Anyone Concerned about getting Fuel Surcharges added to bookings?

Price of Oil has been going up pretty fast...if I am booking a late 2009 or 2010 cruise should i just go ahead and add in the $10 per day per person to my price of my cruise since it will probably get added later? I booked one year and they added the fuel charge after I had already paid in full....

:( Celebrity and other cruise lines are now putting a "clause" at the bottom

of your booking page stating that "they do have the option of adding the

fuel surcharge if the price of crude oil exceeds $ 70 a barrel). This charge

would be $ 10 per person per day (not to exceed $ 140 per person no matter how long the cruise is for).

So, folks, we are looking at an additional $ 70 per person (or for most of

us $ 140) to be added on to our final payment due or on our onboard accounts (if you have already paid in full). So far, I have not read that

this has happened. There are dates in Sept. and Dec. the cruise lines

use to make this determination.

I, for one, sure hope it doesn't happen ---- but RCCL has the new Oasis

of the Sea's gas tanks to fill --- so it's anybody's guess.:rolleyes:

wait. they can ADD an additional charge? that's not included in the price of the cruise?

grumble grumble.

will they just add it to the s&s card?

They sure can.

It's in the contract that you agreed to. Basically the contract states that if crude oil gets above $70 a barrel (which it has been for a month now) the cruiseline can impose a fuel surcharge without notice.

As stated, none of the cruiselines have exercised that option yet, but if their feul costs go up, plan on paying it or not cruising.

They sure can.

It's in the contract that you agreed to. Basically the contract states that if crude oil gets above $70 a barrel (which it has been for a month now) the cruiseline can impose a fuel surcharge without notice.

As stated, none of the cruiselines have exercised that option yet, but if their feul costs go up, plan on paying it or not cruising.

good to know. Since I didn't sign up for the cruise or book anything, I didn't read anything (basically, I was sent an email saying here's the cruise I booked). so it's good to know i'll have to budget an extra $140, just in case.

Was there a fuel surcharge that was removed when oil dropped from $140 (ish) down to it's lowest??

Yes. About a year ago when oil went thru the roof. Airlines started adding baggage fee's. Cruiseline added fuel surcharges. Started at $5 per person per day and ended at $9 per person per day. Then when oil went under $70 a barrel, the cruiselines dropped the surcharge.

Most times, bookings already in the system will be "grandfathered"---you shouldn't have to pay a surcharge, unless they tell you that you may have to. It's not THAT much, even if you do have to pay one!

Many of the cruise lines have changed their terms and conditions clause concerning this - after the last fiasco.

Here's Carnival's "new" info.....

7. CARNIVAL’S RIGHT TO INCREASE FARES, CANCEL OR CHANGE VOYAGE, CHANGE STATEROOM ASSIGNMENTS

(a) Carnival reserves the right to increase published fares and air fare supplements without prior notice. However, fully paid or deposited guests will be protected, except for fuel supplements, government taxes, other surcharges and changes to deposit, payment and cancellation terms/conditions which are subject to change without notice.

We are sailing Celebrity Infinity next week, and I too noticed the 70/barrel right to impose fee thingy. I hope it doesn't happen. I saw that RCCL/Celebrity will review this policy quarterly, but that stipulation on my sea pass registration is a bit daunting. It's in red ink, no less!

Archived