Nice jeans on smart casual nights?

NeverCeaseToLearn

Howdy! :) I will be heading on my first cruise in June to Alaska with my DH, on the Grand Princess. We're trying to get away with packing only carry-on luggage so I'd like to stretch my clothing from port to ship as much as possible. I've got some nice, dark skinny jeans that can be dressed up with a pretty blouse or sparkly shirt, and I wear them to work (teacher) on our 'casual' days which at our school is still pretty dressy. Do you think these would work with a pretty pair of flats and a blouse, or should I try to squish some slacks into my luggage? I don't want to look underdressed. I have heard that Alaskan cruises are more casual than others but obviously I wouldn't know for sure. :) If it makes a difference, I am 22 and DH is 25 so we're probably on the young end of cruisers. Advice? :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If the jeans have no faded areas or big holes in them, I think they will work. The concept of "jeans" can get confused when the fabric is denim but the cut is trouser, for instance. I think the idea is to avoid sloppiness or "beach" attire.

Only problem is that while the nice skinny jeans will fit at the start of the cruise, they may not fit by the end of it.

lol

I wear jeans to non-formal night all the time and never had a problem. The jeans are standard Levi and while not new are in good shape.

Both my husband and I have worn nice jeans in the dinning room. No problem. But what thing that did bother me is women wearing shorts in the dinning room with heels yet a man with nice shorts will be kicked out. I do not like double standards.

You will look fine. Keep in mind jeans are heavy, and we always carry on only whenever possible. Wear your jeans for travel and pack something lighter weight, such as the slacks sunsetbeachgal suggested in your suitcase. Alaska is a wonderful place to cruise. June is a perfect time. There are many tips in the ports of call section for an Alaskan cruise. I highly recommend you check it out. If you love nature, Alaska is not to be missed:).

Edited by sasha'smom

Howdy! :) I will be heading on my first cruise in June to Alaska with my DH, on the Grand Princess. We're trying to get away with packing only carry-on luggage so I'd like to stretch my clothing from port to ship as much as possible. I've got some nice, dark skinny jeans that can be dressed up with a pretty blouse or sparkly shirt, and I wear them to work (teacher) on our 'casual' days which at our school is still pretty dressy. Do you think these would work with a pretty pair of flats and a blouse, or should I try to squish some slacks into my luggage? I don't want to look underdressed. I have heard that Alaskan cruises are more casual than others but obviously I wouldn't know for sure. :) If it makes a difference, I am 22 and DH is 25 so we're probably on the young end of cruisers. Advice? :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You will be fine. Enjoy your voyage :)

As long as the jeans aren't faded or have holes, you will be fine. Enjoy Alaska, the scenery is beautiful and you never know what you might see. As far as the wildlife goes, keep in mind they have their own schedule. Don't expect to see a lot of everything. Also, be prepared for cold, warm or wet weather. When I was there we had drizzly mornings but low 70s by mid-afternoon.

Fair Winds and Following Seas!

I find the slacks that do better for me and are more versatile are the ones from Chicos styled just like skinny jeans, but are a thicker stretch knit fabrics in dark colors.

Just looked those up, they look very nice and SO cute but there's no way I can afford to spend $80-100 on a pair of slacks haha. :) I'm a first-year teacher and my budget allows for me maybe finding something similar at Ross. ;) Thanks for the advice!

Just looked those up, they look very nice and SO cute but there's no way I can afford to spend $80-100 on a pair of slacks haha. :) I'm a first-year teacher and my budget allows for me maybe finding something similar at Ross. ;) Thanks for the advice!

Chico's has sales all of the time.. The slacks you were looking at were $29 a week ago.. check the site for sales and you might be surprised.. and just a FYI, Chico's sizing is much different than traditional sizes..

In cooler climates we tend to wear jeans last night and sometimes first too.

But what thing that did bother me is women wearing shorts in the dinning room with heels yet a man with nice shorts will be kicked out. I do not like double standards.

Maybe if the man had heels he would have been allowed in too :eek::D