Princess@sea messenger

dne698

Has anyone been on the Regal Princess recently who utilized the Princess @ sea messenger and can provide info on how to access, and how it works? Do you need to purchase internet minutes in order to use it, and are you charged for text messages that you send and receive between fellow passengers?

Thanks!

Has anyone been on the Regal Princess recently who utilized the Princess @ sea messenger and can provide info on how to access, and how it works? Do you need to purchase internet minutes in order to use it, and are you charged for text messages that you send and receive between fellow passengers?
I haven't used it but I've used the Intranet on the Royal. Because you're using the ship's Intranet, not Internet, there's no charge to either use it or send texts.

I haven't used it but I've used the Intranet on the Royal. Because you're using the ship's Intranet, not Internet, there's no charge to either use it or send texts.

If you are using the ship's intranet, do you still get a charge from your cell phone provider when you send a text ?

If you are using the ship's intranet, do you still get a charge from your cell phone provider when you send a text ?
You are not using the ship's Internet if you're accessing Princess@Sea and Messenger. You're using the ship's Intranet. This is the ship's local area network/WiFi system, similar but much bigger than your home WiFI system where you can print wirelessly, share documents, etc. with others in your household. Using the Princess Messenger doesn't use cell nor does it use the Internet; it doesn't leave the ship as it's using the ship's own WiFi system.

You are not using the ship's Internet if you're accessing Princess@Sea and Messenger. You're using the ship's Intranet. This is the ship's local area network/WiFi system, similar but much bigger than your home WiFI system where you can print wirelessly, share documents, etc. with others in your household. Using the Princess Messenger doesn't use cell nor does it use the Internet; it doesn't leave the ship as it's using the ship's own WiFi system.

Thanks for the info Pam! Just to clarify, you can use the ships WiFi for free?

Thanks for the info Pam! Just to clarify, you can use the ships WiFi for free?
Yes. For everything except the Internet. Here's a screenshot of the Princess@Sea options. It doesn't include Messenger since it wasn't available yet. You just log into the ship's WiFi. You can see the events and activities, itinerary, dining options, deck plans... even your folio. No charge unless you select "Internet" and go through another log-in. You won't accidentally go to the Internet.

cbb95ecd4e025d171aa283b18d574b58.jpg

Yes- just on Regal last week - all three of us used Messenger -

we have I-phones and a Samsung Galaxy phone

it is free --- turn phone on Airplane Mode

then turn on your Wi-Fi

then go to your internet app (Safari on I-phone) and you go to

regalprincess.com - a screen will prompt you to register using

information on your cruise card

then you can follow prompts to add contacts

then message away for free

what you need to understand is this is done through the Regal Princess Intranet, so it isn't like your typical text message - your phone won't alert you to a message - you have to open your internet app (Safari) to view them

the messages that are sent are immediate, however until the person opens their internet app and looks, they will not see the message. We agreed that we would all check our phones at certain times to make sure we were up to date - I used it mainly to keep track of my 15yr old whereabouts later in the evening.

Hope this helps, we liked it and used it quite a bit

Yes- just on Regal last week - all three of us used Messenger -

we have I-phones and a Samsung Galaxy phone

it is free --- turn phone on Airplane Mode

then turn on your Wi-Fi

then go to your internet app (Safari on I-phone) and you go to

regalprincess.com - a screen will prompt you to register using

information on your cruise card

then you can follow prompts to add contacts

then message away for free

what you need to understand is this is done through the Regal Princess Intranet, so it isn't like your typical text message - your phone won't alert you to a message - you have to open your internet app (Safari) to view them

the messages that are sent are immediate, however until the person opens their internet app and looks, they will not see the message. We agreed that we would all check our phones at certain times to make sure we were up to date - I used it mainly to keep track of my 15yr old whereabouts later in the evening.

Hope this helps, we liked it and used it quite a bit

Thanks so much for the info!! This is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks so Much! Very helpful!

This is really misleading.

Text messages (when one means sending SMS) are not free.

I think that is what most people in the US think of when one

write 'sends texts'.

Edited by pablo222

This is really misleading.

Text messages (when one means sending SMS) are not free.

I think that is what most people in the US think of when one

write 'sends texts'.

I think Pam explained it quite well. You are using the ship's wifi to access the ship's intranet and can send texts for free to others on the ship that are also using the app; nothing goes beyond the ship.

SMS texts messages are related to mobile phones; Apple's iMessage may look like SMS text but actually uses a different technology that SMS.

Edited by Boytjie

SMS texts messages are related to mobile phones; Apple's iMessage may look like SMS text but actually uses a different technology that SMS.

People are using their mobile phones to send the messages being

discussed.

I think to say 'sending texts is free' is quite misleading.

I think saying "sending messages", or "messaging" would be

a lot less likely to make people think they can send SMS for free.

I think to most americans, 'texting' has a specific meaning

-- different than messaging.

I don't think we need to argue -- I'm sure that before long there

will be plenty of posts here by people who were attempting to

use the onboard messaging, and ended up with cell phone charges

when they got home.

We can just wait and see...

Edited by pablo222

You get the app when you hook up to the onboard wifi. It is very nice to be able to see all the information about the shows etc. The message feature was not available on the Royal last week.

It's not really an "app" but a feature available on the Regal's (and supposedly Royal's) home page for free using the on-board wi-fi

Feature--just like an app. It has an icon--just like an app. Whatever you want to call it I enjoyed having this feature on my phone. Yes it was definitely on the Royal this past week.

Edited by ldoc31

• 5 months later...

Perfect! I was wondering if it would work in "airplane mode", as we always set our iPhones to that setting when we travel.

We also usually turn off "cellular data" just to make sure the kids aren't sending and receiving anything that would rack up our bill.

I wonder if this app can still be used with "cellular data" turned off!?? anyone know?

Thanks and happy sailing all!

People are using their mobile phones to send the messages being

discussed.

I think to say 'sending texts is free' is quite misleading.

I think saying "sending messages", or "messaging" would be

a lot less likely to make people think they can send SMS for free.

I think to most americans, 'texting' has a specific meaning

-- different than messaging.

I don't think we need to argue -- I'm sure that before long there

will be plenty of posts here by people who were attempting to

use the onboard messaging, and ended up with cell phone charges

when they got home.

We can just wait and see...

As time goes forward and more pax experience the messaging (not texting with SMS) we will hear more including those who get confused and either sue SMS or just turn the airplane mode off.