Airfare just went down!!

helene109

Do you just call them to get it refunded for the difference?

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forums mobile app

You can call them but we just do it online by changing the booking (no fees). The price difference is then treated as a Travel Fund that can be applied for future booking (only) within one year from initial booking (not date of changed booking).

Some times 30 days out that happens.

Or 29 days. Or 31 days. Or 50 days. Or whatever.

There is no set time when fare adjustments may occur. Airline pricing, even on Southwest, is a function of supply and demand as determined by the yield managment algorithms processed by the airline's computer systems.

To think that specific time frames determine price changes is to not have any knowledge of airline pricing mechanisms.

But, if you think so....go ahead.

I don't think that I could wait to purchase my 30 days out but I am glad it went down, wonder if that means the plane won't be full?

Highly unlikely. When fares drop, it seldom means the flight is in danger of running half full; it just means that bookings are not quite where the airline would like them to be, this many days out. If demand picks up, and it may well do so quickly at the lower fares, you're apt to see prices go right back up. Also, there are a significant number of business travelers who seldom book anything further out than a few weeks, and often even less than that.

We live in Canada. Don't know what is going on with the airlines but we are seeing some of the lowest international air fare pricing that we have ever seen. We often book NA and international 30-50 days out, sometime much less. We are very flexible which make cherry picking fares much easier. In the past we have not found much difference between this and 3-6 months out. We do late booking cruises hence we like to keep our travel options open.

Just last week we saw a $399 CAD fare from Vancouver-Beijing. On two carriers, including AC. We have seem Europe flights for as low as $650 CAD. We recently booked an open jaw to SE Asia for $700 CAD. Just checked, it is now down to $670 CAD, probably due to currency.

Not certain if these prices are due to low fuel prices, low demand, or an increase in capacity. Just wish we were able to travel this Sept/Oct in order to take advantage of it. Preliminary stats here are indicating that the proportion of Canadian travel dollars going overseas has increased significantly this past year.