Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Looking for a rental car near the port, but not on the airport proper so as to avoid the additional charges. Any suggestions?

Most of the major car rental agencies have outlets in the area...look at anything on SE 17th St, SR84 (SE 24th St), or S Federal Hwy in Fort Lauderdale: Budget, Sixt, Dollar, Avis, Enterprise, Hertz. You can find them by mapping the port on Google or Mapquest and then search nearby for car rentals.

Looking for a rental car near the port, but not on the airport proper so as to avoid the additional charges. Any suggestions?

Check Alamo... We are renting them one way from Orlando dropping off at the airport with no one way fee...price was reasonable. If you have a Costco membership they had some good deals through their travel website for Alamo.

Kari

SAS is the most popular low-fee shuttle company mentioned here, to Port Miami. They should be able to pick you up from the airport area hotels late morning of your cruise for $15pp if you book in advance by reserving through their website. If you book private car service or a taxi it will cost about 3 times this fee. Ft. Lauderdale hotels are usually less expensive than Miami hotels, so a lot of people do this.

Does SAS consider the La Quinta Hollywood an airport hotel at which they'll pick us up?

I just got back from cruising on the Carnival Ecstasy. Before going down to Port Canaveral I stayed in Miami but flew in to Ft. Lauderdale. I used Jiffy Jeff Transportation and had absolutely no trouble at all. There was good communication and the price was good. My friend flew in on a different flight and they had some sort of miscommunication about price and number of people. So, she ended up using a different service when she got there. But everything went according to plan with my travel. I'll be using him again.

I am looking for a hotel close to the Port and water taxi. We plan on going to Ft Lauderdale 2 nights before our cruise and spend the day before riding on the water taxis. We had so much fun one night riding them when want to spend more time on them. We'll be there on Black Friday (Nov 29) Cruising on Dec 1. Any ideas?

We're staying at the Westin on the same dates, booked it on Hotwire, it was 232 total for the two nights. The description is pet friendly, near beach, (I think the beach is across the street.) 4star.

We're staying at the Westin on the same dates, booked it on Hotwire, it was 232 total for the two nights. The description is pet friendly, near beach, (I think the beach is across the street.) 4star.

Yes, the beach is across the street from the Westin, and there is even a bridge so you don't have to cross the road. There is a full-service Starbucks on site too. $116 a night in season is an awesome price. Congratulations!

Edited by royalcruz

We are staying at the hyatt airport Yes we will have a car. It would be this thursday

There is a nail salon close to the port/airport called Harbor Nails but I haven't tried it.

Since you have a car...I go to Amy at Nail Mark (it's a Vietnamese Salon). She works Thursdays...954-563-0616 at Coral Ridge Mall, about 25 minutes north of the airport. I think it's $32 for a mani-pedi. Amy gives a strong massage and a tidy finish. Most of my neighborhood goes here. For a more upscale mani-pedi, 'N Sync is nice (ask for Shannon)...it's about $45 there.

I've seen a salon near the port/airport called Harbor Nails but I haven't tried it.

Edited by royalcruz

We are sailing into/out of Fort Lauderdale in October and will have time for some on-land retail therapy !

Is there any shuttle service to say WalMart available at the Port?

We have visited most ports in Hawaii and this kind of service was available and very popular.

I am cruising out of Ft. Lauderdale in Jan 2014. We are driving down and will need to park our car while on the cruise. Anybody know of any decent hotels in the general vicinity of the port that offers a park and cruise setup. We could park at the port for 120 or so but if we can get a decent price with this option at a hotel (given it's the peak season), it would be wonderful.

Our other option would be to stay away from the beach for a better hotel price and pay for parking at the port. Thoughts/input please?

Thanks.

We are also doing the same thing in January and I wondered did you have any success yet finding a hotel that allows parking during your cruise or are you just going to park at the port. Hotel park'n'cruise packages seem hard to come by in the FLL area. If you've found something, you could save me a lot of calling since the info on that chamber of commerce page doesn't match up with what shows up on the hotel sites for the ones I've checked online. Haven't tried calling anyone yet though.

We are also doing the same thing in January and I wondered did you have any success yet finding a hotel that allows parking during your cruise or are you just going to park at the port. Hotel park'n'cruise packages seem hard to come by in the FLL area. If you've found something, you could save me a lot of calling since the info on that chamber of commerce page doesn't match up with what shows up on the hotel sites for the ones I've checked online. Haven't tried calling anyone yet though.

I think that Hampton Inn north FLL still offers free cruise parking and shuttles (call and ask). Also check if Cambria is still doing this. Renaissance is one of the nicer hotels that offers a park & cruise package.

Edited by royalcruz

We are sailing into/out of Fort Lauderdale in October and will have time for some on-land retail therapy !

Is there any shuttle service to say WalMart available at the Port?

We have visited most ports in Hawaii and this kind of service was available and very popular.

This same question has been answered on the thread that you started today.http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1881868

Hi Sharon, I'm staying at the airport Hamptom inn and Suites on Stirling rd in Hollywood. Would have preferred the Hampton closer to the cruise port but its $60 more. Is there restaurants and stores within close walking distance from the airport HI like there is at the HI closer to the cruise port? Thanks!

Hi Sharon, I'm staying at the airport Hamptom inn and Suites on Stirling rd in Hollywood. Would have preferred the Hampton closer to the cruise port but its $60 more. Is there restaurants and stores within close walking distance from the airport HI like there is at the HI closer to the cruise port? Thanks!

Yes, you can walk to Oakwood Plaza, and you'll find much more there than near the Hampton closer to the port. http://fort.lauderdale.retailguide.com/data/m101620.htm

Was wondering.....we are going on Allure of the Seas with our two kids who will be 6 and 4.5 years old. We want to stay at a hotel where we can leave the car and they will shuttle us to the port.

What is the best/safest hotel?

Also.....my girls will still be in carseats so would the shuttle provide carseats so we dont have to bring ours? Or is that not even an option?

We dont plan on taking the carseats on the cruise with us but looking at other options than parking at the port.

If we have to park at the port is it safe? The port being port everglades

For all our other cruises we have always stayed at a hotel where we could leave the car.

Edited by jmpaull

Was wondering.....we are going on Allure of the Seas with our two kids who will be 6 and 4.5 years old. We want to stay at a hotel where we can leave the car and they will shuttle us to the port.

What is the best/safest hotel?

Also.....my girls will still be in carseats so would the shuttle provide carseats so we dont have to bring ours? Or is that not even an option?

We dont plan on taking the carseats on the cruise with us but looking at other options than parking at the port.

If we have to park at the port is it safe? The port being port everglades

For all our other cruises we have always stayed at a hotel where we could leave the car.

It is safe to park at the port and it is $15/day. This is a high security port. I'm not sure if taxis or shuttles have carseats. Check with these hotels to see if they are still doing cruise parking packages with shuttles (some services free, some fees): Hampton Inn north, Cambria Suites, Hilton Garden Inn, Fairfield Inn, Hyatt Place north or south, Sleep Inn Dania. None of these hotels are in bad areas.

Edited by royalcruz

Is there a liquor store or other store where we can buy wine for the cruise in this shopping center? I don't see one on the link you provided.

There is a Kmart in Oakwood Plaza for wine and BJ's sells liquor without a membership and wine with a membership.

Hi I tried reading through all the threads to see if this resort was mentioned I made it through 20 pages and gave up lol!!! I have booked my stay at the Alhambra in November pre/post cruise. It is located on Alhambra street...Have you heard any reviews for this particular property? I am also hoping there is a drug store, good restaurants and things to do close to the hotel? Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated..Thanks again!:)

Hi We are a group of 5 adults from the UK on a B2B Caribbean cruise, when we call into FL in the middle of the cruise what can we do till about 3pm before we set sail for the 2nd part of the cruise.

Thanks

Edited by simok99

Hi We are a group of 5 adults from the UK on a B2B Caribbean cruise, when we call into FL in the middle of the cruise what can we do till about 3pm before we set sail for the 2nd part of the cruise.

Thanks

I would take the water taxi: http://www.watertaxi.com/watertaxi/fort-lauderdale/. Check for more ideas at http://www.sunny.org - the Fort Lauderdale Tourism Board's website.