clams on the half shell

Randi S.

I’ve had quahogs, little necks, cherrystones, oysters, mussels and even Spam :eek: on the half shell, but never clams (on the half shell) :D. I’ve had a fried clam roll, calm sauce on spaghetti, whole belly clams on a plate, clam cakes, steamed clams, calm chowder, and clam strips, but never clams on the half shell. Is this an AZ specialty? What have I been missing all my life :rolleyes:?

You should not have any problem finding those that I mentioned in any New England /Canada port of call you visit. Just start checking menus of the restaurants in all of your ports of call now; don’t leave it to chance.

Enjoy your cruise!

To me clams on the half shell are any clams served raw - they are served in 1/2 of the original shell. They usually come with "seafood sauce - (ketchup and horseradish) and lemon. I'm sure there are other sauces for them as well. They may be called Cherrystone Clams or Little Necks depending on size I think.

To me clams on the half shell are any clams served raw - they are served in 1/2 of the original shell. They usually come with "seafood sauce - (ketchup and horseradish) and lemon. I'm sure there are other sauces for them as well. They may be called Cherrystone Clams or Little Necks depending on size I think.

You are correct....both Cherrystone & Little Necks are clams. Split them open and eat them raw and you have clams on the half shell. Ketchup and horseradish sauce with a wedge of lemon are the usual sides. Some like to top them with hot sauce and some like them naked.

Archived