What if I tread on a child

As you may be able to make out Mrs. Tango and I are avid dancers, but I have a bit of a gripe and wonder what the general consensus is on the following subject.

I can understand people wanting to have there children up with them at night, but please keep them off the dance floor when "proper" dancing is on. Children have all the time they need in the kids club, but adults need adult time in the evenings. Why do mummy and very often daddy place there little darlings in the centre of the dance floor and expect everyone to avoid them. It's not safe to put a baby on a hard dance floor, it's hard enough to miss people shuffling about never mind a baby below eye sight.

We have seen babies, kids spinning, children climbing on stage when the band is on and sliding about and even push chairs. I don't go to the kids club to spoil their enjoyment, and I don't want to have them spoiling adult time. Over to you:eek:

Because some consider their children the center of the universe, as should everyone else, and think it's just oh so CUTE when they're "dancing".;)

I surely don't hate children, I love them, but there is a time and a place for them. At night on the dance floor is neither.

Parents bring their kids into where I work, and expect us employees to "babysit" while they shop and stuff, WE DON'T, we just witness them breaking everything and destroying the entire place, then corporate wonders why we didn't get ALL of our work done, because we were cleaning up and re organizing after the lil tornado that came in.

But to comment on this post, THE PARENTS THINK IT'S SOOOOO CUTE, AND THINK EVERYONE WANTS TO SEE "LIL JIMMY JR." GET FUNKY WITH EVERYONE ELSE...GUESS WHAT...WE DON'T! Send the kid to dance w/ sponge bob and draw on the walls w/ crayons.

Hi

I fully agree children should not be playing, messing about, climbing on the stage, babies and toddlers should not be crawling and toddling around the dance floor,the dance floor is not a parking bay for prams and children should be supervised by their parents.

However the flip side of this argument is that providing the children are under parental supervision, in a venue that allows children and want to dance and not mess about they are just as entitled to do so and it could be said that if you perform a dance that requires a large amount of space to do a "proper" dance you are infringing on the ability of us shufflers to enjoy our dancing time in the evenings without the worry of being knocked over.

My family and I would not dream of getting up on the dance floor if a traditional tango was being played I've got 2 left feet to start with :eek:

But if modern music is being played that you can tango to and we can also dance to we as paying customers are just as entitled to be there as yourselves

The kids do have their own areas as do the adults and in shared areas we should be respectful of each other.

regards

Damon and Family

Hi

However the flip side of this argument is that providing the children are under parental supervision, in a venue that allows children and want to dance and not mess about they are just as entitled to do so and it could be said that if you perform a dance that requires a large amount of space to do a "proper" dance you are infringing on the ability of us shufflers to enjoy our dancing time in the evenings without the worry of being knocked over.

My family and I would not dream of getting up on the dance floor if a traditional tango was being played I've got 2 left feet to start with :eek:

So shufflers are OK but people doing real tango are not :confused:

It didn't take long for this thread to OT ;)

I have no shame and I would tell the parents to get the kids off the dance floor or accept the fact that they'll get trampled.

I do understand that most people want to treat this subject more politely...

The OP did say shufflers are hard not to be bumped into.

Surely he didn't mean they should be erased as well?

Or are you all closet-shufflers and feel the need to stick up for yourselves? :D

I believe the issue is small children who are below eye level without an attending adult. The viewing area of the average person is between eye and waist level. Anything outside that range (including children, wheelchairs, dogs, cats, etc.) is not always recognized. I can't count the number of times that I have tripped over one of my cats.

I haven't seen unattended children onboard much, but I have seen it at wedding receptions. Parents will let their 2/3 yr olds run onto the dance floor while the parents sit at a table and talk, not paying any attention to junior. The parents expect the people on the dance floor to watch out for their "little angel" while they take a break. Of course, if someone steps on or trips over junior and causes him to cry, the absent mommy suddenly turns into a rabid pit bull, screaming at whoever dared to harm her precious.

If mom/dad are out dancing with junior, that is a different case.

If parents want to bring their children to a dance area but not dance with them, why not find a out-of-the-way corner of the lounge and let the child boogie there? Or else keep the kid confined to the outer edge of the dance floor and not running through the middle. The kids can still hear the music but not risk being injured while the parents can sit in nearby chairs and (supposedly) watch them.

. . .

"It's my vacation and I will do whatever I want to"

Gee, where have I heard that before?

[i like kids around and wouldn't pay a nickel extra for an adults only cruise but there are places kids don't belong and late night on the dance floor is certainly one of them]

Hi

I fully agree children should not be playing, messing about, climbing on the stage, babies and toddlers should not be crawling and toddling around the dance floor,the dance floor is not a parking bay for prams and children should be supervised by their parents.

But if modern music is being played that you can tango to and we can also dance to we as paying customers are just as entitled to be there as yourselves

The kids do have their own areas as do the adults and in shared areas we should be respectful of each other.

regards

Damon and Family

When reading the OP's post I found myself in agreement with the OP, and yes I am a parent, but agree that the dance floor is not a great place for kids. However, after reading your post, you make some great points. I really think it may depend upon the atmoshphere. THe night club is no place for kids, if dancing is taking place in a family environment and kids are old enough to dance properly they should be allowed, however under no circumstances should babies and toodlers be on the dance floor. This is dangerous for all invovled.

As you may be able to make out Mrs. Tango and I are avid dancers, but I have a bit of a gripe and wonder what the general consensus is on the following subject.

I can understand people wanting to have there children up with them at night, but please keep them off the dance floor when "proper" dancing is on. Children have all the time they need in the kids club, but adults need adult time in the evenings. Why do mummy and very often daddy place there little darlings in the centre of the dance floor and expect everyone to avoid them. It's not safe to put a baby on a hard dance floor, it's hard enough to miss people shuffling about never mind a baby below eye sight.

We have seen babies, kids spinning, children climbing on stage when the band is on and sliding about and even push chairs. I don't go to the kids club to spoil their enjoyment, and I don't want to have them spoiling adult time. Over to you:eek:

Seriously?! Who thinks about this stuff?? You want to dance go dance to your heart's content. I'm sure you will not "purposely" trample a child in your way.

Really some of the threads on this board amaze me. They are filled with so much anger and hatred towards kids, parents, smokers, drinkers, etc. Man, and I thought the disney boards were bad! :rolleyes:

Seriously?! Who thinks about this stuff?? You want to dance go dance to your heart's content. I'm sure you will not "purposely" trample a child in your way.

Really some of the threads on this board amaze me. They are filled with so much anger and hatred towards kids, parents, smokers, drinkers, etc. Man, and I thought the disney boards were bad! :rolleyes:

I did not take the OP's post as hatred, they seem like serious dancers who want to have a good time and made a good point.

Out of control kids, toodlers, and babies are a safety hazard on the dance floor, for both the dancers and themselves. I would suggest that no one (adult or child) should be on the dance floor if they are not properly dancing. I do have an 11 year old daughter who knows how to dance properly and should be able to dance in a family atmosphere, however, I would never take her into the night club, or allow her to "run wild" like the examples cited by the OP.

Yes there is some disagreement on the boards, but honestly it does keep it interesting sometimes. We all know the threads where it normally pops up and can choose to particapte or ignore it. The dancing one is a new one for me, but I do not view it as hatred.

I did not take the OP's post as hatred, they seem like serious dancers who want to have a good time and made a good point.

Out of control kids, toodlers, and babies are a safety hazard on the dance floor, for both the dancers and themselves. I would suggest that no one (adult or child) should be on the dance floor if they are not properly dancing. I do have an 11 year old daughter who knows how to dance properly and should be able to dance in a family atmosphere, however, I would never take her into the night club, or allow her to "run wild" like the examples cited by the OP.

Yes there is some disagreement on the boards, but honestly it does keep it interesting sometimes. We all know the threads where it normally pops up and can choose to particapte or ignore it. The dancing one is a new one for me, but I do not view it as hatred.

My take on the OP is this "can't ADULTS have ONE area that is JUST for adults?" Yes, RCCL is a family oriented business and yes people can/do cruise with their children but can't we have SOME PLACE at SOME TIME that is adults only? :D

Just accidentally walk through the teen lounge one day as you are going to Johnny Rockets and listen to the teens holler at you to "get out, this is not for adults, kids only, etc. etc." I respect that there are children only areas, but I believe that not ALL areas of the ship should be open to children and Boleros Night Club is one of them. Just my opinion. :p

y.

I really HATE heavy drinking, chain smoking kids.. And their fathers dressed in shorts, tank tops and caps in the main dining room, waiting for the mother of the family that doesnt speak english and show too much cleavage...

I have to agree that small children do not belong on a dance floor. I am so tired of the "I paid for it, I'm doing what I want" mentality of some posters here. The loss of manners and sensibility in many parents is just plain selfish.

What ever happened to the use of babysitters? I quickly learned when we were raising our son that my mind would turn to mush if I spent 24 hours a day seven days a week in kid-mode. Never the less, he was raised with love and respect. Parents need a break--it keeps the world in perspective, and prevents them from thinking that their kids are the center of everyone's universe. How many times have you seen a crying toddler or child dragged around Disney (or a restaurant table) well after 9:00 PM? They are crying because it's past their bedtime!!

Just saying.

Teddie

DH and I have been taking dance lessons for years. Our studio is loaded with competitive professionals and their students. Compared to them, we are the shufflers. There is one guy who used to aim for us, until I actually let him hit me. He was a little surprised that he couldn't knock me over (I'm pretty sturdy:))and hasn't done it since.

So when we go on a cruise, we have the utmost sympathy for those who simply dance in place, and DH is very good about steering around them. Most dances require more space than you find on an RCI dance floor, so our teachers have come up with "pocket" steps that don't require us to fly all over the room.

But, just as it is good manners to move to the right lane when another car wants to pass you, it's good manners not to park yourself I somebody's path on the dance floor, whether you're another dancer or a kid with inattentive parents. We try to stay out of other dancers' way and appreciate the same courtesy.

And if we're in the disco, then we flail around with the crowd. :D

Archived