CB Princess Review Aug 22-Aug 29 2009

Solstice23

I am an Elite Member" of Princess. We sailed over 20 cruises with them so far. We also sail other Cruiselines. This same thing happened to us 3 yrs. ago on the "Crown Princess". No top sheet and when I requested it from our room steward, He gave us an attitude. He did put it on bed that first night. This is His job! From personal experiences, even though it might be an annoyance as it happened only one time, You get over it. However, if you do happen to get a room steward that doesn't do his job,& day after day , He doesn't do what You expect, it can become a problem. It may not ruin your cruise but it takes something away from the enjoyment of it. On the "Crown Cruise" that I mentioned above, We would also leave our cabin everyday by 9AM and would come back to the cabin and bed & room wouldn't be made up until after 2PM.This man had really nothing to do for us in our room. I picked up the room and put everything in its place. The bathroom was also picked up and just needed clean towels and washing of sink and shower. Then my husband spoke to him and He wasn't very pleasant. My husband after 3 days of this man's attitude called "room sevices" and spoke to a supervisor. We then received a room steward that was excellent. Sometimes, You have to speak up to get what you expected. Thanks for your review. We are going on this cruise mid-September ourselves. IKE

No top sheet is a standard practice on Princess, you have to ask for it.

I have experienced a "Stewart" such as this and I would not have waited 3 days. You have more patience then I.

I thank you for your review and believe you. FTLOG, I love it when

people come on the boards to attack posters who have actually experienced something negative. After all, isn't this site called Cruise

Critic? Aren't critics supposed to critique things? we are all amateur

critics in our own way... I have been on 9 Princess cruises with a 10th

to commence next month. However, I too have noticed a slight

decline with the last couple Princess cruises. I'm sure all lines have

had somewhat of a decline considering the time we're living in with

our suppressed economy here in America, but I really enjoy hearing

dissenting opinions ... that is what this board is for.

It's just wrong for other people to accuse the OP of purposely wanting

to have a less than stellar time. I have to agree, Celebrity was a more

upscale experience. As for not having a top sheet on the bed, yes,

a lot of people on this board have complained about that in the past;

yes, I too have asked the room steward for a top sheet. But if I

had discourteous attitued from some cruise ship employees, that would

put a bad taste in my mouth, too. \\\

Apparently you did not participate in or read the OP's posts pre cruise either. Maybe you should do a little homewoerk before berating honest opinions. :cool:

Apparently you did not participate in or read the OP's posts pre cruise either. Maybe you should do a little homewoerk before berating honest opinions. :cool:

Who are you to berate MY honest opinion? This was not a personal attack against you.

Apparently, you are an all-knowing omnipotent human being who seems to know

better than the OP what the OP's true experiences were.

Let's quit hair splitting here and just stick to the facts. The OP went on

a cruise. The OP said the cruise wasn't perfect. For some reason this

has become personal to you. You seem to be annoyed that a lot of

posters don't agree with you. I'm sure you will find that most of

us on the board don't care to dedicate a tremendous amount of time to this issue

by researching prior correspondences that the OP may have had

with other cruise critique posters which potentially disclosed the OP's

intent to have a bad cruise.

Hmm, maybe we should hold court here on the board to throw

the book at the OP for premeditating a bad cruise?:rolleyes:

Who are you to berate MY honest opinion? This was not a personal attack against you.

us on the board don't care to dedicate a tremendous amount of time to this issue

Yeah its personal. Hold that thought. :rolleyes:

Just curious, is the word "homewoerk" tantamount to the word "stewart"?:D

I wrote many good things about princess and told people to book them over other lines...so do your homework also please... The one issue people jumped on me in the past was because I thought the package they sent was not as good as other marketing and tickets I have seen, It is my opinion. If we did not want to sail or try Princess again we would not have. We work hard like everyone for our money, but again we are not cheap and we cruise and travel much.

When I travel for work or for vacation, Not once in any 5 star hotel have we not had sheets, and if the staff at a hotel was rude I would feel the same as I do now from the CB! To have ignorance towards our point of view from our paid vacation is just wrong, Some of the people attacking our points have no cruises other the Princess listed. We will continue to try other ships and cruise Lines. We are looking at Azamara, and Cunard as an option next summer also.

We do understand some people love Princess, and Like I have stated more then once, We do feel that some other ships in the Princess fleet are Managed way better then the CB was for OUR cruise.

We did meet some great people some of who from the UK today just emailed so they can join us in March on a cruise. I will not dignify ignorance towards our review, you all have opinions and feelings and I am glad to see that some people are as Passionate about Princess as we are of X. Its funny how much of went wrong was in the CB's best interest to fix or do correctly, I hope it gets better, and yes we will sail princess again perhaps a small ship?

I wrote many good things about princess and told people to book them over other lines...so do your homework also please... The one issue people jumped on me in the past was because I thought the package they sent was not as good as other marketing and tickets I have seen, It is my opinion. If we did not want to sail or try Princess again we would not have. We work hard like everyone for our money, but again we are not cheap and we cruise and travel much.

When I travel for work or for vacation, Not once in any 5 star hotel have we not had sheets, and if the staff at a hotel was rude I would feel the same as I do now from the CB! To have ignorance towards our point of view from our paid vacation is just wrong, Some of the people attacking our points have no cruises other the Princess listed. We will continue to try other ships and cruise Lines. We are looking at Azamara, and Cunard as an option next summer also.

We do understand some people love Princess, and Like I have stated more then once, We do feel that some other ships in the Princess fleet are Managed way better then the CB was for OUR cruise.

We did meet some great people some of who from the UK today just emailed so they can join us in March on a cruise. I will not dignify ignorance towards our review, you all have opinions and feelings and I am glad to see that some people are as Passionate about Princess as we are of X. Its funny how much of went wrong was in the CB's best interest to fix or do correctly, I hope it gets better, and yes we will sail princess again perhaps a small ship?

I am sorry this thread has deteriorated. What I said was my opinion and thats it. You are the one that cruised so you gave your view. Thats what CC is all about. :)

I'm a little apprehensive to sail on the CB after reading so many negative

reviews, or to sail on Princess any more at all. Its very frustrating

to think that I wonn't get sheets on the bed. I've heard of cutting corners

but this is ridiculous.:eek:

I am sorry the OP had these bad experiences. I hope your next Princess cruise is better for you, if you cruise Princess again.

We have had the duvet on our last 2 European cruises without a top sheet, we also had that when we stayed with friends in Switzerland. I have found it to be quite comfortable, even though it is not what I am used to at home. Last year I said how much I liked creme brulet and then got it every night.

My only expectation is to be on a ship with food and a bed and fun ports to visit. Having that I am happy and anything else is a plus. For me a cruise is better than any land vacation. I am glad my expectations are low, that way everytime I cruise it's wonderful.

I did cruise Celebrity once and found their prices to be same as Princess. I did find the decor on Infinity blah and the fake flowers were dirty throughout the ship. I found the menu in the MDR lacked variety with the same sauces on the different entrees. That being said it was still an awesome cruise and we had a wonderful time. As I think back on this, when we went on Celebrity we were excited with high expectations as we had heard from so many how much better it was than the other main cruise lines, especially the service. We found it no better than Princess. This shows me I should continue to keep my expectations low!

Take most everything you read here with a grain of salt. These are folk's personal opinions and, as you know, everyone has one. I, personally, had a great time on my cruise on the Caribbean Princess. Others have too. As for the sheet question, you'll have a bottom sheet, and a duvet. Ask for a top sheet if that is what you are accustomed to... we never found it to be a problem.

This sheet issue is starting to make us wonder I think we will start a poll!

have you ever stayed in a 5 star hotel or someones guest room without a top sheet? LOL so funny, but we like top sheets and provide them to our guests at our families summer home in Muskoka and our home. We only have Duvets in our home and still use top sheets. i understand if some people do not need top sheets with a duvet, but normal practice in any good hotel is to have top sheets. The main issue was how we were treated after inquiring about the sheet, that was the main issue.

This is what CC is for to help other people find out info that they might need to make there cruise less confusing and to understand how some lines can differ. If we had known we needed to ask for a TOP sheet we would have, just a thought why not add it to the cruise personalizer? like how you can requests robes ( BTW we had to ask on ship about getting those also)

Please.....don't be apprehensive! Sailed on the CB last year and will again this coming Saturday. You'll have all the sheets you want:p Some reviews make it seem like you'll be sailing on a garbage barge:rolleyes: Go with an open mind and enjoy every minute of your fabulous cruise:)

have you ever stayed in a 5 star hotel or someones guest room without a top sheet? LOL so funny, but we like top sheets and provide them to our guests at our families summer home in Muskoka and our home. We only have Duvets in our home and still use top sheets. i understand if some people do not need top sheets with a duvet, but normal practice in any good hotel is to have top sheets. The main issue was how we were treated after inquiring about the sheet, that was the main issue.

You sailed on the Grand in 2003, there's been no top sheet that I remember in years.

You really need to go back and read some of the OPs posts over the past few months, all we've heard is bitching and whining for months about their upcoming cruise. Unless you had to go through that on a constant basis, you shouldn't be bashing anyone. We can take bad reviews but this whole subject has become laughable.

After reading all the prior questions and complaints submitted by the OP before this cruise even took place, you can probably guess, I have been sitting on my hands all day long so as not to find those threads and post the links to them here. OMG, this reaction was predicted numerous times even before the OP left for this cruise, so it was no great surprise at all to many of us that followed along for months. :rolleyes:

I hope the OP thoroughly enjoys his next 'suite' on Celebrity. ;)

We've been on many cruises. We've previously sailed CB (several years ago) and enjoyed her very much. Our Crown sailing in February of this year was perhaps our best ever. We're on CB in late October. We are looking forward to a wonderful time. We treat the staff with smiles and respect, and we always get the same in return.

Thanks for the review. I don't think you're crazy. I'l be sailing CB next week and my expectations are for a very fun cruise with great friends and the DH. However, My expectations are "managed" and this time I am prepared. We sailed on CB in February and we noted many of the same issues that have been brought up on this thread.

1. HOT, HOT, HOT ship. me and my buddy were dying at night. Not a good way to get gents to dress formally. Other than formal nights, I'll be wearing short sleeve shirts.

2. Buffet is just not nice so, we're planning on eating in the DR for breakfast and IC and pizza for lunch. Hard to belive you didn't like the pizza, and I'm from NJ, but, "to each his own" as we say.

3. SOME, not all, rude staff. We will be sure to break their "ballz" accordingly. Me and my pal love messing with these folks when we are in a "spirited" mood. Don't plan to let them rain on our parade.

4. Annoying front desk lines and rude customer service... don't plan on waiting in line this time as have already packed everything that would run up my tab;)

5. Awful "coffee" if that is even a fair thing to call that syrup garbage. This time, I know about the coffee card and already secured a buy-1-get-1 coupon thanks to generous support from this site.

Every line is different and each has their bright spots and not-so-bright areas. With that said, it's nice to know what you're getting into and I think that is what this site is all about. So, thanks again for posting and not being deterred (sp?).

You really need to go back and read some of the OPs posts over the past few months, all we've heard is bitching and whining for months about their upcoming cruise. Unless you had to go through that on a constant basis, you shouldn't be bashing anyone. We can take bad reviews but this whole subject has become laughable.

But what I can't understand is why should it affect you that the OP

has been complaining? I don't deem her/his honest review as anything

other than constructive criticism. I don't have a tremendous amount

of time to devote to criticism of others as many on this board do.

I simply enjoy reading reviews of various cruises, but what I've come

to expect from this board is if a cruiser posts a review that is

a forthcoming, honest unsugarcoated review, then some people try to call them out. It's played out over and over.

Obviously, some of you feel very passionately about your positions, and

that's your right to, but don't condemn me because I too have an opinion.

I may not have 5,000 to 21,000 posts, but I do have a lot of experience, with many cruises under my belt through the years as well as much traveling independently, but

I don't have time to go back and look at every person's previous posts.

Therefore, I'm only going on what I read here, a review, a critique,

a Cruise Critic Critique.

I thought the OP gave a clear and concise recitation of her/his cruising

experience.

Have a blessed day

But what I can't understand is why should it affect you that the OP

has been complaining? I don't deem her/his honest review as anything

other than constructive criticism. I don't have a tremendous amount

of time to devote to criticism of others as many on this board do.

I simply enjoy reading reviews of various cruises, but what I've come

to expect from this board is if a cruiser posts a review that is

a forthcoming, honest unsugarcoated review, then some people try to call them out. It's played out over and over.

Obviously, some of you feel very passionately about your positions, and

that's your right to, but don't condemn me because I too have an opinion.

I may not have 5,000 to 21,000 posts, but I do have a lot of experience, with many cruises under my belt through the years as well as much traveling independently, but

I don't have time to go back and look at every person's previous posts.

Therefore, I'm only going on what I read here, a review, a critique,

a Cruise Critic Critique.

I thought the OP gave a clear and concise recitation of her/his cruising

experience.

Have a blessed day

Why would post count have anything to do with this, it seems that this bothers you quite abit?

Is this the only thing you have to attack is peoples "positions"?

What in the world does that mean?

I have actually stayed in several European hotels where this is common practice. Most recently, I stayed in a posh London B&B. There was a beadspread over 2 single-sized duvets and a bottom sheet. There was no top sheet. The duvet covers are laundered between guests. It is certainly just as or more hygienic that the bottom sheet, top sheet, blanket, and bedspread set-up. I have also stayed in nice hotels in Switzerland where they make the beds this way. Princess may have a more European way of making the beds.

My apologies... you are, of course, correct. The "troubled ship" quote was from Kendon, who, apparently, had a much worse cruise than you... :p

And yes, we don't have much humidity here in LA, when we do it's miserable (it's 104 right now, with humidity in the teens... so it's hot, but, as we say, it's a dry heat! :rolleyes:) But then again, our average temp during the winter is in the 60's.

No, not a much worse cruise than toronto...don't assume.

Sorry, but I have to add something (again)...

You are incorrect, or rather incomplete with the above statement. The OP has never whined or bitched about any other cruise line other than Princess (I believe his statement was "we are not looking forward to our cruise on CB" or some such thing). Further the OP has never whined or bitched about any of the 5 STAR hotels he has told us about over and over and over again.

Laughable?? I think not!!! Sad?? Most definitely. This is exaserbated by the fact that some people are really looking for an objective review and read this thread and think OMG what am I getting into with the cruise I have booked on CB? Well, you are going to have the time of your life on a great ship with a fantastic crew... GO and HAVE FUN, CB is well prepared to show you a great time.

JMHO of course.

The kinds of attitudes from Princess cruisers is why we cancelled our Princess cruise to Alaska and rebooked HAL. We are not brand loyalists, we cruise with whatever line has the itinerary we want at the time. Initially I was very excited about our first Princess cruise until I started to read this board. Called my agent and cancelled immediately. All Toronto 25 wanted to to was post their experience with Princess. Not yours or anyone elses - just theirs. Then the accusations start to fly.

Archived