What to bring to Alaska in August???

I'm going to Alaska in August and I'm wondering what type of clothing to bring? winter?

Thanks

From everything I have read it is a layering process. I am also going in August and depending on the weather for the day we intend to start with either a t-shirt (long sleeve for really cold or short sleeve for milder weather), then add a jacket, gloves and hat if necessary. I intend to carry something to put the top clothes in if we need to shed a layer.

We went to Alaska in June and for the most part it was cold, rainy, but not all the time and mostly in low to high 50's. We took a medium jacket and some long sleeve shirts and jeans. They will have jackets,gloves and hats to buy on the ship, (which I took advantage of). But safe bet is layers that you can put on and take off.

I have NO idea what to pack either!

We will arrive in Fairbanks on July 31st for a 4-day land tour prior to our sailing from Seward on August 4th. This will be our second Alaskan cruise, first doing a land tour.

The first cruise was in mid-June, 2007. Weather was sunny most days but chilly. We wore jeans, long sleeve shirts and hoodies.

Our neighbors just got back from their Alaskan cruise, Seattle round trip. They said the weather wasn't that bad.....warm one day, cool the next. They did NOT pack hats and gloves.

I'm going to wait until late next week to start packing. I'll pay closer to the weather and decide from there :p

Karen

Cruised southbound on Radiance in late May/early June 2002. We had clear skies and 80+ degree temps for six out of the seven days.

In short, Alaska weather is unpredictable. Check the forecast a week prior to sailing and plan accordingly.

Our last cruise to alaska was a couple of years ago and I never even wore the jacket i brought and we wore shorts and jeans. We were really lucky we had no rain our entire cruise. just a tip watch for whales before entering tracy arm if that is included in your itinerary. Our alaska cruises remain our favorites. Have a great trip. :)

We went in August 2015, and it was cold and rainy in each port. Definitely bring hats, gloves, and a jacket.

Our sea days were surprisingly mild. My husband ended up in the pool one day, and there were even people sunbathing at times.

Aside from clothes, binoculars are a must. You can see some great wildlife from the ship, and they come in handy when in Glacier Bay.

It's a great time! We can't wait to go back!

With the question relating to clothing and the responses we will never be going there, almost as bad as us leaving Florida to go visit family and friends in Pennsylvania in the winter months.

Well this is a bad move IMHO....Alaska is fabulous and you are really depriving yourself if you don't "brave" it:cool:

Both our cruises were the last cruise of the season (first week in September) and you couldn't have asked for better weather either time...people in Ketchikan were out painting their houses in shorts!

2my8epf.jpg

In fact the only place we needed layers was at the glacier. A pair of the stretchie knit gloves are sufficient.

The only place I wore an outer wear garment was the glacier.

I didn't wear shorts, but stayed in my stretch denims mostly with a simple tshirt...even on our balcony:

67jci1.jpg

If you go earlier in the season, you may need more though, you never know....already planning our 3rd trip and will also go either that week or the week before again.

Edited by BecciBoo

Thank you for the photos becciboo, it does give a good idea of what to bring

Don't let the photos fool you. As suggested take layers and a waterproof outer garment of some kind. We went in September and I couldn't put on enough the day we cruised glacier bay. At other ports it was mostly long sleeve shirts and a vest. We had very little rain and pretty comfortable temps. However, our friends on the cruise the week after us got rained on everyday.

As they say, "better to have it and not need it."

In any event, it will be the most awesome cruise you will ever take.

With the question relating to clothing and the responses we will never be going there, almost as bad as us leaving Florida to go visit family and friends in Pennsylvania in the winter months.

Layers are for just in case.

On our late August Alaska cruise we had days at 80 degrees and days at 50 and the glacier day was soooo cold sailing up to it while standing on the bow.

Layers are for just in case.

On our late August Alaska cruise we had days at 80 degrees and days at 50 and the glacier day was soooo cold sailing up to it while standing on the bow.

80 degrees...not likely. If it hit 80 in August it was a record high! Low to mid-60 highs at best more accurate..

In Ketchikan, the month of August is characterized by gradually falling daily high temperatures, with daily highs decreasing by 4°F, from 65°F to 61°F over the course of the month, and rarely exceeding 72°F or dropping below 56°F. The highest daily average high temperature is 65°F on August 1.

Ketchikan Alaska weather is one of the rainiest places in North America. It's located in the heart of the Tongass National Forest – the largest rainforest in North America....so to enjoy your cruise just know you will get rain (Ketchikan get 160 inches of rain a year)!

My husband leaves Saturday for a fishing trip in AK and he is taking layers and rain gear! Realistic preparation for an Alaskan cruise will enhance your enjoyment of the trip. But if you go expecting 75-80 degree weather with sunny skies you will likely be disappointed. AK isn't the Caribbean but it is an incredibly beautiful place!

My brother just texted me a photo of him standing in front of the Red Dog. People are wearing rain gear, carrying umbrellas, and the streets look wet. I don't see any heavy clothing but lots of rain gear.

Ketchikan the rain gauge is in feet rather than inches if that tells you anything.

When in August and where you are visiting makes a big difference. The later in the month the more cool/cold temps and more rain.

We took the last northbound cruise from Vancouver to Seward in 2012 [August 31]. I swam in the outdoor pool the day we boarded in Vancouver. We all had on shorts or capris pants.

We had a sunny day in Ketchikan [rare in late August] and wore sweaters in the AM and long sleeve t-shirt in the PM. It began raining as we left the port.

Juneau was rainy and cool [sweatshirts or rain jacket weather] but not cold. Cooler at Mendenhall [sp?] glacier

However, we went whale watching in Icy Strait and it was cold/misty on the water. Used gloves,small parka and a head wrap. It was much colder than on land.

Approaching the glacier it was pouring rain and ice cold. We cruised the glacier in the morning. I had on everything I had with me and I was still cold.

We did a land tour after the cruise. The farther north we went the temps dropped [except Anchorage] . Seward was cool and rainy.

Anchorage was sunny and pleasant. We had on pants and long sleeve T-shirts. We saw people wearing shorts and summer crop tops. They thought it was so nice. People kept saying what a beautiful day it was. :rolleyes:

By Denali it was getting cold. There was termination dust on the mountains. [what they call the powdered sugar like coating of snow on the mountains before winter sets in.] It began snowing at mid day during our Tundra Wilderness tour. The day we left Denali it snowed hard enough to close the park road.

I took a small water proof parka with a hood, gloves and bought a sweatshirt and head wrap.

The positives of going that late are the fall colors, the snow on the mountains, less crowds, and all of the things in the stores were dirt cheap.

Have a great cruise. Alaska is still one of my top three favorite cruises.

Of course you can never predict the weather. . . . but, I was glad I was prepared.