Suggestions for Buenos Aires tour guide?

chees

We are cruising next January and have tours set up for everywhere except Buenos Aires. Do you have any suggestions/used someone that you would recommend as a tour guide? We are in port 6am - 9pm.

Thanks!

Tina

We are cruising next January and have tours set up for everywhere except Buenos Aires. Do you have any suggestions/used someone that you would recommend as a tour guide?

BsAs is a great walking city & I can heartily recommend a walking tour with BuenosTours. The company is owned & operated by Alan Patrick, a young British ex-pat who has lived in BsAs for several years. He offers well-planned tours (full-day or ½-day) as well as side trips into the delta, estancias or surrounding countryside. He’s well versed in the history & culture of Argentina & shares his knowledge enthusiastically.

In March/09 we did his full-day walking tour (with a bit of local transit including the historic Line A subway) and saw these principal highlights: City Centre; Plaza de Mayo; Casa Rosada; San Telmo; Monserrat; Plaza San Martin; Avenida 9 de Julio; Retiro; and Recoleta Cemetery. Along the way, we stopped for hot chocolate & churros at Café Tortoni, empanadas & beer at El Sanjuanino and ice cream at Volta. We had an outstanding (albeit exhausting) day with Alan Patrick & can highly recommend him.

http://www.buenostours.com/buenos-aires-tours

If you don't want to tie up the whole day, try Buenos Aires Free Tour. It is a walking tour leaving from near the Congreso building that walks you down to the Plaza de Mayo and back. The tour is free and no reservations are needed; tips are how the guides make their money. The tour was just long enough for our attention span (And my blistered foot).

http://www.*****.com/en/index.html

If you don't want to tie up the whole day, try Buenos Aires Free Tour. It is a walking tour leaving from near the Congreso building that walks you down to the Plaza de Mayo and back. The tour is free and no reservations are needed; tips are how the guides make their money. The tour was just long enough for our attention span (And my blistered foot).

http://www.*****.com/en/index.html

I'll be travelling by myself to visit my daughter who is studying in Bs As....and I'll have time while she is in class, etc. Do you feel this is a safe bet for someone by herself? Also, what do you tip?

Yes, I think it is quite safe. I did not feel uncomfortable or worried in any of the places we walked in Buenos Aires.

As for the tip, I don't remember exactly how much we gave the guide (because I book and he pays) but in deciding I know that we took into account that the tour itself was free and how much we would have paid for a similar tour.

We are cruising next January and have tours set up for everywhere except Buenos Aires. Do you have any suggestions/used someone that you would recommend as a tour guide? We are in port 6am - 9pm.

Thanks!

Tina

Tina, it sounds like we may be on the same ship: Veendam? If so, we are thinking of booking with Buenos Tours (Alan Patrick) and perhaps we could do a group walking tour? If interested, by all means let me know!

Judy

Chees, for another private tour guide please email me for info.

lancelady@sbcglobal.net We will also be in BA from 1/25 - 1/30.

I was in BA in 1/2005 and felt very safe there but again no matter

where you travel even in your own city you still need to be careful.

You will enjoy BA. For those who like to shop and want sweaters

shop on Florida St. it's a pedestrian walk.

Thanks!

Tina

touring around Buenos aires is easy. One of my favorite areas is palermo,specially worth mentioning is the hippodrome-horse racetrack- You can go there to have a nice cafe while enjoying the open view of its huge field.

Pedro

Thanks!

Tina

On our 2 days precruise stay in Buenos Aires in March 2009, I used Pedro Werberg, for both days, he is very accommodating and his fee are very reasonable. I have his e-mail.

You will enjoy BA. For those who like to shop and want sweaters

shop on Florida St. it's a pedestrian walk.

Florida St. is not as chic today as it was in days bygone. It has become a bit tawdry and is now an area where pickpockets and other undesirables concentrate. Aside from the shopping center, Galleria Pacifica, the stores are not particularly fashionable. Not a good tourist destination.

We get off our ship in the morning and have the whole day . Our flight doesn't leave 'til 9PM. We will all have luggage {4 of us}. Does anyone have any ideas on how we can spend the day?

The first thing you should be aware of is that the taxi scene at the Bs As pier is, to put it mildly, unpleasant. The cabs that regularly service the port are part of what some call the taxi mafia. The drivers that are regularly working there, some of whom are terribly obnoxious, do not allow, by threat of physical force, private cabs from the adjacent street to pull up to service the unaware exiting passengers who are then left with no option but to pay the inflated preset prices of the pier's "fleet." I urge you to simply call a radio cab which can arrive in less than 5 minutes. Hopefully, listing these numbers is not a violation of the CC guidelines that prohibit Tripadvisor local experts from recommending specific businesses.

Radio Taxi del Plata 4504-7776, 4505-1111

Radio Taxi Pidalo 4932-2222, 4956-1200

Radio Taxi Premium 5238-0000, 4374-6666

If you have a lot of luggage you should ask for a taxi " familiar" or a "camionetta" which is an SUV type cab which will be more than adequate for two with lots of bags. Four may need 2 cabs. Don't worry about the language - just ask for a "taxi familiar at the cruise ship puerto." or ask a nearby local to make your request. Believe me, you will be doing the cruising public a favor by not employing the pier drivers. It is never a good idea to pay a taxi with a large denomination bill because counterfeit change is all too common. Try to have exact change or at least small bills. Beware the driver switching bills on you by claiming the one you gave him was a counterfeit and then handing "it" back to you. Don't obsess, but do be mindful of this.

I suggest you seek to leave the luggage at a hotel with which the ship has established a pre or post cruise package, or at a hotel with which you have a regular customer award relationship. They may allow you to store your bags as a courtesy. If that doesn't work you can explore whether any transportation company that provides airport service has storage facilities available to you. At least one does.

Once the bags are stored then you can choose from among many different options:

1. the new hop on, hop off city operated tour bus which costs about USD 10;

2. a private tour with one of the several free tour providers which you should arrange in advance. Check/search the Buenos Aires forum at Tripadvisor.com for the identities of these free tour organizations - some are excellent using university trained historians as volunteer guides;

3. a 3 hour bus tour of the principle neighborhoods offered by a couple of local tour bus companies, approx USD15;

4. a paid guide;

5. a self-guided walk around the principle neighborhoods perhaps with the benefit of a guide book or even just a map. You can obtain a free map - the Golden Map - at any upscale hotel concierge desk. This is an excellent map with major hotels, museums, churches, subway lines, etc all clearly marked. Bs As is a wonderful walking city, very safe for a large city. The most dangerous things are the broken sidewalks and drivers who will try to hit you when you cross the street. Always look 4 ways when crossing even at a corner, left, right, behind you for cars making turns, and above for cars falling from the sky. The best neighborhoods within which to walk are the Recoleta (known for the cemetery and upscale shopping), Palermo Soho for trendy bars and shops, San Telmo for antiques and good, inexpensive restaurants (though these exist just about everywhere). I would not recommend walking in Puerto Madera because while it is safe, IMHO it is pretty sterile. Go there for lunch at a restaurant like Sotto Voce, Parolaccia or Happening if you really feel compelled to check out this newly revitalized docks area. Florida and Lavalle pedestrian streets are kind of tawdry and other than the shopping center, Galleria Pacifico on Florida, are not nice tourist destinations. Pickpockets and undesirables prey on those that do stroll there.

6. If it is Sunday hop in a cab (USD 15) and go to the Mataderos fair. Make sure it is open as it closes during the summer months. See http://www.feriademataderos.com.ar/agenda2009.htm. Alternatively, the fair along Av Defensa in the heart of San Telmo is also a good option. Lastly there is a crafts fair on Sat and Sun at the plaza in the Recoleta. For the truly serious flea market fans, hop in a cab (USD 8) to the Mercado de Pulgas ("flea market") located in Palermo Hollywood.

Have fun. Eat a good steak lunch. See http://www.guiaoleo.com.ar. A taxi to the airport will cost about 80 pesos or less than USD 25. Be prepared to show the duty free desk at the airport your local big ticket purchases before checking them in. Plan on a little extra time to switch lines to pay the $18 airport departure tax.

Tina, it sounds like we may be on the same ship: Veendam? If so, we are thinking of booking with Buenos Tours (Alan Patrick) and perhaps we could do a group walking tour? If interested, by all means let me know!

Judy

Hi Judy:

We already booked a 7-hour walking tour through them. Unfortunately we cannot add on as 7 is our limit and we are a party of 6. They came highly recommended and what is nice is that our tour guide will meet us at the ship and help us with the taxis to the start of the tour. Makes it much easier.

See you on board,

Tina

P.S. Are you on our roll call yet? If not, please join!

Hi Judy:

We already booked a 7-hour walking tour through them. Unfortunately we cannot add on as 7 is our limit and we are a party of 6. They came highly recommended and what is nice is that our tour guide will meet us at the ship and help us with the taxis to the start of the tour. Makes it much easier.

See you on board,

Tina

P.S. Are you on our roll call yet? If not, please join!

Hi Tina, and thanks for your post. We are probably going to book with them as well, possibly only the half day tour. And yes, we sure are on the roll call. We're in Alberta, Canada. Cheers!

Archived