Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Gallery One Doubletree vs Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina. Which hotel is the better choice? Or would you recommend something different? We are looking for a decent place to spensd a couple days after our cruise.

Based on location I would definitely go with Gallery One. Both hotels have the water taxi stops. Gallery One has a nice mall a block away and the beach 3 blocks away. There are some nice upscale chain restaurants at the mall. You might also look at the hotels across from the beach that have nice pool decks and are an easy walking distance to the main beachfront restaurants and bars: Atlantic, W, Westin, Ritz Carlton, Marriott Beachplace, Courtyard Marriott.

my cruise in feb. 2011 leaves from port of miami. I have credit on southwest so we will fly into ft. Lauderdale, spend the night there, and take a shuttle to miami around midday the day of the cruise.. Do you know of any shuttle companies that will pick up at a ft. Lauderdale hotel that is not at the airport and take us to the port of miami? Return would be from pom to fll airport.

sas

So we plan to pick a hotel with shuttle from FLL airport to hotel and then from hotel to PC to join the Eurodam on Nov. 20th. I haven't chosen yet.

On our return a week later we plan to spend the day in Fort Lauderdale and then leave the next morning from FLL.

My question is: is the Downtown area walkable so that if I "Priceline/Hotwire" a downtown hotel and we want to go to the Science museum, we will be able to walk there even if it is a mile or two? We don't want to hire a car if we can walk the district and entertain ourselves.

Thanks.

So we plan to pick a hotel with shuttle from FLL airport to hotel and then from hotel to PC to join the Eurodam on Nov. 20th. I haven't chosen yet.

On our return a week later we plan to spend the day in Fort Lauderdale and then leave the next morning from FLL.

My question is: is the Downtown area walkable so that if I "Priceline/Hotwire" a downtown hotel and we want to go to the Science museum, we will be able to walk there even if it is a mile or two? We don't want to hire a car if we can walk the district and entertain ourselves.

Thanks.

I don't know the answer to your question but I am a little confused. Is PC Port Canaveral? Are you sailing out of Port Everglades or Port Canaveral? returning to PE? Seems as though it is PE since you are asking about downtown FLL but after the trip.

Just trying to understand--good luck with your original question.

ML

Thanks.

If you're talking about FLL, Ft. Lauderdale and Port Everglades, you'll want The Riverside, it's a 3.5 * hotel on Las Olas. Use some of the suggestions so that you know that you're getting The Riverside. The musuem, and many little shops and cafes are all within walking distance.

Thanks.

The only P/H downtown hotel about a mile from the museum is Riverside. Hyatt Place north is 3 miles away. The others are 3-4 miles, but a very quick cab ride.

We stayed at the Hyatt North last December--it was a good pre-cruise choice. We walked to the beach area of Ft. Lauderdale, probably about three miles one-way. We like to walk, but combined with the walking we did at the beach and shopping areas and the three miles back, it got to be a a little much, especially since it was extremely hot--95 or more--and some kind of record for the dates.

I got very bad blisters even though I was using shoes I was used to and I am used to walking quite a bit. I think the combination of heat and probably at least 8 miles walked did the trick.

So, if you want to walk from there, be prepared for a hike. There was a shopping center/mall and eating places very nearby the hotel, though. I don't know how close the Science Museum is.

royalcruz: I was hoping you could help me out (I notice you are in FLL) We are staying at the Renaissance fro our upcoming cruise the night prior; can you tell me how far we are to the water taxi and if it would be worth doing for the day?

Also I understand the renaissance is across the street from the pier, is that correct? Do you know anything about this hotel - we are Marriott rewards members and can leave our car here for the week, which is why we decided to stay here....

Thanks

I don't know the answer to your question but I am a little confused. Is PC Port Canaveral? Are you sailing out of Port Everglades or Port Canaveral? returning to PE? Seems as though it is PE since you are asking about downtown FLL but after the trip.

Just trying to understand--good luck with your original question.

ML

My error, it IS Port Everglades and thanks for catching that.

If you're talking about FLL, Ft. Lauderdale and Port Everglades, you'll want The Riverside, it's a 3.5 * hotel on Las Olas. Use some of the suggestions so that you know that you're getting The Riverside. The musuem, and many little shops and cafes are all within walking distance.

Thank you, that is exactly what I needed to know.

royalcruz: I was hoping you could help me out (I notice you are in FLL) We are staying at the Renaissance fro our upcoming cruise the night prior; can you tell me how far we are to the water taxi and if it would be worth doing for the day?

Also I understand the renaissance is across the street from the pier, is that correct? Do you know anything about this hotel - we are Marriott rewards members and can leave our car here for the week, which is why we decided to stay here....

Thanks

The hotel is very close to the port entrance, across the street and west about a block. The water taxi is about 3 blocks east at the Hilton Marina, and is a good idea. I've been to events at this hotel and it is very nice, but simple. I enjoy eating at Bimini Boatyard next door.

Thanks

We stayed at the hotel in January and are back for 3 nights next January...it is a re-make of an older hotel but the rooms are extremely nice. WIFI is hit or miss, food in the Bistro is average but it is across the parking lot from an Italian restaurant the the seafood restaurant ...the Bimini. Only two elevators which can make getting down to the lobby a bit challenging in the mornings as everyone leaves to be first on the ship.

Easy level walk to the Water Taxi and a great way to get around. You can purchase an all day pass which will allow you to get on and off the boats as many times as you wish. They also have discount tickets for a number of restaurants...if they don't offer them, don't be afraid to ask.

The hotel is the closet to the pier but it is a good couple of blocks to walk to the ships...if you have more than one bag on rollers you may want to spend $10 on a cab.

Sorry I know nothing of the hotels parking.

Putterdude & royalcruz:

Thanks so much for the information - looks like we know where we will be going for dinner :)

can you tell me what there is to do on the water taxi, I am not much of a shopper, would it still be appealing to me?

Since we drive down we usually look for a place to leave our car for the duration of the trip or we rent a car one way......this hotel had a package to leave the car for the week :D

Putterdude & royalcruz:

can you tell me what there is to do on the water taxi, I am not much of a shopper, would it still be appealing to me?

I have no idea what interests you but you don't have to shop, there are a number of stops throughout FLL so you can get off, wander around, then get on the next boat.

Just to correct my previous post, there is the Bimini and an Italian restaurant that share a parking lot next to the Renaissance...somehow I didn't make that clear.

I have no idea what interests you but you don't have to shop, there are a number of stops throughout FLL so you can get off, wander around, then get on the next boat.

Just to correct my previous post, there is the Bimini and an Italian restaurant that share a parking lot next to the Renaissance...somehow I didn't make that clear.

Thanks - Just wanted to make sure it was not all shopping, walking around and stopping for a drink along the way is fine with me :)

I have heard great things about Bimini so I think we will try that, we'll save the Italian for the next trip

Thanks again

Try SAS for transportation.....it's www.ridesas.com We are going to use them in dec..... i have gotten a ton of positive feedback about them, they are very affordable (way more so than a taxi) and everyone has says they are reliable as well. We are flying into FLL as well but cruising out of Miami.... We got a hotel in FLL (with free shuttle from airport) then using SAS to get from FLL to the port then SAS will bring us back to FLL airport after cruise ($15 each person each way). Hope this helps.

Thanks - Just wanted to make sure it was not all shopping, walking around and stopping for a drink along the way is fine with me :)

I have heard great things about Bimini so I think we will try that, we'll save the Italian for the next trip

Thanks again

http://www.watertaxi.com/FLLMap.Asp.htm

Here is a map of the water taxi route and here is a suggestion:

Get on at stop 7 outbound. Get off at stop 5. Walk to A1A and turn left and stroll for a mile and find your way to stop 3 behind the Pillars Hotels. Take the water taxi inbound to stop 9. Walk to Las Olas Blvd. Turn right and stroll east to 15th Ave. Cross Las Olas and walk back the other side. Cross the street at Cheesecake Factory and walk to the river. Turn right and walk along the bricked riverfront west until you get to stop 11 or 13. Take the water taxi back to stop 7 near your hotel. This will give you a nice route to stroll, see the beach and the river, and stop for food and drinks.

http://www.watertaxi.com/FLLMap.Asp.htm

Here is a map of the water taxi route and here is a suggestion:

Get on at stop 7 outbound. Get off at stop 5. Walk to A1A and turn left and stroll for a mile and find your way to stop 3 behind the Pillars Hotels. Take the water taxi inbound to stop 9. Walk to Las Olas Blvd. Turn right and stroll east to 15th Ave. Cross Las Olas and walk back the other side. Cross the street at Cheesecake Factory and walk to the river. Turn right and walk along the bricked riverfront west until you get to stop 11 or 13. Take the water taxi back to stop 7 near your hotel. This will give you a nice route to stroll, see the beach and the river, and stop for food and drinks.

Thanks so much - I printed this out and will use as my personal tour guide :)

Royalcruz, i hope you can help me with some info about the surrounding area of the Harbor Place Marriott, I understand that there are no surrounding resturants. But is there ANYTHING near there, fast food,deli,pizza, ect, or even a convience store? Thanks for your help!

Royalcruz, i hope you can help me with some info about the surrounding area of the Harbor Place Marriott, I understand that there are no surrounding resturants. But is there ANYTHING near there, fast food,deli,pizza, ect, or even a convience store? Thanks for your help!

I guess that you mean Marriott Harbor Beach. It depends on how far you can comfortably walk. Bahia Cabana restaurant is a few blocks away, north on A1A. Keep going and you will run into All About Food cafe at Bahia Mar, then Oasis Cafe, then Bubba Gumps. There is a 7-11 on Seabreeze Blvd just south of Las Olas Blvd, about a mile away. 3030 in the hotel is a great upscale restaurant and you can purchase a discount certificate on restaurant.com (subscribe to restaurant.com to get discount codes in your email and use code "treat" through 10/31 for 80% off the published price).

I know this has probably been answered but thinking about looking through 1000+ posts is too much right now.

Can you give me the name of a hotel that is inexpensive in Ft. Lauderdale that will let you leave your car in their parking lot and book a room for the day the cruise ends? We will have our car in florida and don't want to pay the price at the dock.

What is the daily cost of using their parking lot? Are they safer than parking at a hotel?

Thanks

Edited by cruzinnluvinit

Hi there!

Lookin for inexpensive but NICE beach hotel in Ft Lauderdale for Dec 4th for 1 night, 3 adults. If we don;t stay on the beach, how close can we be but save a lot on toom cost? Currently booked at Marriott Beach Places Towers -- but want something less expensive - hopefully with shuttle to/from airport and also to cruise port.

I know this has probably been answered but thinking about looking through 1000+ posts is too much right now.

Can you give me the name of a hotel that is inexpensive in Ft. Lauderdale that will let you leave your car in their parking lot and book a room for the day the cruise ends? We will have our car in florida and don't want to pay the price at the dock.

What is the daily cost of using their parking lot? Are they safer than parking at a hotel?

Thanks

Parking at Port Everglades is $15/day maximum ($19/day for oversized vehicles, which the Port Everglades website defines as those that exceed the standard width and/or height of a parking space).

I'm also hoping for a hotel for our cruise next September that allows us to keep our car there, as we did that in Port Canaveral and it worked out nicely. What do you consider "inexpensive"? Right now the Hyatt Place Fort Lauderdale/Airport North has a Park and Cruise Package which includes complimentary self-parking for seven nights and transportation to Port Everglades. This package runs through December of this year, but I'm hoping they'll be offering it again next year as well. When I was looking at the rates for the same time this year, it was running about $149, but it may depend on the time of year.

I don't think there's too much difference, safety-wise, between parking at the port and parking at a hotel. But since we're driving 4 hours to get there, I want to go the day before, and I don't want to have to pay for a hotel AND parking.