The Alaskan jackets

lk2fly

• 1 month later...

Are these worth buying now and having them shipped? My cruise isn't until August and Ketchikan is our last stop. It would be nice to have the jacket to use on the cruise. I'm debating ordering some as souvenirs and having them shipped instead of trying to pack them on the plane.

Are these worth buying now and having them shipped? My cruise isn't until August and Ketchikan is our last stop. It would be nice to have the jacket to use on the cruise. I'm debating ordering some as souvenirs and having them shipped instead of trying to pack them on the plane.

As the owner of a number of these jackets, I like the idea of outfitting everyone with these jackets when they board the cruise.

Pretty sure we saw these jackets or very similar and at same price at almost every port on our cruise in mid-May (some embroidered with name of port and others that said Alaska). I did buy mine at our first stop in Ketchikan and if I never wear it again I got my money's worth. Kept me warm enough for walking around the ports and on a couple of days was a bit much if I had layers on underneath. Can't vouch that it's waterproof, but kept me dry on the rainy days. Nice to have the hood (it zips off) in the rain. The zipped pockets were handy when I didn't want to carry a purse - large enough for my small wallet or cell phone.

I was just on the website, and they have many colors, for men and women. I'm seriously considering them because one of our tours is the Deadliest Catch. I know it will be wet and cold. :)

Patti

The Deadliest Catch boat has very warm/water proof poncho-type things for anyone who needs something warm. They have a fur lining and are heavy and very warm.

We are doing the land portion before the cruise, beginning in Fairbanks. Are these jackets for sail anywhere near the princess hotel?

We're just back from a land/cruise tour starting in Fairbanks. All the Princess Lodges we stayed in had these jackets for $29.99. I heard a gift shop employee tell someone they sold over 500 jackets the prior week. They go fast! The largest quantity seemed to be at the Denali Princess. Saw them on lots of people, male and female. They're warm enough but don't add a lot of weight to your luggage and "squish" down to take up minimal room. We bought ours 6 yrs ago on first AK visit, love them. Also come out of washer and dryer in great shape.

Last week June 6th at the Tongus Trading Post in Ketchikan they had racks of clearance jackets for $14.99 and the usual $19.99 jackets, they were just outside the front door. If I needed a jacket I would have scored a $14.99 jacket they looked pretty nice, even said "Alaska" on the front

I ordered one for myself a few days ago when I saw this post. Ketchikan is our first port, so theoretically, I could've waited til we got there, but I was too excited. I'll see how it fits and then likely order my husband one or get his when we get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I ordered one for myself a few days ago when I saw this post. Ketchikan is our first port, so theoretically, I could've waited til we got there, but I was too excited. I'll see how it fits and then likely order my husband one or get his when we get there.

If the jacket doesn't fit -- you can probably return it when in Ketchikan. They are unisex jackets so the sizing is a bit odd.

They have thousands of those jackets. :D Wait till you get there.

They sell them in every tourist location with different local logos or just "Alaska." The prices range from $20 to $30; never higher. Just buy them at your first stop.

Just received my jacket I ordered. This jacket is seriously nice! Well worth $19.99 plus $10 shipping. It's got a great fleece inside and is fully reversible and even has "Alaska" printed on the inside fleece part so it shows when you reverse it. It's heavier than the Columbia rain jacket I bought so I'll be using this jacket on colder days most likely.

Is there a place to buy these in Juneau?

Yes, many stores in Juneau have them. Any typical souvenir store (and there are dozens) sell these jackets and it seems they are the same price in every store in one location.

Just received my jacket I ordered. This jacket is seriously nice! Well worth $19.99 plus $10 shipping. It's got a great fleece inside and is fully reversible and even has "Alaska" printed on the inside fleece part so it shows when you reverse it. It's heavier than the Columbia rain jacket I bought so I'll be using this jacket on colder days most likely.

We, too, just received our jackets. My husband and I cannot believe how nice they are and plan to buy one or two more when we get to Alaska for gifts.

How did you both find the sizing?