Coral Princess secrets

alliecruiser

Mom and I will be going on the Coral Princess Panama Canal in May. We have only been on the Emerald and Ruby. What do we need to know about the Coral that is different than the other ships? I know it is smaller. We are so excited to try the Coral. We are able to eat in one of the specialty resturants the first night, which one would you recomment?:D

Mom and I will be going on the Coral Princess Panama Canal in May. We have only been on the Emerald and Ruby. What do we need to know about the Coral that is different than the other ships? I know it is smaller. We are so excited to try the Coral. We are able to eat in one of the specialty restaurants the first night, which one would you recommend?:D

The Coral is different than the Emerald and Ruby. The Coral just came out of Dry Dock where they added an International Cafe on Deck 6 and improved the Horizon Ct on the Lido Deck. The Horizon Ct. on the Coral is Forward with windows up front and nice views. The Coral does not have Club Fusion nor a Skywalkers. Deck 6/7 aft is the Universe Lounge which is a nice show lounge unique to the Coral and Island.

Specialty restaurants include the Bayou Steakhouse and Sabatini's. Your choice if you like New Orleans style steak and seafood then it's the Bayou with live background music. Sabatini's is Italian, the same as on the Ruby and Emerald.

The Coral has an indoor Pool on the Lido Deck. The aft pool is reserved for the Sanctuary.

In the past we were able to get to the forward outside areas on decks 11, and 10 for some uncrowded viewing. Walk forward on these decks and go through the doors to the outside deck. Don't know if it is still permitted.

The library on the Coral has wonderful, big leather chairs and hassocks, perfect for reading or just looking out at the water. The Island is the only other ship to have this type of library.

The Coral is actually longer than the "bigger" ships but is narrower to fit through the Canal.

The buffet is at the front of the ship with wonderful views over the bow whereas other than the Island, it's aft. The opposite is true of the Sanctuary: it's aft on the Coral/Island instead of forward. It's also handicapped accessible, unlike the other ships with a retrofitted Sanctuary.

There are several open decks both forward and aft for viewing as you go through the Canal.

The Coral is different than the Emerald and Ruby. The Coral just came out of Dry Dock where they added an International Cafe on Deck 6 and improved the Horizon Ct on the Lido Deck. The Horizon Ct. on the Coral is Forward with windows up front and nice views. The Coral does not have Club Fusion nor a Skywalkers. Deck 6/7 aft is the Universe Lounge which is a nice show lounge unique to the Coral and Island.

Specialty restaurants include the Bayou Steakhouse and Sabatini's. Your choice if you like New Orleans style steak and seafood then it's the Bayou with live background music. Sabatini's is Italian, the same as on the Ruby and Emerald.

The Coral has an indoor Pool on the Lido Deck. The aft pool is reserved for the Sanctuary.

In the past we were able to get to the forward outside areas on decks 11, and 10 for some uncrowded viewing. Walk forward on these decks and go through the doors to the outside deck. Don't know if it is still permitted.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but we were on the Coral and the aft Lotus Pool is an "Adults Only" pool located near the Sanctuary but is not reserved for use by Sanctuary passengers only.

We used it and never signed up for the Sanctuary.

Vinnie

I've been through the canal twice. First mistake was to think that staying on my balcony was the best thing to do. Have lunch in your cabin when you are on the lake. The second cruise, I was aft for most of the day. Wonderful to see the locks close behind us. No crowds.

Renee

The Universe Lounge, is second to none, for a 'full show'. Also, on Decks 6, and 7 stay on the Starboard side to get from one end of the ship to the other, [she is longer than you think].

The Bow 'Lift' only goes from 8 to 14.

john

l

The Coral is a beautiful ship with a stellar crew-that's the bottom line. You've made a great choice! As Pam says the library is unique-huge chairs by the picture windows...look up from your book, or from listening to music (jacks are built into the chairs) and there is the sea.

Bayou has a great little band while you are eating. If there is a Gipsy violin trio in the Piazza you are in for a treat. I listened to them every night and bought a cd.

The Sanctuary staff are the best I have had to date, in four cruises.

Have a great cruise on this gem of a ship!

Norris

We sailed Coral in Sept, just before the overhaul. We agreed that the Horizon Court needed to be changed.

If you go to the extreme bow end of Caribe Deck you can go out the heavy door to a "porch" whick is a pleasant place from which to view the scenery.

Steve

Just across from the library is the game room with card tables and big picture windows. They usually have jigsaw puzzles laid out on a number of tables where anyone can stop and put in a few pieces. We love the wide promenade deck which circles the ship (no stairs), and the public viewing areas spanning the aft of the ship with nice lounge chairs for comfy reading or viewing. Love love love the Coral - have a wonderful cruise!

Ditto!

The Coral to Alaska was my very 1st cruise. Since I cannot swim, I had doubts about cruising. The Coral settled those doubts, decisivly! I am a cruiser because of her. The crew service was beyond excellent, that I remember clearly.

Couldn't choose better IMHO.

Doug

PS: Being a walker, I agree too that the Promenade is wonderful.

The Coral and Island are our favorite ships of the line. We are scheduled to be on the Island (our first cruise on her was in 2008) this June for a south bound seqment of our cruise-tour. We went through the Canal last February on the Coral and her staff was great. The Bayou Steakhouse is our favorite even above the Sterling Steakhouse on the other ships. We are looking forward to being on her now that she has the IC and upgraded buffet. Looking forward to the Island upgrade next year.

Previous Cruises

Island Princess – 2008 Alaska

Island Princess – 2009 Alaska (B2B)

Royal Princess – 2010 Alaska

Golden Princess – 2011 Alaska

Coral Princess – 2012 Panama Canal

Star Princess – 2012 Alaska

Upcoming Cruises

Crown Princes – 2013 Western Caribbean

Island Princess – 2013 Alaska

Caribbean Princess – 2013 Western Caribbean (4 Day)

Archived