H.A. versus RCCL

geoff99

Will I be disappointed after sailing with RCCL ,as we are thinking of going with Holland America?.. many thanks in advance.

I would say that you would bwe disappointed in RCCL when you have sailed HAL, from my research HAL seems to have a much better reputation than RCCL,But it depends what you are looking for Hal looks quieter/more sophisticated, RCCL looks more geared for entertainments/children etc

Will I be disappointed after sailing with RCCL ,as we are thinking of going with Holland America?.. many thanks in advance.

The way I look at it you have been sailing RCCL and want to try Holland America?

You may get a better answer if you give members some background. Age, married, children etc?

Hi!

I've basically the same question but the background is different!:D

We're in our early thirties and have a 7-year old daughter.

We've been cruising with RCCL the last three years and we'd always enjoyed our cruises...but were very disappointed with our cruise on the Navigator last week.

The biggest problems were due to very large groups of rude people on this ship.

But we found the service to be poor.

They really have made drastic cut backs because of the economic situation and you could feel it everywhere. (even the quality of the toilet paper has suffered!)

The food was at canteen level.

We founded the activities had been reduced too and we were a litlle bit bored in the early evening (between dinner and show, almost nothing to do)

That's all the reasons why we're currently considering booking HAL for our next summer vacation. Our TA advised us this cruiseline but also told us we would not find as many activities as on RCCL.

We would cruise on the Noordam from Barcelona in August. So we should meet other young families!

My most concerns are the possible lack of activities/kids club vs. RCCL/

Does anybody happen to know if:

-fitness classes are offered every day and if they're free of charge? (I like aerobics, step, stretching,...)

-water, tee and coffee are free and available 24/7?

-the staterooms are non smoking? are there non smoking areas on the pool deck?

-there are some daily activities like Trivia, dance classes,... in the evening?

-there is a buffet restaurant open for dinner? I read the lido restaurant has waiter service for dinner? Is there any place to dine casually?

-Kids club/Club Hal: how are the opening hours? Is it open every day?

What about the opening hours at port days? Can you let your kids there to go on a tour?

My TA told me I would have a surcharge to pay to do that?

Has anybody some experience with it?

Many many thanks in advance for every kind of feedback:)

We've been so disappointed last week that we're now studying every details!

Toonye

We have cruised many times with RCCL. Only twice with HAL. IMHO, HAL is a more sophistocated cruiseline. The food was a little better. Again, it all depends on what you are looking for. To get away and chill out, I would think you will have a great time on any HAL ship. We really like HAL.

RCI is trying to be all things to all people.

They allow just about any kind of dress in the MDR..chair hogs abound..their staff is usually courteous however the food has suffered terribly. There can be tons of kids onboard and if the staff is in the mood to look the other way there can be issues. Kids running the halls...using hot tubs...etc.

HAL is more sedate. RCI has alot of partiers on board and they party hearty.

If you want a more reserved cruise take HAL. I don't have small kids so am not sure what HAL offers to young children.

I take RCI when we bring families with small kids with us.

We choose HAL to get away from screeching kids and adults.:)

Hi!

I've basically the same question but the background is different!:D

We're in our early thirties and have a 7-year old daughter.

We've been cruising with RCCL the last three years and we'd always enjoyed our cruises...but were very disappointed with our cruise on the Navigator last week.

The biggest problems were due to very large groups of rude people on this ship.

But we found the service to be poor.

They really have made drastic cut backs because of the economic situation and you could feel it everywhere. (even the quality of the toilet paper has suffered!)

The food was at canteen level.

We founded the activities had been reduced too and we were a litlle bit bored in the early evening (between dinner and show, almost nothing to do)

That's all the reasons why we're currently considering booking HAL for our next summer vacation. Our TA advised us this cruiseline but also told us we would not find as many activities as on RCCL.

We would cruise on the Noordam from Barcelona in August. So we should meet other young families!

My most concerns are the possible lack of activities/kids club vs. RCCL/

Does anybody happen to know if:

-fitness classes are offered every day and if they're free of charge? (I like aerobics, step, stretching,...)

-water, tee and coffee are free and available 24/7?

-the staterooms are non smoking? are there non smoking areas on the pool deck?

-there are some daily activities like Trivia, dance classes,... in the evening?

-there is a buffet restaurant open for dinner? I read the lido restaurant has waiter service for dinner? Is there any place to dine casually?

-Kids club/Club Hal: how are the opening hours? Is it open every day?

What about the opening hours at port days? Can you let your kids there to go on a tour?

My TA told me I would have a surcharge to pay to do that?

Has anybody some experience with it?

Many many thanks in advance for every kind of feedback:)

We've been so disappointed last week that we're now studying every details!

Toonye

We found younger folks in the Med two years in a row. Different demographic than what you might see posted here and regarding other areas. We were on the Noordam in 2008 from Rome. You will find real flowers and real hand cloths in the public bathrooms - no paper towels!

We also used the gym every morning. You will find cold scented cloths in a fridg to use when you are done in the gym. Oh and the ice cream is included - no extra pay here. You do not have to pay extra for coffee tea or water unless you want premium coffee...

The lido is casual. You can dine in shorts and have waiters too. The waiters just bring over any made to order main dishes.

My wife and I have sailed on RCCL 8 times and 7 times on HAL. We are taking our adult children on the Eurodam on its 11/28 cruise. The last time we took them on HAL was in 1993 with my mother. That was on the old Westerdam. My children love the big ships. They like all the activity. RCCL has a younger crowd. I personally like the smaller HAL ships. I will be curious if I lke the Eurodam given that it has 2,044 passengers. My son is currently on the Adventurer of the Seas out of San Juan. We have sailed that ship before. I find RCCL does not maintain its ships as well as HAL. The ships are not built to the same quality standards. Final comment, I have fun on both lines. They are different.

Bob:)

Thank you everybody for your feedback!

We'd really enjoyed RCCL so far but we've been so disappointed last week on the NotS that we're not ready to take another cruise in the mediterranean with them.

Plus, they've increased their prices that much that they would be more expensive than HAL for us now and would not reward us as past passengers. (the coupon guide is a joke)

I'm almost convinced about HAL ;)

My only concern was the kid's club because the ship can be the best of the world, if our daughter gets bored, our vacation'll be ruined!

But I've called HAL and they reassured me that there will be a kids programme running every day, even at ports.

So, that could do!

I'll let you know;)

Toonye

Remember this take each cruise line for what it is. Do not compare them; each has some good things to offer and some areas for improvement. Unless you can afford the ultra, luxury lines be happy with which every ship you are aboard. Do not let the negatives set your mood. Enjoy what is offered and find the things HAL does well that you prefer and take advantages of those services.

If you seek the things that fall short or upset you, you will always find them in abundance

I don't think you'll be disappointed - heck, maybe you'll even be pleasantly surprised! Agree w/previous poster - it is what you make of it. Love the casual elegance of the HAL ships, LOVE the beds - OMG, the best anywhere! The smaller ships just appeal to us, we aren't into the rock climbing walls, bowling alleys, and all that other "stuff" that RC provides. The last thing I want to do is spend a week or so on a ship with 4,000 of my closest (not!) friends! HAL ships just never seem crowded. And the crew?? Oh, the HAL crew, well, they are just awesome, can't do enough for you, always smiling and calling you by name. I find that very comforting and reminds me of "home." We've got 9 more months til our next HAL cruise and it can't come soon enough!

While RC might offer certain things that appeal to certain people, it just doesn't appeal to us. IMHO, bigger isn't always better when it comes to cruising - especially the desitnation we love to cruise to - Alaska. There, its all about the stunning scenery, the port excursions, the wildlife, and the general beauty that is Alaska. As others have said, to each his own, firm believer here. But maybe you should give HAL a try, as I would certainly give RC a try if I found a destination and itinerary that appealed to me with the right price. You just never know...

So with all that said - pick one! Go, have fun, enjoy yourselves and may it be your best sailing yet...until the next one! LOL! Happy sailing!:D

Archived