Suite Location

xavier

I thought I had read something on this board that the suites located on the Riviera Deck on the Crown, Ruby, Emerald are not good ones to reserve as there is a lot of noise from above. Was I dreaming this or is this true? Thanks all for your help.

I would agree with that statement.

We were in R411 on the Ruby last year.

A fair bit of noise from above, particularly in the morning.

It wasn't terrible, but it is a factor I would consider before booking those types of cabins again.

A former regular and respected poster, Toto, had a Riviera suite and thought it was their worst experience ever. A lot of noise very early in the morning and late at night with deck cleaning, chair moving, etc. She and her husband hated it and swore never again.

We also booked one last minute because no other suites were available (windows were but I really don't consider them suites since there is no balcony) and like Toto, would never book them again. The balcony is so narrow.

Pam, have you heard from Toto? Wish she would come back.

A former regular and respected poster, Toto, had a Riviera suite and thought it was their worst experience ever. A lot of noise very early in the morning and late at night with deck cleaning, chair moving, etc. She and her husband hated it and swore never again.

Sounds like she was expressing her opinion. It doesn't mean that anyone else who has sailed in in a Rivera suite thought it was a bad experience.

If some thought that lobster tail was one of their worst eating experiences, does that mean that everyone else will think the same? I don't think so.:)

If some thought that lobster tail was one of their worst eating experiences, does that mean that everyone else will think the same? I don't think so.:)
There you go. I would never order or eat lobster tail on a ship unless it was live minutes before going into the pot and served with unsalted and clarified butter. But that's subjective taste mostly based on living in the Boston area on the ocean with fresh-caught lobster straight from the ocean always available. Power washing deck cleaning, lounger dragging and slamming down, high heels pounding, and other noise from open deck above is measurable. I've had cabins under open decks before and experienced all of these from 4am throughout the day until after midnight. Never again.

Sounds like she was expressing her opinion. It doesn't mean that anyone else who has sailed in in a Rivera suite thought it was a bad experience.

We have good friends who also book only suites and once they booked a ph suite (only ones left on the cruise) on the Rivera deck. We have discussed them many times and they also will Never book one again.

Pam,

If you talk to Toto, please tell her many of us miss her.

We have good friends who also book only suites and once they booked a ph suite (only ones left on the cruise) on the Rivera deck. We have discussed them many times and they also will Never book one again.

Pam,

If you talk to Toto, please tell her many of us miss her.

Will do.

Skittles, the only Lido suite I have stayed in was on the Grand Princess (Grand Suite-Princess Suite) and I can tell you never again, around 3am every morning we heard carts moving above the bedroom, got up and slept on the balcony a few times as just as noisy in the living room. We would hear people walking around 7am and throughout the day into evening, but that was bearable. The balcony was tiny and difficult to use. We love to dine on the balcony but found it just to difficult to move the loungers out of the way, they are heavy and we didn't want to bother our cabin steward with it. We would move chairs from the table into the living room during the day so we could use both loungers. The table inside the room was difficult to use too. Loved that the balcony was totally covered and private though. The Grand Suite on the other side may have been a better choice.

Skittles: Just so you know, these cabins are not awful. We have been in them 3 times on the Crown Princess and once on the Emerald Princess. We were never really bothered by the noise above. In the evening you could hear heals walking and sometimes heavy foot steps, but this didn't go on all night long. We never heard a lot of chairs moving around or tables being moved in the morning or the evening either. If you want to avoid most of the noise, book one of the cabins that is more under the ice cream bar.

Really if you want to avoid noise from above, the GS on the Sapphire Princess is interesting. At night you can hear the swooshing of the water in the pool above your head in the bedroom when it is rough. That is a strange feeling knowing that much water is above you. It was really a lot noisier than the foot traffic on the Riviera Deck on the other ships.

The only negative thing I can think about these cabins is the balcony. It is the same width as the other PH suites but is just very shallow.

Seadeck2: We have also been in the Grand Suite/Princess Suite on the Grand. Our friends had the other GS on the ship and they are identical. I really didn't care for that balcony at all. The so called "hot tub" took up so much room and was really worthless. We do like the GS cabins, but wouldn't do the Grand again either.

I just got off the Crown TA and had R408. I would certainly think twice about booking a Riviera suite again. You could set your clock by the 6:00 am cart that would roll overhead. We were right under the pizza and ice cream so there weren't too many tables - but you would hear the noise. In the afternoon you could hear the music from the open deck above - that could be a plus or minus depending on your musical likes or dislikes. But the biggest problem we had was with a pipe running under the bathroom floor that would shake when in rough seas. It would make so much noise you couldn't sleep. The bracket holding the pipe came looses and it would grind away. Took us a few days to get it fixed and everytime we had a day of rough seas, it would jiggle loose again. No problem in calm water. It was fixed twice in our 20 day cruise. The last day we hit a bit of rough sea and it started up again -- couldn't bother to report it AGAIN. So good luck to future occupants!

...Seadeck2: We have also been in the Grand Suite/Princess Suite on the Grand. Our friends had the other GS on the ship and they are identical. I really didn't care for that balcony at all. The so called "hot tub" took up so much room and was really worthless. We do like the GS cabins, but wouldn't do the Grand again either.

I agree with you, Susan. The balcony was VERY small on the Grand's Cat. GS. The hot tub was interesting and worth a try once. The rest of the suite is awesome - really liked it and the separate hallway to the suite (and a few Lido Deck cabins). That really cut down on hallway noise.

Archived