Need Clarification...shorts in dining room or not

wesail4fun

Read on a blog earlier tonight that someone stated a cruise they just went on 2 weeks ago showed different attire in the dining room.

Stated men wore "nice" khaki long dress shorts with collared polo or hawaiian shirts. Then another blog said "NO" shorts not allowed on the Liberty. We are going on the liberty next month and hubby has never worn shorts but if things have changed I think he would rather on casual nights.

Anyone been on the Liberty in the last few months? Please advise!!!!!

Thank you

Yes, nice shorts are allowed on casual nights. This is from the Carnival website:

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

Just off liberty and all 6 men in our group wore dress shorts every evening in the dining except for elegant nights. I would say a large percentage of men were dressed in the same manner

Is there a dress code for the dining room?

Depending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. However, shirts and shoes/footwear (flip-flops) must be worn at all times inside the Lido restaurants.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs). Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too! Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

Read on a blog earlier tonight that someone stated a cruise they just went on 2 weeks ago showed different attire in the dining room.

Stated men wore "nice" khaki long dress shorts with collared polo or hawaiian shirts. Then another blog said "NO" shorts not allowed on the Liberty. We are going on the liberty next month and hubby has never worn shorts but if things have changed I think he would rather on casual nights.

Thank you

Just a bit more clarification. Carnival is the only line I have seen allowing shorts in the dining room for dinner. At Breakfast and lunch they are certainly acceptable. Most other lines say no shorts or jeans at dinner.

Just a bit more clarification. Carnival is the only line I have seen allowing shorts in the dining room for dinner. At Breakfast and lunch they are certainly acceptable. Most other lines say no shorts or jeans at dinner.

We were on the NCL Spirit in April out of New Orleans and even though the daily paper said no shorts in the diningroom after 5:00 pm, there were more people dressed in shorts then not. I did really like the dress up or not idea though, if you wanted to go formal you could and if you did not that was fine too. I have to admit after over twenty cruises on other lines NCL's freestyle concept was very relaixing.

I just got off the Freedom yesterday, and I wore nice dress shorts to dinner every night except for the formal nights. What really angers me, is they don't enforce formal dress on formal nights. We had people all around us wearing T-Shirts. Either stop the formal night, or enforce the rule.

Have fun!

I just got off the Freedom yesterday, and I wore nice dress shorts to dinner every night except for the formal nights. What really angers me, is they don't enforce formal dress on formal nights. We had people all around us wearing T-Shirts. Either stop the formal night, or enforce the rule.

Have fun!

Neither is going to happen unfortunately. They don't want to offend anyone so anything goes. If they stopped elegant nights they would lose a lot of revenue that is generated by people getting their pictures taken.

I used to be the same way before they changed formal night to eleganr night.

I felt so out of place in a tux while jeans and flip flops were being permitted.

They beat me down and i went to the dark side. I actually find it refreshing now.

Bill

Ok guys lets answer this question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

That's what I wore. They were new ones and not some nasty sneakers I use to do yard work. Oh well so I'm not classy.

Try going to http://www.carnival.com and reading the information about dress code on the ships. That way you will be able to see what Carnival says and not what others think and say.

post #2 and #4 already have the dress code posted. No need to go to Carnival.com

Bill

Thank you

You will never get a good answer to your question out here.

Most will answer based on how they would like you dress. The "judgement police" love this sort of thread.

Which means some will say shorts are OK.

And some will say no shorts.

Just go to the Carnival website, read the dress guidelines, and decide for yourself.

Spelling corrections are not allowed under Cruise Critic posting guidelines.

Please remove.

Thank you.

It's called a joke.

And please stay on topic. If you have an issue with the content of my post, feel free to report me to the moderation team.

Otherwise, I bid you good day.

Archived