Cruising on a debit card?

rocketlegs

Granted I have only been on 3 cruises, but have used a combo of cash and debit card for all. I normally open a cash account with $500 then pay for what is left over at the end with my debit card. I have never had any trouble with doing our account this way.

My DH and I have been working diligently to pay off our credit card debt, and as such we have NO credit cards - nor do we WANT credit cards. We opened a second joint bank account, and when we travel, we move our vacation funds to that account and use that debit card plus cash. This keeps our regular finances safe and allows us to know exactly what we have left to spend.

FYI, cruise lines don't accept those pre-paid cards also known as gift cards. Whatever card you use must have your name embossed on it.

One exception I am aware of, DCL will accept Disney gift cards.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Or call your bank like BOA they will not put any holds on your account if you call them and tell them were you are traveling.

Are you kidding? Why would knowing where you are travelling make any bank fail to honor holds put on your account by a cruise line. The line only accepts debit cards precisely because they are able to put a hold.

HAL is one of the cruise lines that tells you up front how much of a hold they will place on your account - $60 per day per person ($30 for longer cruises - not sure what length qualifies).

I love the folks who will say their bank doesn't place holds on their account because it doesn't show when they look at their account on-line. Just because it isn't a line-item doesn't mean it isn't there. Although lots of banks - and credit cards too - are getting better about transactions being transparent when you look at your account.

Of course, that $60 per person per day is calculated to cover anticipated future onboard expenses. If on your first several days you run up large charges, they will put a hold on additional funds. That $60 per day is the minimum hold they place.

Posters who report having used debit cards with no problem simply had sufficient balances in their accounts to never notice the holds placed, and were fortunate enough to have had the holds removed before they put through any major charges to their accounts.

Or call your bank like BOA they will not put any holds on your account if you call them and tell them were you are traveling.

You are confusing two issues. This thread is about putting a hold, or reserving money, on your bank account to pay for your expenses on board. Hotels do this all the time as well to cover your room and incidentals. In this case the ship will tell the bank that they want to "reserve" X amount of money per day. So if it's $100 a day for two that means $700 is held on your bank account. The money is not released back to your account just because the account was paid.

The other issue is contacting your credit card merchant and telling them you are traveling so they don't cancel your card when you try to make a purchase from someplace where you've never been. This is to help stop theft. I have one cc that puts holds on my account all the time even when I'm at home. I occasionally shop at a restaurant supply store (where you have to actually own a restaurant). Each and every time I shop there Barclays denies the charge because it's an unusual store. Heck I once went to AT&T, ToysRUs, Best Buy and Bevmo all within an hour. They put a hold on my account for that because of the types of store and charges so close together!

You are confusing two issues. This thread is about putting a hold, or reserving money, on your bank account to pay for your expenses on board. Hotels do this all the time as well to cover your room and incidentals. In this case the ship will tell the bank that they want to "reserve" X amount of money per day. So if it's $100 a day for two that means $700 is held on your bank account. The money is not released back to your account just because the account was paid.

The other issue is contacting your credit card merchant and telling them you are traveling so they don't cancel your card when you try to make a purchase from someplace where you've never been. This is to help stop theft. I have one cc that puts holds on my account all the time even when I'm at home. I occasionally shop at a restaurant supply store (where you have to actually own a restaurant). Each and every time I shop there Barclays denies the charge because it's an unusual store. Heck I once went to AT&T, ToysRUs, Best Buy and Bevmo all within an hour. They put a hold on my account for that because of the types of store and charges so close together!

I have the same problem with Chase. If I shop at the Florida Mall, no problem. A mile away at the outlets, zap--every time!--they freeze my account until I call their fraud department to verify the purchases.

I have the same problem with Chase. If I shop at the Florida Mall, no problem. A mile away at the outlets, zap--every time!--they freeze my account until I call their fraud department to verify the purchases.

There's such a thing as being too much of a "mother hen". :eek: I always call our credit card companies to let them know we're traveling and where - and always get a "thank you for letting us know". So far I haven't had any problems. I usually only use credit cards for our shipboard account and usually hotels before and after - I take cash for port spending. Much easier than worrying about what might happen with debit cards.

There's such a thing as being too much of a "mother hen". :eek: I always call our credit card companies to let them know we're traveling and where - and always get a "thank you for letting us know". So far I haven't had any problems. I usually only use credit cards for our shipboard account and usually hotels before and after - I take cash for port spending. Much easier than worrying about what might happen with debit cards.

I've had the ship tell me my credit card isn't good either. They said they would have to call but then last night I was told they weren't able to get through to to give them another credit card. I told them it had been 3 days since they couldn't clear my card and it was the only one I had so I guess they need to try harder to get through. Amazingly, after that they got it cleared. On that particular cruise I had tried to buy something in Bora Bora and it was refused so it was the credit card that cut me off.

I used that card at Target. I'm good with them checking LOL.

Edited by notentirelynormal

I know this is a bit off topic but I just got this email from Barclays - my hard to please credit card. Somehow I knew they'd take care of it LOL. In some cases Big Brother watching is a good thing.

As a result of the recent breach at Target stores, Barclaycard's security team has determined that the best course of action is to reissue your credit card with a new account number to prevent fraudulent use of your account information in the future. Be assured that you are not responsible for any unauthorized purchases made with your account.

You'll receive a new credit card in the next 2 weeks. We're sending you a letter with more details shortly. In the meantime, your current card will remain open for use for the next 25 days, until you receive your replacement. Please use your card with confidence, knowing you are not liable for unauthorized transactions you report to us in a timely manner. Any rewards you've earned will be transferred automatically to your new account.

Edited by notentirelynormal

I know this is a bit off topic but I just got this email from Barclays - my hard to please credit card. Somehow I knew they'd take care of it LOL. In some cases Big Brother watching is a good thing.

As a result of the recent breach at Target stores, Barclaycard's security team has determined that the best course of action is to reissue your credit card with a new account number to prevent fraudulent use of your account information in the future. Be assured that you are not responsible for any unauthorized purchases made with your account.

You'll receive a new credit card in the next 2 weeks. We're sending you a letter with more details shortly. In the meantime, your current card will remain open for use for the next 25 days, until you receive your replacement. Please use your card with confidence, knowing you are not liable for unauthorized transactions you report to us in a timely manner. Any rewards you've earned will be transferred automatically to your new account.

We have two Barclays issued cards but haven't gotten any notification. Maybe because we don't shop at Target much (Kohl's and Publix are only a mile away while Target is four miles and a pain to get in and out of) and likely didn't use a Barclay's card there in the past year or more?

• 3 years later...

My bank credit charge charges 3percent in any international charges . So that's why I'm not using mine!

The ship will want to put a hold on a sufficient amount in your account to be sure of having all your on-board expenses covered. And very often it can take several days after the cruise to have the hold released.

It is hard to understand why anyone would rather use a debit card than a credit card - many credit cards give "points" or some reward, and you have the use of the funds until the payment date once you are billed. If you are able to pay direct from your bank account, you are certainly able to pay in full upon being billed.

I got a call from my bank that someone was trying to use my debit card to buy $300 worth of booze in Brooklyn, NY ( I live in NC). Then they went somewhere else and tried to buy $200 worth of booze. But, they didn't have my password. I was then told someone tried to use it in Indiana and someone else in Alabama, So, I got rid of my debit card.

I got a new credit card and use it as I had my debit card. I pay it off each month with the $$$ from my old debit card bank. I keep a zero balance on my card and the really helps my credit score.

However, we use a different credit card for cruises.

When someone uses your debit card, money is taken from your account and you lose that money, bank doesn't give it back to you. If it is taken from a credit card, the bank repays it to you. So that's another reason not to use a debit card!

My bank credit charge charges 3percent in any international charges . So that's why I'm not using mine!

What bank are you talking about? If you are a US resident paying cruise charges billed in US $, they are not "international charges". We are talking about covering shipboard charges on this thread - not spending ashore.

I have a pre-loadable money card from my bank that is not attached to my checking account.

I use this for booking private excursions in another country, shopping online or any other charges where I might worry about a debit or credit card getting compromised.

I have not had one single problem using it...

I have a pre-loadable money card from my bank that is not attached to my checking account.

I use this for booking private excursions in another country, shopping online or any other charges where I might worry about a debit or credit card getting compromised.

I have not had one single problem using it...

Of course, if you did have "a single problem", using either a credit card or your "pre-loadable money card" (whatever that is) -- your credit card issuer would be far more likely to assist than would whoever it is who processes the "money card". I suggest you carefully read the agreements governing both types of card.

When someone uses your debit card, money is taken from your account and you lose that money, bank doesn't give it back to you. If it is taken from a credit card, the bank repays it to you. So that's another reason not to use a debit card!

That's not true. Most debit cards these days are backed by visa, MasterCard, etc. we haven't had a credit card in our 11 years of marriage and we've had multiple fraud issues with our debit cards. Usually our bank catches it first and asks if we made those purchases but whoever initiates it, they put the money back in our account immediately. Then they start an investigation and if it's proven we didn't make the purchases we are done. If they proved we did use it they would remove the funds.