CB Princess Review Aug 22-Aug 29 2009

Solstice23

Let me just start by saying, This was our experience and understand other people can have different waiters and room stewards and overall encounters. This cruise had some positives but for us, some of our encounters left us feeling let down.

Cabin C753 Aft balcony

Dinning time Second 8:15pm in the Palm Dinning room

Positives overall.

Amazing cruise director

3 of the activities staff had great personalities

Comedians were awesome and a blast to watch

Aft balcony was nice

Chefs table EXP, was great and the best food we had all week

Now for the negatives.

The service was the worst we have ever had on a cruise ( other then NCL STAR). The staff looked very unhappy, and like Zombies, most never interacted with the passengers, this was our biggest let down. Here are some examples

1. No sheets on the bed. We had to go to the front desk to ask for some. The the room steward and his boss approach my wife and I in the hall and explained that "we need to request sheets if we would like them" This is not 4-5 star hotel practice but we let it go once we got sheets and were happy.

2. No turn down the first night in our room, we had to call and request fresh towels on the Sunday Morning. My wife opened the door they were handed to her...with no "good Morning" or anything, my wife said "good Morning" nothing back.....

3. Second seating in the Palm.

*First night over 20 minutes late opening.

*then our waited was so slow we got out last and missed getting a seat for the first show. The second night the same, we were seated and ready prior to tables near us yet they all had food before our table did. We went to speak to the Maitre D but were told "he was gone for the night" ?????? then a head waiter came to our table and explained "our waiter has 3 tables we can't expect to be on time for the show every night, our waiter will rotate who will be on time" I am sorry but this is crazy,

*The second night also we had no assistant waiter.

*Princess has no wine or bar people making it slow,

as for the food, in the MDR...It was ok, nothing to write home about. The menus were basic and boring and my Wife had a hard time some nights getting excited about choosing something. Some dishes were good though, desserts lacking. Princess should get rid of the "HOME COOKING" selection, it made us feel like we are at roadhouse or something. The first chilled soup I ordered came in a drink glass with a straw??? tacky I think, then the next night the same, I finally had to ensure I asked for it to come in a bowl. The soup just kept getting stuck in the Straw, its ok for buffet but not a MDR presentation. Compared to Celebrity it was not as good, and my wife asked for benaise sauce and response was "no" it should have been let us try.....She also like creme Brulee and Celebrity would also make this every night for her, Princess said "no" I know Princess fans you will get annoyed, but these are small things we are used to, regards to basic service, and were not even close or trying be be such at our table.

The crown grill......RCCL Chops is much better in decor and service. Princess felt like and slightly more upscale Ponderosa or something. But the food was OK, Dessert was very good also.

Chefs Table. Awesome is all I can say, Presentation and service is what we are used to normally on other ships. I am glad we decided to try this exp, and Everyone should do the same! Also met some wonderful people at this table, what a great evening.

Shows and theatre

Ok the Comedians were great, we enjoyed this on Princess very Much.

The Production shows were hard to listen too and or watch. After 10 years in Drum Corps and many cruises...I was surprised on how bad the 2 shows were. 1 of the singers last name WARD was amazing the others pain full to listen too. Dancers out of time and productions oddly arranged. To be honest the Shows on our Last Celebrity cruise were nothing to write home about either but the singers were better as a whole. Mant times people had to sit on the stairs or stand since not enough seating ( bad design) ship is big so should the theatre

the staff talent show was a good idea, but they let passengers blow up hundred balloons and let passengers hit them around the theatre ( neat idea) until one knocked my Martini that I had 2 sips of and it went all over my wife's Pants. i went to the front desk after to explain ...they offered nothing ...no cleaning no refund...infact he said "Balloons I have never heard this before Balloon's...I then pointed out to him the kids running across the hall with balloons...No one ever did get back to me. Dissapointing

Pool band/ In the wheelhouse band...Awful

Bug Band...OK

Overall ship design

Confusing and the decor dated and blah. But we did like the club fusion I idea, but it was really only ever a dance event floor. The pools were also nice. But we are glad we did not have my father in Law with us, in a wheelchair this ship is hard, stairs everywhere!!! up 2 down 2 ....one elevator to a bar the other doe not...??? its odd overall.

Stateroom

The smallest we have had ever. It was kept clean and neat, and the new flat screens were neat. They need to allow you to check your bill on the TV though...getting in line is such a bother. The washroom was just so small with no ledge for Shampoo etc. Back balcony nice

Buffet.

WE HATED THIS THE MOST.

picture this....

rice pudding next to pasta next to cheese burritos, the in front of them jello cups?????? very odd and nothing ever seemed to be paired correctly it was always a miss matched ensemble. Salad bar was good. But we rather the waiters serve the food rather then using sticky Tongs for everything.

One issue in the Buffet was trying to get cutlery. You would find a table but the staff were so bad, they would walk right by people, and along with us I saw many passengers giving up and getting there own from the waiters cart. No one offering to get you a drink from the bard or anything.

I found the buffet overall the biggest let down compared to or most recent cruise and past ones. As for the pool Grill, after boarding in halifax I thought we would have a pool side lunch, I asked for a veggie burger the reply why "25 minute wait" ????? in a rude tone, the guy for sure did not want to be working that day....It only took me 1 hour to fly home to Toronto and I would need to wait 25 minutes for a veggie burger????? So I had the Chicken Breast burger and it was ok.

The Pizza was gross, sorry pizza fans...and you cannot select your on toppings???

Ice Cream Small...and you had to pay for toppings???? this was all new to us.

Then last night I put our bags out by 830, when we woke up they were still in the hall. I spoke to Guest Services and they yelled at us saying "thats what happens when you don't put them out on time"????? They were annoyed. I think its because our room was the Corner Aft room down a semi private hall? but wait when was this ship built??? give me a break. They said we would need to take the luggage our selves, I held my ground and asked for it to be removed and ready on time. This was our last straw with the CB

Overall we liked some aspects and we feel, that this ship does not represent Princess overall, from people we have talked to on the ship who were also not happy. So we will try Princess again perhaps next summer. But we had many other issues service wise over and over and I am just over it, it's like a bad dream. I know Princess is better the the CB was for us, and hope to see it next time. Overall I am sorry If I offend anyone but really it was just not good this time. We did enjoy the people we met, and the games we won or did not win...HAHA and the Ports. And for the people who say its cutback time, we just sailed on a ship during cutback time from San Juan and it was so much better in service and most food then the CB was on our week.

Any questions I am happy to answer, Sorry again for Princess fans .....we really wanted to enjoy more, but perhaps like I said...Next year might be way better on Princess!

As we remember things I might post more, just tired today

Thanks for the review. I am smiling because I can't imagine this week. Just to say not being American, I loved the home style menu. I am not even sure what's a roadhouse is but I am pretty sure it's not the same as a outhouse:confused: Those items help the less American palate to enjoy what other Americans eat but I would not normally make. After reading yours I will finish mine. Hope your next cruise is better.

Thanks for the review.

I have to say also after reading your posts prior to this cruise I did not expect anything else from your review, you were bound and determined to have a bad time. :(

Actually...we were pumped in the weeks leading up to the review...And it was not our own actions that created bad service. But as I said above Many things we did like.

Thanks again

Is anyone surprised by this review?

I can't speak for others but I could have written this review for the OP months ago. We had to know this was coming!

OK... for speaking the truth, go ahead... ban me for life! Some things just need to be said!

I can't speak for others but I could have written this review for the OP months ago. We had to know this was coming!

OK... for speaking the truth, go ahead... ban me for life! Some things just need to be said!

Thanks Wilfros,

But to be honest...I have said we would try Princess again, and many many people on this cruise said it was not up to the Princess they have come to LOVE! And may I ask how many cruises you have been on Wilfros that you would accept the level of service we did and paid for?

We have written some good things and the bad, I am sorry it was not as good as it could have been but its no fault of our own in these cases.

Thank you for your review. Just one question.....there were no sheets on your bed? Was there just a bare mattress??

Bottom sheet yes,

But we have never stayed in any Westin, Four seasons, W, Or any ship without a top sheet. I understand the EURO DUVET concept...but when we asked they made us feel like we were crazy for asking? We met other people commenting on needing sheets also.

Its ok now we know to ask on the next Princess Cruise!

Boy, they must have changed over the whole cruise staff from when we left the ship on August 22 until you boarded the same day. Our experience with the staff was great! Very friendly, hospitable, and accommodating.

There is a duvet cover on the bed but no sheet. It you wanted a top sheet it would have been easy to ask for. I'm sure your room steward would have been happy to help you with that.

Differences in philosophy....a bad day on a cruise ship is still a very good day. Hope you find something that suits your tastes.

Bottom sheet yes,

But we have never stayed in any Westin, Four seasons, W, Or any ship without a top sheet. I understand the EURO DUVET concept...but when we asked they made us feel like we were crazy for asking? We met other people commenting on needing sheets also.

Usually with a duvet there is no top sheet. We always ask for one as the duvet gets too hot for us sometimes:)

Now, you disbelievers, will understand my theory of parallel worlds!

Or, perhaps my other theory - before sailing all room numbers are placed in a hat by the crew - the drawn cabin number gets to experience the "cruise from HELL"

Just a theory????

Ron

Or, perhaps my other theory - before sailing all room numbers are placed in a hat by the crew - the drawn cabin number gets to experience the "cruise from HELL"

Just a theory????

Ron

Needed a good laugh! Thanks Ron:p

No sheets?? No towels??? I find it hard to believe...We had sheets, towels...our stewart was like a ninja...barely saw the man but our room was always made up... My daughter called him an Asian Santa because was always leaving us goodies... You must have been on different cruise...

Just a theory????

Ron

YES ... or maybe, JUST maybe... They read this board and give the passengers what they expect.

Go expecting a good time and they will show you one... Go expecting the cruise from hell and they will fulfill that wish also. Hey, like Disney World for adults.

YES ... or maybe, JUST maybe... They read this board and give the passengers what they expect.

Go expecting a good time and they will show you one... Go expecting the cruise from hell and they will fulfill that wish also. Hey, like Disney World for adults.

some of you on here are just S__t disturbers....this is what happened to us and thats all I can say...We had a good time on some aspects and we did write it....We love to cruise and will cruise Princess again, I just think this Ship has some serious Management issues, I am sure other Princess ships are much better. I can say we try to sail on more cruise lines then just sticking to one line. We only have have our own past cruises to go by, We did have a good vacation, and went thinking this, No one who knows us thinks we are unhappy negative people! But day after day some service issues happened that left us questioning the Management on the CB. I Cannot Change what we encountered, and we came home happy but just wanting more of the Princess we sailed before and heard all of you talk about. Many people have different waiters and room stewards....Heck Our waiter never learned all of our tables names not one of them! But we still tipped him and thanked him and enjoyed the company at our table.

Thanks for taking the time to post your review.

I had your cabin and the opposite corner aft several times, and luggage was always taken.......maybe late, but never forgotten. So guest services "yelled" at you? You should of reported something like that.

Pizza being gross? I actually think this description of Princess' pizza is a first.

Hope your next cruise is not a "bad dream":rolleyes:

Bottom sheet yes,

We always include our request for a top sheet when we fax our request for an egg crate and the top sheet is waiting on our bed when we board.

Hsve to disagree with some of the negative posts about the review.

Many of the problems mentioned have noting to do with any possible attitude of the OP whom I assume was looking forward to a fun cruise.

Luggage not removed from a dead end around the corner hallway? That was a Princess problem,, not the OP's.

Buffet staff not bringing flatware in a reasonable amount of time? A Princess problem, not the OP's. It was Princess that stopped distributing the flatware when you entered the buffet line and said the waitstaff would provide it at the table.

No turn down? The cabin steward was at fault.

Yes, many of the complaints were not about items of giant importance, but they are valid complaints from the OP's point of view.

This was the OP's review. I have been on cruises where people said what a wonderful time they had - case in point - June 6, 2009 Carnival Triumph. I thought it was terrible but there were people here who called one of the reviewers all kinds of names. This was his experience. If you didn't experience the same thing then that's great because I wouldn't have wanted his experiences.

This was the OP's review. I have been on cruises where people said what a wonderful time they had - case in point - June 6, 2009 Carnival Triumph. I thought it was terrible but there were people here who called one of the reviewers all kinds of names. This was his experience. If you didn't experience the same thing then that's great because I wouldn't have wanted his experiences.

Amen!

WOW .I was on the same cruise. And did not see anything of what your talking about. On the whole I think everything was great. I know everyone is not going to like everything, but it seems like you had some major problems on this cruise. It doesnt seem possible that it was the same ship.

Thanks for the review.

I have to say also after reading your posts prior to this cruise I did not expect anything else from your review, you were bound and determined to have a bad time. :(

I had the same expectations as soon as I saw who was the OP. Before I opened this thread, I knew what the tone of it would be.

At the very least his review isnt accuate...No sheets..no towels?? come on??? read my review... I thought I called it fairly... You know what..Im on vacation with my wife and daughter..two people I love.. enjoying new places and living life... You wanna get caught up in the small stuff its your life. But, its short...Is the glass half full or half empty?

Archived