Porter tips

I keep reading that it is best to flag down a porter once you get to the docks in order to avoid the long lines to drop of luggage. I plan on doing this and wanted to gauge what proper tipping would be for their help.

Thanks in advance.

Drina

I keep reading that it is best to flag down a porter once you get to the docks in order to avoid the long lines to drop of luggage. I plan on doing this and wanted to gauge what proper tipping would be for their help.

Thanks in advance.

Drina

You won't have to flag them down. They'll be standing there waiting for you as you pull up. Normally a buck or two per bag will do it.

Thanks in advance.

Drina

If it is a U.S. port and you are simply having them take your bags, then $0. Most (if not all) U.S. ports use unionized longshoremen to serve as porters at cruise terminals. According to Port of Miami customer service they are generally earning $40 to $60 per hour, but when serving as porters they are often getting time and a half (so $60 to $90 an hour). They are not the ones who deliver your luggage to the ship, but all they do is put your luggage onto a cart, roll it several yards and then other people take it from there. Not a bad gig for $40 to $90 an hour without tips. Most people do tip them, but it seems to be for one of the two following reasons: They mispercieve them as being similar to skycaps at the airport or bellman at hotels (i.e. people who perform a similar service, but who are paid a small salary that is expected to be supplemented by tips) or they pay them a tip (bribe in this case) out of fear the longshoremen will purposely lose their luggage otherwise.

We tip a couple of bucks a bag, typically we have 3.

Watch out, this is a hot button topic and you most likely will hear all sorts of assumptions on what porters make.Too Late..... Gonzo is already on his/her soapbox preaching the "word" ! :eek:

Good luck.

If it is a U.S. port and you are simply having them take your bags, then $0. Most (if not all) U.S. ports use unionized longshoremen to serve as porters at cruise terminals. According to Port of Miami customer service they are generally earning $40 to $60 per hour, but when serving as porters they are often getting time and a half (so $60 to $90 an hour). They are not the ones who deliver your luggage to the ship, but all they do is put your luggage onto a cart, roll it several yards and then other people take it from there. Not a bad gig for $40 to $90 an hour without tips. Most people do tip them, but it seems to be for one of the two following reasons: They mispercieve them as being similar to skycaps at the airport or bellman at hotels (i.e. people who perform a similar service, but who are paid a small salary that is expected to be supplemented by tips) or they pay them a tip (bribe in this case) out of fear the longshoremen will purposely lose their luggage otherwise.

So sayeth the all knowledgeable Gonzo (when getting an opportunity on this topic !) :rolleyes:

So sayeth the all knowledgeable Gonzo (when getting an opportunity on this topic !) :rolleyes:

I love the way I always get flamed for providing objective information on this topic. Some people seem so hell bent on tipping people who earn six figures for pushing their luggage a few yards. I didn't realize that informing people that the port says they are full salaried and do not need to be tipped means I am on a soapbox (not to even mention that Port of Miami has several signs posted that you do not need to tip - and in another Florida port tipping is even prohibited - but the lognshoremen still try to extort money by soliciting a "donation.")

If you do not believe the information I have posted, please call the port's customer service hotline and ask them for yourself. :rolleyes:

I think the silent majority agree with you but won't come out to post it for fear of flaming. In Florida there are banners that state tipping is unnecessary but people ignor that too.

If not in Florida I tip $1 per bag.

Actually, you missed my reason: I tip anyone who performs a personal service for me, regardless of what their salary is. Anyone who lugs my suitcase (and I pack to the 50 lb limit!!!), cleans my bathroom, makes my bed, cooks my food, serves my food, etc., gets a tip from me. I consider it my way of saying "thank you".

The porters may get a hefty salary, but I don't recall ever seeing any old porters at the dock. Like my retired mechanic husband always said: you don't see any old mechanics; the knees are gone. So, I figure I'll tip the porters while they are working there, because they are off to something else when their backs and knees start getting messed up with all the heavy lifting after a few years.

I notice that they don't even look at how much money you give them, so I guess it really doesn't matter how much you'll give, as long as you have something to give.

Isn't this the absolute truth! I learned the hard way, after tipping a porter extra and asking him to assist my husband getting the bags into the trunk of our car. Instead, he unceremoniously dumped all our cases onto the sidewalk and walked off, never having looked at how much I gave him. He didn't acknowledge what I asked of him as soon as he got the tip he was done with us. Perhaps I should have waited 30 seconds to hand over the tip :rolleyes:, he was so terribly rude we haven't used porters at disembarkation since.

We give $1 per bag, folded up, they don't look and they certainly don't take any better care of your bags if you give them $1 or $10. I'm not crazy to tip them at embarkation, but will not allow a $2 tip to be an issue.

Actually, you missed my reason: I tip anyone who performs a personal service for me, regardless of what their salary is.

No you don't. I doubt your tip your dental hygenist, the bagger at your grocery store, your mayor, your city bus driver etc. All these people perform a service to you.

Isn't this the absolute truth! I learned the hard way, after tipping a porter extra and asking him to assist my husband getting the bags into the trunk of our car. Instead, he unceremoniously dumped all our cases onto the sidewalk and walked off, never having looked at how much I gave him. He didn't acknowledge what I asked of him as soon as he got the tip he was done with us. Perhaps I should have waited 30 seconds to hand over the tip :rolleyes:, he was so terribly rude we haven't used porters at disembarkation since.

We give $1 per bag, folded up, they don't look and they certainly don't take any better care of your bags if you give them $1 or $10. I'm not crazy to tip them at embarkation, but will not allow a $2 tip to be an issue.

Yes, not a good porter for you! I always give the tip after the service is performed. I know they can be greedy and rude.

No you don't. I doubt your tip your dental hygenist, the bagger at your grocery store, your mayor, your city bus driver etc. All these people perform a service to you.

Yes....I.....do.....I tip anyone that performs a PERSONAL service for me, which means providing me with some amenity in my life that is unnecessary. Dental work is NOT an amenity in my book....:D, and I bag my own groceries.

Yes....I.....do.....I tip anyone that performs a PERSONAL service for me, which means providing me with some amenity in my life that is unnecessary. Dental work is NOT an amenity in my book....:D, and I bag my own groceries.

So if I held the door open for you you'd tip me? :D;)

I'm reluctant to tip ever since a porter (in Miami) took my cash and left my family's bags on the dockside - from the top deck we could see them sat there where the taxi dropped us until eventually someone took pity on them and scooped them up. Always make sure they get in the cages now.

Does anyone know what happens at Southampton? Tipping is less common in the UK and people more often deal with their own bags - do porters expect a tip?

(BTW - not trying to avoid tips - just establishing the rules!)

We were just on the AOS Aug 16th sailing and we had a suite so one of the Royal Caribbean people sent us to some desk, the lady told us to leave our bags and they would take care of them. We carried our bags about 20 feet from the taxi to the stand, never saw a porter. We got to the terminal about noon.

Serious question for you, by not tipping have you ever had anything said to you by a porter for not tipping? I am contemplating not tipping on my next cruise and I was wondering if you received any negative responses from them. The last time I tipped the porter, the guy really got me mad because I handed him $5 in singles folded over and he unfolded them and counted them in front of me and made a frown face! That really pissed me off and I found it rather rude. Then after that I called the Port and had a talk with them which enlightened me.

I was so interested in this topic and really wanted to get to the bottom of it so I called the Port of Miami myself to find out several weeks ago. Everything that Gonzo has stated is what Customer Service at the Port of Miami told me as well.

I personally don't care if people tip or not as it's personal choice and like the signs say at the Port "Tipping Optional Based on Service", so if people feel like they are receiving service, then tip by all means.:D

I notice that they don't even look at how much money you give them, so I guess it really doesn't matter how much you'll give, as long as you have something to give.

My last porter did to my surprise in Miami! Most people when you tip them they graciously place the money on their pocket and say "thank you" instead of counting it in front of you. That particular instance made me never want to tip them again!

Serious question for you, by not tipping have you ever had anything said to you by a porter for not tipping? I am contemplating not tipping on my next cruise and I was wondering if you received any negative responses from them.

My first three cruises I did tip because I was not aware they were longshoremen and thought they were equivalent of skycaps/bellhops. I did not tip on two of my last three cruises (both out of Port of Miami) and had no issues. One time nothing at all was said. The other time the porter made a comment (not just directed at me, but at a couple other people who's luggage he was handling simultaneously) "This is the last time you'll see me." Nothing furhter was said and my luggage all made it on board in good condition. I did tip on one of my last three cruises because we had had a change in staterooms and the porter was very helpful in rapidly filling out new luggage tags and was very chatty/friendly as well so we did tip him a few bucks. Since IMHO he provided more/better service than expected we rewarded that.

My first three cruises I did tip because I was not aware they were longshoremen and thought they were equivalent of skycaps/bellhops. I did not tip on two of my last three cruises (both out of Port of Miami) and had no issues. One time nothing at all was said. The other time the porter made a comment (not just directed at me, but at a couple other people who's luggage he was handling simultaneously) "This is the last time you'll see me." Nothing furhter was said and my luggage all made it on board in good condition. I did tip on one of my last three cruises because we had had a change in staterooms and the porter was very helpful in rapidly filling out new luggage tags and was very chatty/friendly as well so we did tip him a few bucks. Since IMHO he provided more/better service than expected we rewarded that.

Thanks, I just wasn't sure on what to expect. Of course, if a porter goes beyond just taking my luggage 10 feet to the cart, then I will tip.

Archived