still no cabin number. I am hoping we don't have to wait until we get to the dock, but as long as we have a cabin somewhere on the ship I'll be happy. We booked the lowest level guarantee down in "steerage" so just about anything would be an upgrade! This is my first time not booking an outside or a verandah, but budget was a big issue. If we are lucky enough to be upgraded to the Penthouse trust me you all will be the first to know!!! :)

12 days out and still no cabin number. I am hoping we don't have to wait until we get to the dock, but as long as we have a cabin somewhere on the ship I'll be happy. We booked the lowest level guarantee down in "steerage" so just about anything would be an upgrade! This is my first time not booking an outside or a verandah, but budget was a big issue. If we are lucky enough to be upgraded to the Penthouse trust me you all will be the first to know!!! :)

If you are, you are required to invite your entire roll call in for those free hors d'oeuvres! :D

Mariner%203%20Star.gifCandy

Congratulations on your anniversary, next year is our 40th and we are also looking at the Caribbean and a renewal of vows.

We're on a 4 day repositioning cruise leaving on Sunday and found out last week we went from an N to an EE. We are very happy with the upgrade, and I hope you do as well (or better)

If you are, you are required to invite your entire roll call in for those free hors d'oeuvres! :D

But of course! And I will also be throwing a fabulous dinner party in there as well...with drinks and hot tubbing on the verandah afterwards. :D

Archived