Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Royalcruz-

I've seen this asked by others but can't find the answer. We are staying at Westin Diplomat (thanks Priceline?) in February for our Allure cruise. We haven't yet decided whether to drive down or fly. What are the cheapest and best options from airport to hotel and from hotel to Port Everglades? Also, does the water taxi even go down that far? Thanks

Hello

does anyone know which hotel is better: Courtyard Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port or Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port Hotel?

How do these hotels compare?

thank you

Sofia

Sheraton has a more upscale feel. Courtyard is newer. They are both in the same general neighborhood.

Royalcruz-

I've seen this asked by others but can't find the answer. We are staying at Westin Diplomat (thanks Priceline?) in February for our Allure cruise. We haven't yet decided whether to drive down or fly. What are the cheapest and best options from airport to hotel and from hotel to Port Everglades? Also, does the water taxi even go down that far? Thanks

The Hollywood Water Taxi does have a stop on the intracoastal across from the hotel. It connects to the Fort Lauderdale Water Taxi at the Hilton Marina. Your taxi rides will be about $30 - $35. SAS shuttle might be a little cheaper.

We will be arriving early evening the day before our cruise and have booked the Fairfield Inn in Dania Beach. After we check in, we want to have a nice dinner but none of the nearby restaurants seem exciting to us. We are looking for locally owned (no chains please), fresh seafood and cocktails. There seem to be some fun places on 17th St but what is the best way to get there? Cab? What kind of price should we expect to pay for transportation? Can we trust the hotel to arraign this for us or should we do it on our own?

The seafood restaurant with the most fun atmosphere is the lower level of 15th St Fisheries. They have live entertainers and it is on the water. You can watch the fish and feed them if you would like to. Ask the hotel to call a taxi or to give you the phone number for yellow cab. It will cost about $20 each way including tip.

Royalcruz-

We stayed at the Westin Diplomat and really loved the hotel. We almost wished we had come in earlier to spend an extra day in the area. Beautiful beach view room. We flew in and took a cab to the hotel...between $35 and $40 as I remember (this was Jan 2011). There is a nightly fee for parking a car at the hotel, which is a pet peeve of mine anyway, so I'd vote for flying in and taxi to the hotel, then to the port. Nice trip...makes me wish I was going too!

Hello All ! I am new to the board and cruising as well.

I would like to know what the cost would be for a taxi from one of the hotels near the FLL airport to go to the Miami port?

2 people 4 bags.

Is there a better option than taxi? i do not want to rent a car.

Also is there a marriott ( courtyard etc.. ) near the FLL airport that offers free shuttle to the hotel?

Do any hotels offer packages to see and provide transport? ( to Mia port )

Thank you for your help !:)

Hi, we are planning a cruise in September. Our flight will leave FL for Los Angeles at 7pm. The cruise ship arrives at 7.00am. I am not sure what time we would expect to get off the ship but it will be quite a few hours before we need to get to the airport. Any suggestions what to do with our luggage? We have never been to the USA before so are not familiar with FL. We are happy just to walk around the town, shop, eat and maybe go to the beach for the day but the problem is our luggage. How far is it to the airport from the RCI cruise terminal? Is it worth it for us to hire a car for the day? How much is average car hire? Apologies for all the questions. Thank you for your help!:)

I have the same post cruise luggage question. Our plane departs at 2:30pm after our cruise. We'll have a couple of hours to kill. I read about bags-to-go service, they'll take our bags from the cruise to the airport for $6 per bag. Has anyone ever used this? Also, if we just walk around and explore or take the Trolley to explore, can we find things to do doing this? Are we in walking distance to boardwalks, shopping, and free sites from the cruise pier? Then when we're ready to leave for the airport, where would we catch a shuttle or taxi, at the pier?

19crusier59

We are staying at Springhill Suites in Dania, they have a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel. They also offer free shuttle to FLL cruise port Port Everglades, but not sure of MIA port.:confused:

~Steph

Hello All ! I am new to the board and cruising as well.

I would like to know what the cost would be for a taxi from one of the hotels near the FLL airport to go to the Miami port?

2 people 4 bags.

Is there a better option than taxi? i do not want to rent a car.

Also is there a marriott ( courtyard etc.. ) near the FLL airport that offers free shuttle to the hotel?

Do any hotels offer packages to see and provide transport? ( to Mia port )

Thank you for your help !:)

If SAS will take you it will be cheaper than a taxi.

Courtyard Airport/Cruiseport has a free airport shuttle.

Hi, we are planning a cruise in September. Our flight will leave FL for Los Angeles at 7pm. The cruise ship arrives at 7.00am. I am not sure what time we would expect to get off the ship but it will be quite a few hours before we need to get to the airport. Any suggestions what to do with our luggage? We have never been to the USA before so are not familiar with FL. We are happy just to walk around the town, shop, eat and maybe go to the beach for the day but the problem is our luggage. How far is it to the airport from the RCI cruise terminal? Is it worth it for us to hire a car for the day? How much is average car hire? Apologies for all the questions. Thank you for your help!:)

If you rent a car, you can leave the luggage in the trunk. Not sure what the prices are at the port. It would be worth it to me.

I have the same post cruise luggage question. Our plane departs at 2:30pm after our cruise. We'll have a couple of hours to kill. I read about bags-to-go service, they'll take our bags from the cruise to the airport for $6 per bag. Has anyone ever used this? Also, if we just walk around and explore or take the Trolley to explore, can we find things to do doing this? Are we in walking distance to boardwalks, shopping, and free sites from the cruise pier? Then when we're ready to leave for the airport, where would we catch a shuttle or taxi, at the pier?

I think it is $10 by cab to go from the pier to the closest trolley stop. It doesn't cost much more to go by cab to Fort Lauderdale beach...that is what I would do. Once there, you can easily get a taxi from any of the big beach area hotels to the airport.

We are on a Princess Transatlantic this December and will have one day in Ft. Lauderdale from 7:00 AM to 4:00 PM before we leave for Galveston where our cruise ends. Is there a car rental at the pier that we could get a rental car for the day or do you have any other suggestions for the short time we are there? Thanks! ;)

Ok, I need your advice...again. We are on Allure beginning May 20. We disembark on May 27. Our group is 12 in number. Do you think we can make an 11am flight at FLL?

You probably can--we've made a 10:30 with ease, but that is if everything goes smoothly with disembarkment. If there are any delays with arriving in port, clearing the ship by customs, etc., then it gets iffy.

The good thing is that the airport is so close to the port and normally an 11 o'clock flight will be no problem. But, there are no guarantees. If you can fly later, you will be safer.

You will want to be one of the first off the ship, maybe even do the carry off your own luggage thing, if possible.

We are flying into FLL very late on a Saturday night for a Sunday cruise...wondering this...can you buy alcohol on Sunday in FL?? I heard you have to wait until 12 noon on Sunday?? I am trying to decide if we should book a hotel within walking distance of a place I can buy some wine/cola on Sunday morning before we get on the shuttle or if I'm out of luck since even trying to stop that night before we go to the hotel would technically be Sunday. Thanks for any info!

Hi,

We're staying precruise at the Westin Beach Resort, FL. We got a great deal on it on PL. We'll be arriving early evening. Is there a place nearby to walk to for dinner? How about breakfast? I know the hotel has places to eat but we'd prefer something more casual. I did see in a previous post that there is a CVS nearby. Any directions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

We usually stay at the Embassey Suites but for the week in Dec they are asking $309. Would like to stay in the same area. Any suggestions. Love the location.

Try Holiday Inn Express, Renaissance, Hyatt Place north (on ValueTrips) or Extended Stay.

We are flying into FLL very late on a Saturday night for a Sunday cruise...wondering this...can you buy alcohol on Sunday in FL?? I heard you have to wait until 12 noon on Sunday?? I am trying to decide if we should book a hotel within walking distance of a place I can buy some wine/cola on Sunday morning before we get on the shuttle or if I'm out of luck since even trying to stop that night before we go to the hotel would technically be Sunday. Thanks for any info!

If you can find a store open late, you can buy wine late Saturday night into the early hours of the morning. But you can't buy wine in the mid-late morning until after noon.

Hi,

We're staying precruise at the Westin Beach Resort, FL. We got a great deal on it on PL. We'll be arriving early evening. Is there a place nearby to walk to for dinner? How about breakfast? I know the hotel has places to eat but we'd prefer something more casual. I did see in a previous post that there is a CVS nearby. Any directions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

For very casual dining, head to Beach Place, about 4 blocks south on A1A. Lulu's has good food. The CVS is there too. There are a few restaurants past there in that area but I only would recommend H2O.