Baby on Board...

cruisin2934

My wife and I are booked on Holland America's Eurodam in October for a 7-day carribean. We will be taking our son, Carter with us who will be 6-months old at the time of sailing. I was wondering if anyone had any advice for taking a baby on board. Any information would be appreciated.

I've been on board with baby's -- sun screen == 70 spf or better -- and the reflected sun is just as bad. also -- make sure he drinks lots of fluid -- and what ever you think is a short time -- cut it in half -- 30 minutes to an hour on a sun deck is enough -- look for shady spots -- babies are very susceptible

Make sure you check with your baby's pediatrician before applying sunscreen. Some are not suitable for infants. Also I just saw some powdered pedialyte in some drugstores. You might consider bringing some incase the baby experiences any nausea and requires hydration. Also some bottled water to mix formula instead of ships water. there is also something you can wash clothing with that adds spf 30 to clothing.

Make sure that your soon will be at least 6 months old on the day the ship sails. Passengers have been denied boarding if the baby was a few days short of their 6 month birth date. The computer won’t let you print their boarding pass. If he’s a few days short of meeting the age requirement find out what you need to do to assure a smooth embarkation. Usually it’s a letter from his pediatrician and a release of liability signed by both parents sent to the cruise line weeks in advance of the departure date and approved by someone in the medical department.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCC - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ‘07

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

Pending Cruises:

HAL – Westerdam, September 6, 2009

Oceania – Insignia, June 17, 2010

Archived