BEST restaurant for lunch in Barbados?

RQINFL

Brown Sugar, Aquatic Gap (also the approach to Hilton)

Waterfront Cafe in Bridgetown

-just off the top of her head, but there are many others!

Pick which one

Lobsters1.jpg

Live lobster at that place on Carlisle Bay next to Boatyard

or Tabboo as I believe it may have been renamed recently..

they too have nice food.

West Indian Island cuisine doesn't disappoint.Lots of herbs and spices

- and marinating fish and chicken in lime and salt for a few hrs beforehand.

Things like that.

Bonito when you get over to Bathsheba....is another

as is Round House just a quarter mile North of Bonito at Hi Rock.

• 2 weeks later...

The Round House is in Bathsheba, which is very scenic. We had hired a driver thru Cameron Reid (www.scenicbarbados.com) and asked him to take us someplace nice for lunch, and also told him that I specifically wanted to try flying fish. The Round House is where he took us and we could not have been more pleased. Here's a map of Barbados, so you can see where Bathsheba is in relation to the port (it's on the other side of the island) http://www.barbados.org/map_print.htm?Map=Barbados This map also gives points of interest, so if you want to plan a tour, this will give you some ideas.

• 2 weeks later...
The Round House is in Bathsheba, which is very scenic. We had hired a driver thru Cameron Reid (www.scenicbarbados.com) and asked him to take us someplace nice for lunch, and also told him that I specifically wanted to try flying fish. The Round House is where he took us and we could not have been more pleased. Here's a map of Barbados, so you can see where Bathsheba is in relation to the port (it's on the other side of the island) http://www.barbados.org/map_print.htm?Map=Barbados This map also gives points of interest, so if you want to plan a tour, this will give you some ideas.

Thanks so much for the map. this is just what I was looking at. We want to do Barbados as our "play it by ear" island. We stop at five island on our cruise and have tours planed at the other four. In Barbados we would rather not have an kind of schedule. Just kind go wherever, whenever we feel like it.

Are taxi's expensive?? And can you give me any idea of the scale on this map? How far apart are these areas and how many can we get to in a short manner of time?

thanks for your help.

I can't answer your question about taxis. We've used the services of Cameron Reid for our island tours twice now. He will provide a car and driver and you can decide where you want to go or the driver can make suggestions. Here's Cameron's website, which would give you some ideas of sights you might want to see. When we first used Cameron's services, I had emailed him with several sights we wanted to see, and he emailed me back and kindly let me know that my itinerary was a bit too ambitious for the time I had on the island that day. :) You see, it's not just the distance between the attractions, but the roads on Barbados are narrow and winding, and so one doesn't just zip from one place to the next like we might here at home. How many sights you can reasonably see will depend on how far apart they are and low long you plan to spend at each. If you are doing tours on the other islands, I'd recommend maybe just doing an overall island tour on Barbados; seeing Bathsheba, the Highlands, maybe Gun Hill Station and the Lion there; seeing some of the lovely beaches, maybe stopping for lunch and trying the flying fish.

www.scenicbarbados.com

I would have to say that the restaurants that aplmac has suggested are non-tourist, as locals frequent these.

Barbados has many restaurants that locals visit that visitors might not, but I guess those would mostly be Rum shops and the like.. in my mind, I wouldn't say that the restaurants in Barbados could be classified as one or the other.. they cater to both. (except that some have prices that would make most locals think twice about going to, but they still go out for special occasions sooo).

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for your replies~ we like to go to non-touristy restaurants that cruise ship passengers do not normally go to. Like to get a local feel for the island rather than a tourist type spot.

What would you recommend doing for the day other than having lunch?

• 3 months later...
Any reviews or pictures of the following restaurants?

Bonito Beach Bar & Restaurant

(aplmac, is this the same one you suggested?) ===> Back then..

Had lunch at Bonito about a month or two ago.

Wasn't impressed. Their food used to be better..

Not bad -but not great either.

Don't order their Flying Fish sandwich - decidedly uninspiring!

Had lunch at Bonito about a month or two ago.

Wasn't impressed. Their food used to be better..

Not bad -but not great either.

Don't order their Flying Fish sandwich - decidedly uninspiring!

Thanks! What about The Tides?

Thanks! What about The Tides?

The Tides is one of the best rated restaurants in Barbados. It is on the west coast just past sunset crest, 25min drive from the port. It's a great restaurant, fantastic food and there is also an art gallery in the restaurant. The best dirty martini i ever had was at tides.

We had dinner in Tides last April, the food and service were great, a little on the expensive side but well worth it.I'd deffinately recommend it get a seat near the ocean the view by night was fabulous. Another good place for food was the resturant at the House both food and service were good not quite as expensive as Tides.

Enjoy your visit Barbados is a special place we can't wait to return in March.

Don't "get" much in the way of local food apart from Rotis & fishcakes, most local food is historically just filling cheap stuff that people wouldn't eat if they didn't have to. BUT Edgewater Bajan buffet if it's still going, has Atlantis reopened? they used to do one, puddin' & Souse up at Lemon Arbour..Saturday? Marshall's up at Holders, Groot's, various South coast places. But if you want the best place for lunch that is personal choice, I would say Roundhouse, Tides, or Crane hotel & send the day there.

... has Atlantis reopened?
Atlantis has re-opened!

They've spent a million bucks on the place, and it's now much nicer than before.

Atl_Pool.JPG

They've added a pool and resurfaced the car park entirely

the dining room is now expanded out to the edge of what used to be a windy open gallery

but the views remain the same!

Atl_View-002.jpg

Atlantis is a good place to stop for lunch on your island tour,

after doing St.Johns Church and all that other stuff..

Archived