Say goodbye to the SS Norway!

ohioNCLcruiser

We cruised on her in, I think, '92 out of Miami. What a ship. Those four smokestacks sure made her look impressive!!

In with the new, I guess. Even the QE2 is gone - well, unless you count it being a hotel as still here!!

Our first cruise was on her as well. . .it got us hooked on cruising! It was my favorite ship so far, she had such history and grandeur. We were on the last sailing prior to the boiler explosion, and were so sad to see her go. We had some great memories on that ship.

My first cruise was also on the SS United States and it is indeed sad to see her rusting away. I also saw her about 15 or 16 years ago in Newport News, Va. It was sad seeing her then. I was a teenager when I cruised the SS United States; however, I still have alot of memories of that voyage.

My favorite cruise of all time was on the Norway May 11, 1996. What made this so memorable was one it was a family cruise but it was also an NCL sponsored 50’s/60’s cruise. For those unforgettable 7 days we got to hear performances by Little Anthony & the Imperials, Gary Lewis and the Playboys, Sam Moore (Sam & Dave), Paul Revere and the Raiders, and Dee Dee Sharp (Mashed Potatoes Time).

Shak

A great present from a radio station in 1995 in a suite which was very nice & 2 years later my girlfiend who got a graduation present from me with her first DJ job that night. She was proposed to that night on the air & I was her matron of honor. So her family bought 3 suites on Norway for the 3 couples. Champagne on our balconies which were brand new addition & when we hit a storm it was a wild ride. The balconies made the ship off keel as she sailed in waves. But now they have stabilizers.

Like losing a family member to watch folks posting photos of her dying in India.

My favorite cruise of all time was on the Norway May 11, 1996. What made this so memorable was one it was a family cruise but it was also an NCL sponsored 50’s/60’s cruise. For those unforgettable 7 days we got to hear performances by Little Anthony & the Imperials, Gary Lewis and the Playboys, Sam Moore (Sam & Dave), Paul Revere and the Raiders, and Dee Dee Sharp (Mashed Potatoes Time).

Shak

d

A great present from a radio station in 1995 in a suite which was very nice & 2 years later my girlfiend who got a graduation present from me with her first DJ job that night. She was proposed to that night on the air & I was her matron of honor. So her family bought 3 suites on Norway for the 3 couples. Champagne on our balconies which were brand new addition & when we hit a storm it was a wild ride. The balconies made the ship off keel as she sailed in waves. But now they have stabilizers.

Like losing a family member to watch folks posting photos of her dying in India.

d

The Norway had stabilizers in 1989. :confused:

PE

• 3 weeks later...

I just found this fantastic brochure of the `SS Norway scanned on a danish site. Fantastic pictures and info. It's from 1981, the prices for a 7 day cruise, with just two days in port and four at sea were $640 to $1900. That must have been very expensive at that time. But it seems to have been a first class experience.

http://www.shipsforum.dk/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3233&sid=12781b8b7f78c37f17477edb12b66580

Thanks to whoever posted the link to the Norway brochure! She was the first ship DH and I sailed on together (I had previously cruised Carnival with friends) in the 80's. We sailed on her for the last time in April 2001 right before the tragedy in Miami.

We loved the Norway and she will be missed.

Lots of interesting, and sad, pictures here.

What a sad and haunting video. We sailed on her in 1999 quite by accident. Another cruise we were supposed to take was cancelled so we were later rebooked on the Norway. We had a wonderful time and met some memorable people and the ship was a classic beauty! So sad to see her in this condition now, though.

Roxette, Thanks for finding that brochure! 1981! Boy have times changed. We sailed on her 7 times from 1997 to 2003. It is a ship that

will always live in my heart. Many think she was just an old barge, but she was truly a wonderful ship and I still wish she was here today.

Paul:)

Archived