Cunard Formal Nights

LoeyCruiser

My husband and I will be taking a Cunard (12 day) cruise in the Black Sea. An agent from Cunard told us that there would be FOUR formal nights. She also said that cocktail dresses are no longer acceptable for formal nights, but full length evening dresses are appropriate. Could this be true? We've never sailed with Cunard before. We will be on the Queen Elizabeth.

• 1 month later...

Hi LoeyCruiser. Here's the complete dress code copied from https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/dress_code

"During the day casual shirts, shorts, trousers and beachwear are ideal. The main restaurants require a casual wear dress code for breakfast and lunch, however you may wear shorts in either the Kings Court (Queen Mary 2) or Lido Restaurant (Queen Victoria & Queen Elizabeth). Evenings will be split into 2 different dress codes. You will be notified of the evening's dress code in your Daily Programme. As a guide, these will be:

Formal evening wear consists of an evening or cocktail dress or smart trouser suit for ladies, a tuxedo, dinner jacket or dark suit for men or you may wear formal national dress or military uniform. Military or Award decorations may be worn on formal nights. A range of gentleman's formal wear is available to hire on board. Further details on this facility can be found by clicking here.

Informal evenings would consist of a required jacket and optional tie optional for gentlemen, whilst ladies should wear cocktail dresses, stylish separates or equivalent.

Please note that after 6pm, shorts and blue or worn denim (for men and women); sandals and sleeveless tops (for men) are not considered appropriate within the ship. On formal nights, any guests wishing to dress more casually are welcome to dine in the Kings Court or Lido buffet restaurant and relax in the Winter Garden or Garden Lounge bar, but should not use other areas within the ship, including our Alternative Dining Restaurants, out of respect for their fellow guests.

Children under 18 do not have a dress code but should dress as smart as possible in relation to the above"

Bon Voyage! -S.

I love how Cunard clings to long gowns on formal nights while thinking nothing of providing a high school cafeteria environment in the Kings Court on QM2.

Salacia posted the full and official Cunard dress code suggestions. I can see no use of the word "long" there at all -- nor the use of the word "gowns"

Barry

My husband and I will be taking a Cunard (12 day) cruise in the Black Sea. An agent from Cunard told us that there would be FOUR formal nights. She also said that cocktail dresses are no longer acceptable for formal nights, but full length evening dresses are appropriate. Could this be true? We've never sailed with Cunard before. We will be on the Queen Elizabeth.

I'll give the agent the benefit of the doubt and think she must be new to Cunard.:rolleyes: Hopefully, she did not get anything else wrong!

It had to happen - the Fashion Police have infiltrated the Cunard echelon; next stop, anyone with a tattoo being told that the Grills are full, sorry, perhaps a nice cabin closer to the oars sir? :rolleyes:

It had to happen - the Fashion Police have infiltrated the Cunard echelon; next stop, anyone with a tattoo being told that the Grills are full, sorry, perhaps a nice cabin closer to the oars sir? :rolleyes:

The true situation is that there are two dress codes. There is the normal dress code posted by Salacia, and a secondary dress code that comes into force when the Fashion Police are aboard.

The Cunard agent who provided the information probably thought that Fashion Police were scheduled to be on board the OP's Black Sea cruise on QE. The correct position is that the Fashion Police are shortly to be paying special attention to the QE, but none of our operatives will be on the Black Sea 12 day cruise. Therefore the normal dress code will apply.

Hopefully this clears up the issue for the OP.

Salacia posted the full and official Cunard dress code suggestions. I can see no use of the word "long" there at all -- nor the use of the word "gowns"

Barry

It says "evening or cocktail dress". An evening dress is generally considered to be a long dress/gown. Just do a google search on evening dress (images) and have a look at all the long gowns.

Because you take such a keen, and sustained, interest in the dress code I am surprised that you didn't know this.

I am really left wondering about what are considered 'sandals' by Cunard? I am hoping that does not mean that I am required to wear completely enclosed closed-toe shoes with evening wear? I have some very nice, formal, strappy heels I would like to wear with my gowns. Beyond that, my ballroom shoes are also open toed, and those will be a staple for me for evenings, because unfortunately Supadance and International Dance Shoes do not run into my sizes, so I wear open toed Kela 'Ci sandals for competition!

ETA: And. . . I just finally caught that parenthesized (for men) in regards to the sandals. Pardon me while I wipe the egg off my face!

I am really left wondering about what are considered 'sandals' by Cunard? I am hoping that does not mean that I am required to wear completely enclosed closed-toe shoes with evening wear? I have some very nice, formal, strappy heels I would like to wear with my gowns. Beyond that, my ballroom shoes are also open toed, and those will be a staple for me for evenings, because unfortunately Supadance and International Dance Shoes do not run into my sizes, so I wear open toed Kela 'Ci sandals for competition!

I think the sleeveless tops is the bit they're referring to when they have "for men" in brackets. I think the no sandals refers to both men and women. Sandals are generally the name given to this type of shoe.

i-Fmb69GD-M.jpg

Generally, the below type of shoe is referred to as a high heel, not a sandal.

i-TQR4drH-S.jpg

It says "evening or cocktail dress". An evening dress is generally considered to be a long dress/gown. Just do a google search on evening dress (images) and have a look at all the long gowns.

Because you take such a keen, and sustained, interest in the dress code I am surprised that you didn't know this.

You assume too much -- "generally considered" - by whom??

The subject matter is "long gowns" - nowhere is there a requirememt or even a suggestion that women should/must wear long gowns. Your general considerations are yours alone.

Barry

I think the sleeveless tops is the bit they're referring to when they have "for men" in brackets. I think the no sandals refers to both men and women. Sandals are generally the name given to this type of shoe.

i-Fmb69GD-M.jpg

Generally, the below type of shoe is referred to as a high heel, not a sandal.

i-TQR4drH-S.jpg

Thank you, Whitemarsh, I was hoping that's the case. I wasn't old enough to be in heels the last time I was aboard a Cunard ship, so it wasn't exactly an issue. I wore what my mother told me to wear! My ballroom shoes are on a far lower and blockier heel than that though, so I hope it won't cause a problem.

ETA: Upon consideration of the issue, I realize, I have no intention of dancing in anything other than what I currently train in on a daily basis, and will continue train in aboard. :)

The subject matter is "long gowns" - nowhere is there a requirememt or even a suggestion that women should/must wear long gowns. Your general considerations are yours alone.

Barry

Everyone knows an evening dress is just another way of saying long gown.

Even google thinks so, as I suggested before, just do a search for 'evening dress' (images) and take a look at all the long dresses/gowns that come up.

The OP asked if it was true that women, have to wear evening dresses on formal nights. Everyone has told her no, that it's not a requirement. A couple of people referred to a long gown, which is just another way to describe an evening dress - they're the same thing.

No one (me included) on this thread has said that the OP has to wear an evening dress or long gown (same thing) on formal nights. If you believe that someone has, please quote the post in which they said this.

If you cant find such a post would you mind explaining why you keep inferring that someone has.

On a personal note, may I say how refreshing it is that a straight man, such as yourself, takes such a strong interest in debating the minutiae of ladies fashion, as it pertains to the Cunard dress code.

Here is the link to the dress code where under Formal nights it has "evening or cocktail dress" for ladies.

As I've pointed out before, evening dress and long gown are interchangeable.

Thank you, Whitemarsh, I was hoping that's the case. I wasn't old enough to be in heels the last time I was aboard a Cunard ship, so it wasn't exactly an issue. I wore what my mother told me to wear! My ballroom shoes are on a far lower and blockier heel than that though, so I hope it won't cause a problem.

ETA: Upon consideration of the issue, I realize, I have no intention of dancing in anything other than what I currently train in on a daily basis, and will continue train in aboard. :)

My pleasure, I hope you have a wonderful cruise. :)

Everyone knows an evening dress is just another way of saying long gown.

No, not everyone, I for one rely on what I see walking in to the DR for dinner, which is variable to say the least.

Cruising is supposed to be relaxing, all this malarkey would drive me mad if I cared.

David.

Barry

I think Bazz, you have a ball gown in mind rather than an evening gown. A ball gown has a full skirt and fitted bodice, whereas an "evening gown" is a term used interchangeably with "evening dress" and can be any silhouette.

I took my first crossing in 2009 and bought long gowns for the formal evenings and loved wearing them. For me formal means long gowns, I have had many opportunities to wear them again with Cunard and RCI.

Will be on board QV in November and will be taking 4 long goes for the formal evenings. Can't wait, wishing my time away for this trip to come round. Queens grill for the first time, plenty of opportunity to dress up.

Catherine

No, not everyone, I for one rely on what I see walking in to the DR for dinner, which is variable to say the least.

Cruising is supposed to be relaxing, all this malarkey would drive me mad if I cared.

David.

Thanks for taking the time to let us know that you don't care.

In all seriousness, it's not as hard as some make it out to be. A lot of people enjoy the unique opportunity to dress up and wear something different.

I took my first crossing in 2009 and bought long gowns for the formal evenings and loved wearing them. For me formal means long gowns, I have had many opportunities to wear them again with Cunard and RCI.

Will be on board QV in November and will be taking 4 long goes for the formal evenings. Can't wait, wishing my time away for this trip to come round. Queens grill for the first time, plenty of opportunity to dress up.

Catherine

I really hope you enjoy your first time in Queens Grill, you'll be amazed at how quickly you become used to the much larger suite, butler and the more extensive menu. :)

I think Bazz, you have a ball gown in mind rather than an evening gown. A ball gown has a full skirt and fitted bodice, whereas an "evening gown" is a term used interchangeably with "evening dress" and can be any silhouette.

Ball gowns are very rare, I've only seen a handful across the voyages I've taken. The ones I saw were lovely, especially the latest voyage.

Ball gowns are very rare, I've only seen a handful across the voyages I've taken. The ones I saw were lovely, especially the latest voyage.

Does this mean that ball gowns are acceptable?

Thank you, Louise, for explaining the difference between the two. I have not been sure.

So, just for interest, what category does this come into? It has a very full skirt. However, the top is separate (black cami and sheer jacket). I have never been quite sure if it's what is expected, but I continue wearing it because I love it so much.

formal.jpg.ed653f7a972e7b2c1ecded8b09ad58a7.jpg

Does this mean that ball gowns are acceptable?

Thank you, Louise, for explaining the difference between the two. I have not been sure.

So, just for interest, what category does this come into? It has a very full skirt. However, the top is separate (black cami and sheer jacket). I have never been quite sure if it's what is expected, but I continue wearing it because I love it so much.

Yes, they are acceptable on formal nights.

The outfit you're wearing looks like an evening dress to me. But it's hard to say because you're sitting down. I must say how lovely you look, so keep wearing it! :)

When I think of ball gown I think of something like this:

i-SfJxHGx-X3.jpg

this:

i-73zqHgm-L.jpg

or this.

i-HMBdJdv-L.jpg

A ball gown is an evening dress specifically made for dancing. No trains or trailing hems. A ball gown would be entirely acceptable on formal night especially if intended to go to the Queens Room for dancing after dinner. Women might not want to pack them because they usually need some stiff netted slips underneath them.

fantasy51, that outfit would be entirely acceptable but it does look like something more suited for the fall/winter seasons. On a ship I would be more inclined to follow the weather where we are sailing rather than the calendar. In order to have the most flexibility in my QM2 evening wardrobe I specifically avoid velvets (winter) or anything especially gauzy that looks like a mid summer dress.

Archived