I can't find in depth info on Coco Cay...

Hi!

I can't believe with all the information on these boards I still am finding it difficult to find compiled, current, in depth info. on Coco Cay. I searched and found lots of info but none really addressing what I'm wondering. The ones that did address it were outdated and seemed to conflict with things I've heard recently about the island.

Specifically, I'm wondering exactly which water activities they actually rent out - not as an excursion, but actually rent and how much. I had heard that they only rent snorkel equipment. I also then heard that they rent the hobie cats and it was $45/hr. Someone about a year ago posted that you could rent kayaks for $15/30 minutes (which I had earlier been told you can't) and now I found out that they also have paddleboats. My question is, from any who know - what can be rented for 'on your own' use and how much is the fee?

Next, i was looking at a really neat map someone made of Coco Cay. On it, they have several bars in little huts. They didn't have all of those when I was there in 2001 so I'm curious about them. One of them is called a cafe - so my question is - is there other food on the island besides the barbeque? If not, why call it a cafe? lol:p.

Finally, I'm wondering if there are lockers that are pretty accessible and also if there is a straw market (if there is, do you pay with cash or seapass?)

Thanks for whomever can answer some, one or all of my many questions!:D

Here's a really detailed description of Coco Cay from the "Private Islands" discussion forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=885237

I didn't read it all the way through, but I'm sure it will answer some of you questions. I can't answer any of them personally, since all I've done at Coco Cay is sit in a lounge chair or in a hammock like a slug!

The only things I have ever rented were floating mats ($10) and vests for snorkeling ($6). Have you checked the excursions page to see if kayaks are listed there? There are lockers (smallish) by the hut that rents snorkel stuff. I recall buying tokens for the lockers. There is a straw market selling basically the same stuff you'll see everywhere else (hats, pareos, souvenirs, bags). You need cash for this.

No food other than the barbeque. The new huts I saw in June were either bars or places with tables so you could enjoy your lunch.

But as to the maps ... the island takes all of 20 minutes to walk around ... maybe just go a little crazy & take a stroll to see what is new? ;)

The only things I have ever rented were floating mats ($10) and vests for snorkeling ($6). Have you checked the excursions page to see if kayaks are listed there? There are lockers (smallish) by the hut that rents snorkel stuff. I recall buying tokens for the lockers. There is a straw market selling basically the same stuff you'll see everywhere else (hats, pareos, souvenirs, bags). You need cash for this.

No food other than the barbeque. The new huts I saw in June were either bars or places with tables so you could enjoy your lunch.

But as to the maps ... the island takes all of 20 minutes to walk around ... maybe just go a little crazy & take a stroll to see what is new? ;)

Hi! Thanks for the info! I don't want to do an excursion (they do have a kayak one) because they are all guided tours. I'm interested in doing things on our own. I found out from some folks that they rent kayaks to use on your own - guess I'll just wander to that hut and see if there is any kayaks to rent there.

I'm just suprised that RCCL doesn't have a nice, in depth page detailing what there is to do and rent on the island - very annoying!

Hi! Thanks for the info! I don't want to do an excursion (they do have a kayak one) because they are all guided tours. I'm interested in doing things on our own. I found out from some folks that they rent kayaks to use on your own - guess I'll just wander to that hut and see if there is any kayaks to rent there.

I'm just suprised that RCCL doesn't have a nice, in depth page detailing what there is to do and rent on the island - very annoying!

My guess would be that what is listed at their website is all that they offer.

My guess would be that what is listed at their website is all that they offer.

That's what I thought originally, too, but they don't have anything listed besides the waverunner excursion and parasailing. On the RCCL website they only list excursions available. However, I have come to find out that they offer hobie cats, kayaks and paddleboats for rent which isn't listed on any website anywhere. See, it pays to do research! lol:p If I had gone just by the website and not from our great CC'ers I could've missed this info!:)

Was there a few times this year, last trip was in July. Have never seen paddleboats, you can rent a kayak, hobie cat, float mat, snorkal gear. Guided tours are parasailing and the jet skis/skee-do. We don't like the fact that the jet ski trip is a guided tour, it's much more fun to do your own thing rather than follow the leader!!

Cash only at the straw market as previously mentioned.

Def. more bars than in 2001 but they're all pretty much the same, only food as of now is the b-que lunch which is really good: ribs, chicken, burger, dogs, salads, corn on the cob, deserts, ice tea, lemonade, water with or without ice.

There are some cabanas that face out to where the ship is tendered, don't know if they charge for that. Have seen massages being offered in the same area but haven't had one. It really is a beautiful place, try to snag yourself a place away from the crowds if poss.

Lynda

They do have paddleboats and kayaks. I believe they have hobie cats, but I can't remember....Surprisingly there's a lot to do on the island. It's the best part of the cruise. There are lots of hammocks scattered about too...

Watch out for the seagulls though they will steal your food. :)

None of the 'excursions' (except for the floats, which aren't really excursions, but are listed that way!) can be done "on your own"--they are all "follow the leader" style things. If you want to do one of those things, it's best done at a different port!

None of the 'excursions' (except for the floats, which aren't really excursions, but are listed that way!) can be done "on your own"--they are all "follow the leader" style things. If you want to do one of those things, it's best done at a different port!

That's the thing, you CAN do the kayaks on your own. I have found from others on CC that it is $15/30 minutes. Plus, there are paddle boats and hobie cats for rent, too! I had originally thought what you had posted was correct, as well. But I'm happy to know I was wrong!:D

And I can't believe they list a float as an excursion! crazy!:rolleyes:

That's the thing, you CAN do the kayaks on your own. I have found from others on CC that it is $15/30 minutes. Plus, there are paddle boats and hobie cats for rent, too! I had originally thought what you had posted was correct, as well. But I'm happy to know I was wrong!:D

And I can't believe they list a float as an excursion! crazy!:rolleyes:

This place is a lot like Wikipedia, not everything you read is both current and accurate.

This place is a lot like Wikipedia, not everything you read is both current and accurate.

True - which is the point of this thread - I'm hoping someone will come back and give me info on what was available. Actually.....there is a really nice poster that is staying in the same stateroom I will be in that has offered to take photos of it - I'm going to ask them if they can find out about CocoCay for me and I'll post it here!

Hi!

I can't believe with all the information on these boards I still am finding it difficult to find compiled, current, in depth info. on Coco Cay. I searched and found lots of info but none really addressing what I'm wondering. The ones that did address it were outdated and seemed to conflict with things I've heard recently about the island.

Specifically, I'm wondering exactly which water activities they actually rent out - not as an excursion, but actually rent and how much. I had heard that they only rent snorkel equipment. I also then heard that they rent the hobie cats and it was $45/hr. Someone about a year ago posted that you could rent kayaks for $15/30 minutes (which I had earlier been told you can't) and now I found out that they also have paddleboats. My question is, from any who know - what can be rented for 'on your own' use and how much is the fee?

Next, i was looking at a really neat map someone made of Coco Cay. On it, they have several bars in little huts. They didn't have all of those when I was there in 2001 so I'm curious about them. One of them is called a cafe - so my question is - is there other food on the island besides the barbeque? If not, why call it a cafe? lol:p.

Finally, I'm wondering if there are lockers that are pretty accessible and also if there is a straw market (if there is, do you pay with cash or seapass?)

Thanks for whomever can answer some, one or all of my many questions!:D

By the way, the reason that CocoCay has changed substantially since you were there in 2001 is that it was "leveled" by a hurricane. I *think* that is was Frances in 2004, but I'm not certain of the details.

Royal Caribbean COMPLETELY rebuilt the facilities after this hurricane.

By the way, the reason that CocoCay has changed substantially since you were there in 2001 is that it was "leveled" by a hurricane. I *think* that is was Frances in 2004, but I'm not certain of the details.

Royal Caribbean COMPLETELY rebuilt the facilities after this hurricane.

Oh wow - thanks! I had no idea! They seem to have really made it nice now. I can't wait to see it:D

You can't rent waverunners. You can only use them on the excursion. I was there in May. We went on the tour and it was awesome. It IS a follow the leader type excursion, but it was nice. You can't rent waverunners on your own.

Archived