Train

robinsra

Just begining my planning for the summer of 2010. I would like to take the train from Seward to Anchorage. Spend around 5 days driving around. Is there a car rental place near the train station in Ancorage or do I need to go to the airport to rent. If that is the case how far is it to the airpot and is there transportation to get there? Thanks

Just begining my planning for the summer of 2010. I would like to take the train from Seward to Anchorage. Spend around 5 days driving around. Is there a car rental place near the train station in Ancorage or do I need to go to the airport to rent. If that is the case how far is it to the airpot and is there transportation to get there? Thanks

If you take the regular run of the Alaska Railroad (not a cruise ship one) you would get in to late to use the downtown branches of Avis and Enterprise. So looks like you'll have to go to the airport.

The only way to get to the airport from the downtown train station would be to catch a cab and you're probably looking at a $20 to $25 (including tip) for that ride.

Susan in Anchorage :)

• 2 weeks later...
When taking the train from Anchorage to Seward, does RCCL have its cars on the early (6:45 am) train for a transfer or only the AKRR? How does RCCL's cars compare with the Goldstar service on AKRR?

I was curious about just the opposite route - (the RCCL train from Seward to Anchorage) - what time does it leave; how much is the cost if you have not booked your air flight through RCCL; and if you wish to do the Kenai Fjords tour in Seward post-cruise is it better to book through the AKRR and leave at 6PM.

When taking the train from Anchorage to Seward, does RCCL have its cars on the early (6:45 am) train for a transfer or only the AKRR? How does RCCL's cars compare with the Goldstar service on AKRR?

Nope, the cruise contracted train leaves around 12pm. A poor timeframe in my opinion. Too early for much of any touring in Anchorage, and arriving too late for anything in Seward. This runs ONLY the embarkment/disembarkment.

I was curious about just the opposite route - (the RCCL train from Seward to Anchorage) - what time does it leave; how much is the cost if you have not booked your air flight through RCCL; and if you wish to do the Kenai Fjords tour in Seward post-cruise is it better to book through the AKRR and leave at 6PM.

The train is an added cost even with cruise air. It runs in the $100 range, and leaves around 7am, direct from the dock spur. You HAVE to book it direct with Alaska RR if you want a Kenai Fjords boat tour. And if leaving Anchorage that "day", a flight after 1am the next morning.

Archived