What would you do?

topspin1267

Another family is joining us on our trip. They are early 40's with 2 daughters 17 and 16. They are planning to book 1 ov cabin for 3 women!!! we suggested 2 interiors since that would only be $160 difference and cost is a factor.

We have always had balcony and do this time as well so really can't compare OV and IS. What would you do?

I think 4 adults basically in 1 cabin will be a nightmare. Not to mention husband is 6'4.

klfrodo read my mind. :D

The only unsolicited advice I would give is to the husband; the gym/spa has nice multi-head showers. Towels are provided. Find your way there first after embarking and remember the way. :cool:

Good friends and I did a 5 night on Fantasy....It was the parents and two teens in an OV....She said never again. But I have done 3 adult women in a cabin with a TON of stuff with no problem....So to me, it could be fine. Depends on the ship....Conquest class rooms have quite a bit of storage and room....If they packed well and all get along, it could work. That said....I'd personally do the two IS rooms connecting if possible! :):D

Another family is joining us on our trip. They are early 40's with 2 daughters 17 and 16. They are planning to book 1 ov cabin for 3 women!!! we suggested 2 interiors since that would only be $160 difference and cost is a factor.

We have always had balcony and do this time as well so really can't compare OV and IS. What would you do?

I think 4 adults basically in 1 cabin will be a nightmare. Not to mention husband is 6'4.

Totally depends on the people. We cruised 4 to an inside cabin several times (first time on NCL's oldest ship, which is a worst-case-scenario, lol). I, of course, read every post on CC and packed like a lunatic on trip to Antarctica:D. Good times and good memories. It couldn't have been too terrible because all our kids all got "the cruise bug" the first time out. We've been through several different room configurations since -- even taught our kids what a necktie on the doorknob means:eek: -- and it's all good. Definitely, though, clue them about the spa showers!

That said....I'd personally do the two IS rooms connecting if possible! :):D

totally agreed. i really like the connecting rooms, they feel so much more spacious when that door is open - it's like having a chopped up suite :D

to the op - if you want to give your opinion, and think it really won't work out for them and at least want to raise a red flag...

you might ask them how many sq ft their house is... let's just assume it's 1850 sq ft for simple math purposes (possibly larger, of course... and even if smaller, this still works)... that's 10 TIMES LARGER than the 185 sq ft cabin on spirit class ships... :eek:

that puts it into perspective ;)

you might ask them how many sq ft their house is... let's just assume it's 1850 sq ft for simple math purposes (possibly larger, of course... and even if smaller, this still works)... that's 10 TIMES LARGER than the 185 sq ft cabin on spirit class ships... :eek:

that puts it into perspective ;)

Holy crap! You mean they're going to bring all the Christmas decorations and the lawnmower??? Just kidding (mostly) of course. But when you think about a valid perspective you do have to consider that its not like they are bringing their furniture. Also, they have lots of room to live and play in all over the ship in addition to their cabin.

Holy crap! You mean they're going to bring all the Christmas decorations and the lawnmower??? Just kidding (mostly) of course.

of course... but lots of that 'storage' space is in attics or garages, which don't qualify toward the consideration of square footage (as sold and is identified), as only (air) conditioned liveable space is ;)

But when you think about a valid perspective you do have to consider that its not like they are bringing their furniture. Also, they have lots of room to live and play in all over the ship in addition to their cabin.

and i know that :rolleyes:

they're not bringing their utility room, w/d, multiple bathrooms, a 'study', walk in closets, or the kitchen... or kitchen sink... for that matter... and btw, the room DOES have furniture of it's own. and a lot of it (including the drop from the ceiling type) for 4 people in one cabin :D

how bout this... if their living room is 10x18.5... that's the size of their cabin. if it's bigger than that, then they'll be 'living' for a week, in a room smaller than their 'living' room...

is that better? :cool:

We've done 5 in a cabin. It's do-able but it's tight. We've also had 2 cabins (1 time adjoining) and it's much better.

I would just remind the male of the group how crazy it is in the morning at home in a normal size home, try that in a room the size of a large walk-in closet. Remind him of blow dryers, curling irons, flat irons, make-up, hairsprays, perfumes. Also no matter how great ones kids are, two teenage daughters will bicker. I know, I have had two teenagers, if they can, they will argue over the silliest things including and not limited to belly button lint. Don't forget the clothes!

The $160 won't seem like such a bad thing. If he choses to tough it out, suggest that he finds all the bathrooms on board the first day, he won't see the one in the state room often.

Thanks for the input. The reason I asked is this is their first cruise and they have asked me what the cabins are like. We have had 4 in a cabin before but it was a balcony and there were no teenage girls and their clothes involved. :)

Thanks again

Everybody keeps assuming that these teenage girls and the mom are going to hog the bathroom all day bicker and fight with each other for the whole vacation and have a room that is going to look like a salon...I had to laugh! LOL Not all women are like that and not all teen girls are like that!

Has the family been on OTHER vacations? Maybe they have stayed in hotels (I know the rooms are bigger but you still only hae ONE bathroom in most and don't have the option to go to the spa) before with their family and know that for the most part they get along fine. in our family 160 could go a long way and is NOT worth getting another room. We would rather use that money for excursions, shopping, massage, etc. We don't plan on spending a lot fo time in the room we sleep there we shower there we spend the day on the boat. Also hubby (who takes longer in the bathroom than I do) gets his shower in the morn. I do it at night and the kids usually do too. Takes him as long as it does all three of us.

We've stayed 5 in a OV cabin (2 parents, and children 15, 11, 7) and did fine. We even had our 2 beds together which was nice and then 2 uppers and a rollaway for our 7 yr old.

Years later my sisters and I did a sisters cruise - 4 of us in an OV on the Holiday - we also did fine. We grew up in a small home where the 4 of us shared 1 bdroom with 2 dbl beds and we only had 1 bathroom in the house anyway. It really was great all being in one cabin. We loved the craziness of all getting dressed at one time. It brought us back 20 years. :)

Now, we'd been on a cruise already so we knew the size of the cabins. And Carnival has the largest OV cabins sailing today. (The two cruises above were on the Celebration and Holiday with smaller OV cabins then those newer ships.)

The $160 they are saving can pay a big chunk of their gratuities and if cost is a factor, they can make it in 1 cabin.

Kathy

DH and I travel with 3 DS's. DH and I usually get an OV, this time we sprang for a balcony, and the 3DS's get an interior. Once we brought our oldest DS along as well so 4 to the interior. Personally, I do not want to trip over my kids the whole trip, here the bickering, complaints about who was snoring last night so, no way I am having them in the cabin with me. My cousin, however, has often travel with her whole family in one cabin (5) and they seem to manage quite nicely.

I totally agree with going with two rooms. I would suggest it but then back off. Let them learn on their own.
I think this is excellent advice Whimsy, you've given your experienced opinion, so they can not come back and say why did you not warn us they are so small? But you aren't beating them over the head with it.

This is also what I would do.

Carole

Archived