Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

We are cruising on HAL departing 12/3/10, and would really appreciate some help choosing a hotel for the night before.

We have a Marriott free night credit that we can redeem at either the airport/port Springhill Suites or Fairfield Inn (it is only good for up to a category 4 property). There also may be a possibility that we can kick in some extra points and get the Airport Courtyard or Renaissance (both category 5). Can anyone help us with the pros and cons of these hotels and their locations?

Thanks very much in advance! :)

Kevin

Springhill and Renaissance (Ft. Laud) are in the best locations for restaurants and shopping. Ren doesn't have a free shuttle or breakfast...Springhill has breakfast and free shuttle from airport and to port. The restaurants by Ren are nicer.

Edited by royalcruz

Thanks for the quick reply!

Is there anywhere near Springhill to buy wine? Does the Springhill look to be in good condition? If we chose the Renaissance, do you have a ballpark idea what a taxi from the airport and to the port would be?

You can get some wine at Kmart, and at BJ's if you have a membership or if they will give you a day pass. I haven't been in Springhill but it looks good from the outside. Taxi to Renaissance is about $15, and to port about $10.

Springhill and Renaissance (Ft. Laud) are in the best locations for restaurants and shopping. Ren doesn't have a free shuttle or breakfast...Springhill has breakfast and free shuttle from airport and to port. The restaurants by Ren are nicer.

Is the Renaissance in walking distance to Total Wine?

BJ's is like a Costco.

The Renaissance is a few blocks (about 6?) walk to Total Wine, which is set way back in the shopping center behind Embassy Suites, Harbor Shops.

We are driving to Fort Lauderdale and will need to leave our car for over 30 days while on our cruise. Which hotel do you recommend - Holiday Inn/Hollywood on Sheridan or Fairfield Inn/Dania Beach on Griffin Road? Good area? Lighted parking area? Any info or help greatly appreciated.

We are driving to Fort Lauderdale and will need to leave our car for over 30 days while on our cruise. Which hotel do you recommend - Holiday Inn/Hollywood on Sheridan or Fairfield Inn/Dania Beach on Griffin Road? Good area? Lighted parking area? Any info or help greatly appreciated.

In my opinion, neither hotel is in a better area than the other...not the worst part of town but not the best either, and cars can be stolen or broken into from any area. You can actually call the police dept for each city and ask about crime at those addresses.

Hi royalcruz and thank you so much for taking the time to help everyone here. Our flight won't be arriving until 10:15pm. Since we are arriving so late we are just looking for a hotel that is nice and possibly with a free breakfast. We don't care about shuttles as we would rather just take a cab. We won't have a car and would like to stay somewhere close enough to walk to a store to pick up a couple bottles of wine in the morning before our cruise (Friday). Thank you so much for any help. Wanda

PS - we don't want to spend more than $175

Hi royalcruz and thank you so much for taking the time to help everyone here. Our flight won't be arriving until 10:15pm. Since we are arriving so late we are just looking for a hotel that is nice and possibly with a free breakfast. We don't care about shuttles as we would rather just take a cab. We won't have a car and would like to stay somewhere close enough to walk to a store to pick up a couple bottles of wine in the morning before our cruise (Friday). Thank you so much for any help. Wanda

PS - we don't want to spend more than $175

Hyatt Place north and Embassy Suites SE 17th St are very close to Total Wine and Publix and include breakfast. Check Valuetripsdotcom for good prices on HP. Sleep Inn Dania also has free breakfast and is right by a Publix.

Was wondering if you could give some suggestions on what to do on New years eve in Fll. We are a group of 13 family members with teenage kids Staying at the Hyatt North Pre cruise. . Hoping to find a nice restraunt we can make reservations at and maybe head out for some fireworks and entertainment later on.

thanks

Was wondering if you could give some suggestions on what to do on New years eve in Fll. We are a group of 13 family members with teenage kids Staying at the Hyatt North Pre cruise. . Hoping to find a nice restraunt we can make reservations at and maybe head out for some fireworks and entertainment later on.

thanks

Bimini Boatyard is within walking distance and is nice and takes reservations. They have a private room for 14. You might be best off just staying within walking distance even though there may not be any public parties.

Japanese Village Steakhouse is about 2 miles away and might be fun for the group (would need 2 tables). The city of Fort Lauderdale is planning to hold its annual NYE party downtown with a ball drop. This website has info http://ci.ftlaud.fl.us/events/index.htm

There might also be a party at Beach Place. I always go to private parties so I don't have any experience to share. Be patient in waiting for taxis that night.

Hi RoyalCruz,

We are staying at the Renaissance post cruise in Feb, and have an extra day before flying home. I am wondering how close the Water Taxi is to this hotel, and would like your opinion of the Jungle Queen supper cruise ( is it cheesey? ). We have spent some time in FL but travelling with some that haven't. So we're interested in giving them the best bang for thier buck, with only one day to tour around.

Thanks in advance. :)

We are flying in a day early late in April for a cruise and have booked a room at the Marriott BeachPlace Towers. Am wondering if this is located near any good restuarants and how far away from the water taxi it is. Your help would be appreciated.

The best restaurants IMO that are REALLY close are H20 and Casablanca Cafe. There is a water taxi stop about 2 blocks away at the Pillars Resort.

There is a CVS at BeachPlace for wine and last minute items.

Hi RoyalCruz,

We are staying at the Renaissance post cruise in Feb, and have an extra day before flying home. I am wondering how close the Water Taxi is to this hotel, and would like your opinion of the Jungle Queen supper cruise ( is it cheesey? ). We have spent some time in FL but travelling with some that haven't. So we're interested in giving them the best bang for thier buck, with only one day to tour around.

Thanks in advance. :)

There is a water taxi stop 2 blocks away at the Hilton Marina. The Jungle Queen is really cheesey but some people love it. You might also check out the Carrie B river cruise which I haven't done but I think it's not as cheesey. The water taxi driver can give you a "guided" tour if you show interest in learning more about the area.

We did the water taxi 2 years ago and it was alot of fun, just chilling for the day, and a good place for people who have never been to Fl to go. I kinda thought that the Jungle wouldn't be that great. Thank you for your info about the Carrie B cruise. I'll look into it.

Hi there and thank you for all of your valuable information! Love it!

I was wondering if you know anything about the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Ft. Lauderdale?? We have a connection and can get a good rate, but looking on the map, I'm just not sure of the area...We usually stay at the Hyatt Pier 66, and love the location....hmmm......what to do....

Hi there and thank you for all of your valuable information! Love it!

I was wondering if you know anything about the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Ft. Lauderdale?? We have a connection and can get a good rate, but looking on the map, I'm just not sure of the area...We usually stay at the Hyatt Pier 66, and love the location....hmmm......what to do....

The hotel looks gorgeous and is right between the airport and cruiseport, but there is not much else there. If you know the area at all, it is on SR84, just west of US 1. The hotel does have a restaurant, or you could walk to Anthony's Pizza or Ernie's BarBQue...it is not considered to be a dangerous neighborhood. You might run into some homeless people along US1, but they are harmless. Personally, I would stay elsewhere if you are getting in earlier in the day and want to spend a vacation/resort day, but there isn't anything wrong with the hotel so if you just need a really nice place to sleep it's a good choice.

hello my question is that our flight leaves @4:30 from fort lauderdale but we get off the ship from miami early that morning and we also coming back the sunday after thanksgivng. any suggestions on how to fill the time in between would be appreciated. we are thinking of eithe renting a car @miami for the day or going some where in ft. lauderdale until we go to the airport. really donot feel like staying @ airport for several hours with 13 and 10 yr old. thank you for any suggestions:o

Can you see the ships in port from this hotel?? We want a hotel where we can do this and it seems like they are all around $200/nt in February.

Thanks!!

Better yet, what hotel offers the best ship/port view. Thanks again

Edited by DTC

hello my question is that our flight leaves @4:30 from fort lauderdale but we get off the ship from miami early that morning and we also coming back the sunday after thanksgivng. any suggestions on how to fill the time in between would be appreciated. we are thinking of eithe renting a car @miami for the day or going some where in ft. lauderdale until we go to the airport. really donot feel like staying @ airport for several hours with 13 and 10 yr old. thank you for any suggestions:o

Hello, to get the best answer's you should post this as a seperate question. Just an FYI :).