Need a Private Guide for Istanbul

for a half day tour. Will be arriving this Saturday. Anyone used someone fantastic?

Check other postings on this website for other suggestions and options. For this large and wonderful city of Istanbul with 15 million people and growing, a guide is really important to see more and be time-efficient. We had two full days in Istanbul and our private guide was Lale Kosagan. She was great! Given the differences in their alphabet, you really that help in getting around and seeing so much that is there in Istanbul. Her contact points are:

kosagan@yahoo.com

http://www.privatetoursinturkey.com

Now is a little late to line up a good guide, especially during the busier, peak tourist times there. Good luck. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Unless you are set on having a private tour, Istanbul is quite easy to do on your own. I assume you are on a cruise ship; if so, you can take the tram (runs right alongside where the cruise ships dock) into the old part of the city (Sultanahmet). If you get off at the Sultanahmet stop, the main sites of Haghia Sophia, the Blue Mosque, and Topkapi Palace are all right there (also other sites like the wonderful Archeological Museum, Islamic Arts Museum, and the Basilica Cistern -- but if you only have half a day, I'm not sure how much you will be able to fit in).

If you definitely want a private guide, I suggest doing a search on this board for "Istanbul guide" and you'll find a few recommendations. I've done it both ways and found that I preferred doing it on my own.

Check other postings on this website for other suggestions and options. For this large and wonderful city of Istanbul with 15 million people and growing, a guide is really important to see more and be time-efficient. We had two full days in Istanbul and our private guide was Lale Kosagan. She was great! Given the differences in their alphabet, you really that help in getting around and seeing so much that is there in Istanbul. Her contact points are:

kosagan@yahoo.com

www.privatetoursinturkey.com

Now is a little late to line up a good guide, especially during the busier, peak tourist times there. Good luck. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

I have to totally disagree with this post as far as needing a guide and agree with cruisemom42. You absolutely do not need a guide for a half day in Istanbul. All the major sights are within easy walking distance and it's one of the easiest cities I've ever visited in Europe as far as finding things. You can always orient yourself by looking at the Blue Mosque. Almost impossible to get lost. Most signs are in English, so not sure what the alphabet remark is about.

However, I understand that some people are not comfortable in a foreign city on their own, so good luck, whatever you choose.

I have to totally disagree with this post as far as needing a guide and agree with cruisemom42. You absolutely do not need a guide for a half day in Istanbul. All the major sights are within easy walking distance and it's one of the easiest cities I've ever visited in Europe as far as finding things. You can always orient yourself by looking at the Blue Mosque. Almost impossible to get lost. Most signs are in English, so not sure what the alphabet remark is about.

However, I understand that some people are not comfortable in a foreign city on their own, so good luck, whatever you choose.

FWIW, I agree -- and am also confused about the alphabet comment to which you responded. Turkish has been written in a slightly modified Roman script since 1928.

The main sites (i.e., what you are likely to want to visit as a cruise ship mini-tourist) are all easily within walking distance of each other. The tram connects them to the cruise ship port (and, if you don't want to walk to the bazaars from the other sites, connects these, also).

• 2 years later...

Glad to find this thread. We were going to use a private tour for the day but we are not now. We overdid our budget and are going to DIY in ports that seem very easy to do.

We plan to see the Underground Cistern and Blue Mosque. I was wondering if there will be any information available to explain what we are seeing, in English. For the Undergrond Cistern, is there some kind of tour at certain times?

I was wondering if there will be any information available to explain what we are seeing, in English. For the Undergrond Cistern, is there some kind of tour at certain times?

No, there are no tours. It's just a large, underground cistern with reused columns from various temples. Get hold of a guidebook and you can read all there is to read about it in about 10 minutes or less....

There is the so-called "peacock pillar" due to its carvings, which is said to "weep". You'll have no problem spotting it, it is distinctive and more well-lit than other columns nearby.

P1000246.JPG

The other highlight is the two Medusa heads at the back of the cistern that are used to "prop up" a couple of columns. They were originally from a pagan temple. The practical Byzantine Romans (by this time the Empire was Christian) probably used them for two reasons: 1) they were the right height, and 2) using them sent a message that the Roman/Byzantine Christians had mastered the pagans.

P1000256.JPG

That's really it. Oh, unless you want to tell your kids it once held 20 million gallons of water. And it was featured in a James Bond movie.

:D

....Bazaar where we were taken back to the ship.

Really? Did you pull up this three year old thread to post your tour recommendation to get around the posting guidelines that do not allow you to start a new thread recommending tours?

Archived