Odyssey Veranda Suite Question

JaneBP

In the small print (p 109, 2010-11 catalogue) it says that the Veranda railings in categories V1 & V2 are part metal and part glass from floor to teak railing. Does anyone know how high the metal part is? Does it obstruct much? Other lines are more specific when this occurs. Hopefully, it's just a little bit, but I would like to know.

In the small print (p 109, 2010-11 catalogue) it says that the Veranda railings in categories V1 & V2 are part metal and part glass from floor to teak railing. Does anyone know how high the metal part is? Does it obstruct much? Other lines are more specific when this occurs. Hopefully, it's just a little bit, but I would like to know.

I hope its nothing like QM2- :(

Host Dan

I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing, I just want to know. Is it 1' from the bottom? Or 1' from the rail down? Because it might be a deal-breaker for me and a V1 or V2. I just want a straight answer from someone at Blue Lagoon who knows. Surely someone has asked this before. I doubt I am the only one who reads the small print.

I imagine that the height of the metal/glass balcony is 1.2 meters. If it's as much as half steel then you still have an unobstructed view through the glass when sitting on the balcony. This is very different from what you find on QM2's in-hull balconies which are all metal. Let's hope that the metal part is even lower.

Hi Jane,

I'm booked in a V2 suite. Shortly after I booked, I received an explanation from Seabourn stating, that they had forgot to mention ( in the original description)the partial steel outer wall on the lower portion.

They specifically noted that the steel is low enough, "that you can see over it when seated".

That's not enough information for me. I want specifics. I am really particular about being able to lie in bed and see the water, if I have a balcony suite. What if it's a meter high???On the QM2 that put me in the Princess Grill, for example.

I am short, what if I can't easily see the water? I think I shall call the Club and see what they say.

Thanks for the input.

I agree, and would prefer a suite with a picture window over a partially clear balcony. I despair of getting a straight answer from Seabourn, and this is the first time I have been so disappointed over something so trivial. I just want the information, that's all.

I agree, and would prefer a suite with a picture window over a partially clear balcony. I despair of getting a straight answer from Seabourn, and this is the first time I have been so disappointed over something so trivial. I just want the information, that's all.

I agree Jane,

I'd definately rather have a clear window over one of those depressing partial balconies..

We will see what we get iin November..

Host Dan

Sailing in December, I refuse to take the chance. We were upgraded from an A to V1 already. A balcony is nice, but has never been important on Seabourn. There will be many nice places to relax and even with room service breakfast, I don't need the veranda.

I could be wrong but my impression is that the V1-V2 balconies will be half metal, half glass, certainly not an in hull balcony like on the QM2. I have asked myself why the balconies on Deck 5 were designed that way and if not for a structural reason, the only thing I can think of is that Deck 5 is close enough to the water that the spray will hit you if the seas get a bit rough. Perhaps the lower metal half will protect you. Or perhaps I don't know what I'm talking about.

You've got me thinking! I too enjoy looking out at the ocean from my bed.

I'm not prepared to pay more for a T.A.though. One can always hope for the upgrade fairy.:)

One Seabourn agent told me it was about a foot high. That wouldn't keep us dry. Besides, if it was rough with spray, most of us have the good sense to stay inside. Don't we??

Glad to see that you received a response from a Seabourn agent. I have asked my travel agent and I hope he gets back to me soon so I can report what he heard.

I imagine that the metal part is for added structural strength in bad weather. If it's only a foot high and the rest is glass I will be happy enough!

Glad to see that you received a response from a Seabourn agent. I have asked my travel agent and I hope he gets back to me soon so I can report what he heard.

I imagine that the metal part is for added structural strength in bad weather. If it's only a foot high and the rest is glass I will be happy enough!

It definately doesn't look a foot high in the photograph...

Host Dan

I don't think that the photo is representative of how it will be. The photographer did not have an answer. <g> However, if Captain Karlo is not too busy, I am hoping for a reply from him. I have not meant to stir up a hornets' nest here, but just want a definitive answer with inter-rater reliability.

And if someone would bring me a BBC, it would be a lovely breakfast.

Tayl,

You are most welcome!

It won't be long now when better photos of the ship are available and all the protective coverings are removed from its balconies and other vulnerable surfaces. I have booked a V1 cabin for the LA to HK world cruise 2010 segment and so am as keen as anyone to learn what's what. Everything I have seen so far leads me to believe that Seabourn is delivering a beautiful balcony space with views to match.

Regards, Steve

Archived