Trousers/slacks for formal night?

doemichael

I do not wear dresses or skirts, will it be ok to wear black trousers with a top on formal night ? How out of place will I look ?

The tops I have bought is very suitable for formal wear and can be worn with skirt or trousers.

Does every woman wear a dress???????

If they are "evening" trousers, they will be fine. A pair of cotton/twill trousers are NOT formal!

You will see women in both gown and cocktail dresses, and some in evening pants....it's the material, and the "flow" of the material that makes it "evening appropriate". Silk, satin...materials like that are "formal"...and paired with a sparkley top, (or something you really wouldn't wear during the day, to the shops, or school....) would be most appropriate.

From what I've read on these boards, you will see everything on formal night: tuxes, suits, shirts with ties, shirts with no ties, gowns, cocktail dresses, slacks, basic work dresses, skirts, whatever. It seems to me you'll be fine! Before I found some dresses at discount stores, I was planning to wear black slacks and a halter top myself on the 2nd formal night. I'm still bringing it along as a "just in case" outfit. You never know if a zipper may break!

I have seen Methodist church dresses and Fredrick's of Hollywood and most points in between. Most outstanding memory was a blue and pink large plaid tuxedo on a large man:eek: He was having a ball and taking the photo package and just knew he was so cool. Sure he could take another cruise for the price of that suit in that it HAD to be custom made! As my Momma says neat and clean and please yourself. Feel pretty and go with confidence.

Are they evening slacks? If they're wool or very tailored they may not be quite right.

I have a pair of ladies tuxedo pants that I have worn with dressy tops and they fit right in - especially with a pair of dressy shoes. There will be ladies in evening pants with dressy tops, so as long as your pants and shoes aren't too daytime then you'll be just fine. ;)

I have a grey chiffon pantsuit with detail embroidery and beading on the shell and jacket. It's very dressy and I've worn it on formal night many times.

Very similar to the pants in this outfit, but light grey in color:

http://www.roamans.com/clothing/Feminine-3-pc-floral-beaded-duster-pantset.aspx?PfId=171973&DeptId=19593&ProductTypeId=1&PurchaseType=0

I've also worn nice black slinky knit or jersey knit pants with a sparkly top.

As mentioned above, if the pants are intended for dressy occasions, then you wil look great!

Thanks everyone, yes that are dressy trousers/pants and have a black sparkly top to go with it . Still need to sort second evening though lol

My DD got a beautiful dress for one formal night but for second has got black trousers and a dressy top as well, shes young though and can look brilliant in anything lol

Thanks everyone, yes that are dressy trousers/pants and have a black sparkly top to go with it . Still need to sort second evening though lol

My DD got a beautiful dress for one formal night but for second has got black trousers and a dressy top as well, shes young though and can look brilliant in anything lol

To save weight in my luggage I have several dressy tops that I wear with the same pants or skirts. I took my sister shopping when she visited two weeks ago. She is going on her first cruise in September and she wanted help with what to wear on formal nights. She already had a nice pair of slinky knit black pants, so we got her two great dressy tops to wear with them. We hit terrific bargains at Ross, Marshalls, and Dress Barn clearance racks. I got a gorgeous peacock print sleeveless floor length jersey dress to wear, and I am today making a solid georgette jacket to put over it (upper arm alert!!!).

Just a suggestion or two for you. :D

Archived