Advice on Car Service from EWR to Cape Liberty and car seat requirements

RBPR

Did some research myself, but only see conflicting information. Hope someone can shed some light on this!

I will require transportation from EWR to Cape Liberty and back with 2 kids- 2 and 7 years old, thinking of taking taxi. I would like to know if car seat is required. Any other options aside from taxi?

I checked with Uber, they advise me to bring the car seats with me which I try to avoid if possible.

Thanks in advance!

I can't really answer your question, but let's get some more details about your plans. Are you flying in the day of the cruise and grabbing a cab to the port or are you staying in an EWR hotel and need to get to the port? What exact date are you doing this? How many people?

My understanding is that you are supposed to have a car seat. However, some types of larger vehicles are exempt from this rule.

I stand corrected that they do provide, I would call Dial7 to ask & confirm, as I don't ever recall Carmel's fleet showed up for our ride/trip pickup with one stored for use, just in case ... it takes up valuable storage/luggage space. Their FAQ said otherwise:

If your child is under the age of 7, legally your child must be in a car seat. All passengers must provide their own car seats. Carmel does not provide car seats.

Some of the fleet minivans used - possibly have integrated child safety/booster seats - and, might be functional & safe to use. Not a given nor should be taken for granted.

DMV regulations on mandatory use of car & booster seats are different in NJ. Here in NY, FHV are exempt but one travel without safety protection at one's own risk (For Hired Vehicles) and I strongly advised against ... understood the challenges & difficulties of traveling with them.

I stand corrected that they do provide, I would call Dial7 to ask & confirm, as I don't ever recall Carmel's fleet showed up for our ride/trip pickup with one stored for use, just in case ... it takes up valuable storage/luggage space. Their FAQ said otherwise:

If your child is under the age of 7, legally your child must be in a car seat. All passengers must provide their own car seats. Carmel does not provide car seats.

Some of the fleet minivans used - possibly have integrated child safety/booster seats - and, might be functional & safe to use. Not a given nor should be taken for granted.

DMV regulations on mandatory use of car & booster seats are different in NJ. Here in NY, FHV are exempt but one travel without safety protection at one's own risk (For Hired Vehicles) and I strongly advised against ... understood the challenges & difficulties of traveling with them.

I believe they both do but you must ask for one during the booking process..their not just going to show up with one just in case...it has to be requested...at least that's my understanding...OP should call them directly to confirm....as website information has a way of changing without current updates.

From Carmel Limo FAQ: https://www.carmellimo.com/Faq.shtml

Do I have to bring a car seat for my child?

From Dial 7: https://help.dial7.com/hc/en-us/articles/205361177-Child-and-Booster-Seats

You may bring your own car seat(s) to install and book any vehicle that can accommodate the number of passengers, including the child/children, and luggage on your reservation.

If you would like Dial 7 to provide a child seat, you would be restricted to booking either a Select 7 Town Car or SUV to come equipped with a convertible child seat, which may not be appropriate for all children.

Note:

• Only 1 car seat can be provided per vehicle by Dial 7
  • Children under the age of seven are permitted to sit on an adult's lap.

Please keep in mind the following state laws concerning child seats as you consider booking your reservation:

New York

Passengers in for-hire vehicles are exempt from laws regarding car seats and seat belts. Keep in mind, the TLC encourages everyone in the vehicle to buckle their seat belts while riding in a cab. Passengers with children are encouraged to bring their own car seats, which the drivers must allow passengers to install.

New Jersey

There are no exemption for passengers in for-hire vehicles. All children under the age of 8-years old must ride in a child seat unless prohibited for medical reasons.

From Carmel Limo FAQ: https://www.carmellimo.com/Faq.shtml

Do I have to bring a car seat for my child?

From Dial 7: https://help.dial7.com/hc/en-us/articles/205361177-Child-and-Booster-Seats

You may bring your own car seat(s) to install and book any vehicle that can accommodate the number of passengers, including the child/children, and luggage on your reservation.

If you would like Dial 7 to provide a child seat, you would be restricted to booking either a Select 7 Town Car or SUV to come equipped with a convertible child seat, which may not be appropriate for all children.

Note:

• Only 1 car seat can be provided per vehicle by Dial 7
  • Children under the age of seven are permitted to sit on an adult's lap.

Please keep in mind the following state laws concerning child seats as you consider booking your reservation:

New York

Passengers in for-hire vehicles are exempt from laws regarding car seats and seat belts. Keep in mind, the TLC encourages everyone in the vehicle to buckle their seat belts while riding in a cab. Passengers with children are encouraged to bring their own car seats, which the drivers must allow passengers to install.

New Jersey

There are no exemption for passengers in for-hire vehicles. All children under the age of 8-years old must ride in a child seat unless prohibited for medical reasons.

"Children under the age of 7 are permitted to sit in an adults lap" :eek:

It would be nice to hear back from the OP. This is strictly a NJ issue. What I was thinking is that if the OP picks a hotel that offers hotel shuttle or bus service to Cape Liberty, car seats would not be a legal issue. RCL transfers would also be an option.

Sorry, just realized there were many responses. Somehow I did not receive any notifications.

Anyway, my cruise date is May 6 and all 4 of us will be arrived in the morning at EWR. Based on the response, I should contact dial 7 to make an arrangement with them. Since my elder daughter is now 7, i guess only 1 car seat is needed for my 2 years old.

Thank you everyone for their replies and help!!!

Oops!

New Jersey

Look like I still need to bring a booster for my 7 years old.

Oops!

New Jersey

Look like I still need to bring a booster for my 7 years old.

Talk with Dial 7 about the options they will provide for both of your little's.

Edited by Ashland

Another question, can I book now for my return trip without knowing the exact time? Thanks in advance once again!

I always book the return at the same time...the company will give you a suggested time frame based on your return flight....then a number to call as you leave the ship...don't worry this will work out easier than you think.