State Residency Discounts

I had always wondered if there was a list anywhere that showed what cruises where discounted for my particular state without having to make a dummy reservation a billion times and use the pull down menu to pick my state. Well I think I may have stumbled upon such a list completely by accident.

I was meandering around the JetBlue website and I saw "Cruises" as a choice of things to click on (I wasn't aware they booked cruises). One of the options is to just put in your state to find out if their are any discounts for that state. Well Holy Moly it worked...it listed all cruises on all the different cruiselines and what the discount was and for what kind of a stateroom. You also have the choice of clicking on "senior rate" as well. I wanted to double check it's accuracy by making a dummy booking for the same cruise on the RCI site, but it is currently down. I did try it on another cruiseline's site and it appears to be accurate. Who knew there would be 88 different cruises out there with a MAINE discount??

When you search for cruises on RCI's website, make sure to do the advanced search. If you forget, once you get the list of cruises for that ship, on the left there's modify your search. This is where you check off age 55 (for the senior discount) and put in your state (for the residency discount), when you search again, cruises with those discounts come up in red.

When you search for cruises on RCI's website, make sure to do the advanced search. If you forget, once you get the list of cruises for that ship, on the left there's modify your search. This is where you check off age 55 (for the senior discount) and put in your state (for the residency discount), when you search again, cruises with those discounts come up in red.

That's how it used to work, but on the new setup I don't see that. It sometimes changes the number of cruises found, but I never find any that actually have the discount.

For example, I picked March 2011 Ft Lauderdale and 6-9 nights. I clicked on 55+ and entered my state. It returned 6 cruises with and without my advanced search so I don't think it really filtered out for any deals. I went through every cabin category for Mar 13 and found no deals. The old way was much better. Am I doing something wrong? A search should NOT return anything that does not match the criteria.

That's how it used to work, but on the new setup I don't see that. It sometimes changes the number of cruises found, but I never find any that actually have the discount.

For example, I picked March 2011 Ft Lauderdale and 6-9 nights. I clicked on 55+ and entered my state. It returned 6 cruises with and without my advanced search so I don't think it really filtered out for any deals. I went through every cabin category for Mar 13 and found no deals. The old way was much better. Am I doing something wrong? A search should NOT return anything that does not match the criteria.

I couldnt find any that way either................nothing highlighted in red..:confused:

The new site will have a little and I do mean little yellow corner on the upper right side of the date in the search box. This little highlighted corner indicates discounts are available on that sailing.

I saw those.......funny thing is if you follow thru and get a price,it doesn't indicate what discount it is for..............unless Im not doing something right..:confused:

Thanks, Mike. I tried to follow through and don't see any definitions on any cabin categories. It shows the same price ranges for categories that I see for the selected cruise that I see by simply choosing the month and ship. I also see that tiny "Deal" triangle without entering any criteria.

It just isn't as user friendly as it used to be. You could tell what the "retail" price was and what the discounted price was (as well as what type). I'd hate to book it based on residency only to find out it was a discount I didn't qualify for (and when would I find out - at check in?).

Ok..guess I am dense but it doesn't seem to be working for me...I don't see a place to put my state....it does ask for age & zip code but none of the cruises show any type of discount that I can see....help...:eek:

When you go to the JetBlue website, scroll down to almost the bottom and you will see "Cruises" and click on it. Then on the next page there are dropdown menus to the left where you can filter your choices. I left these blank to start. The 4th box down says "SPECIAL RATES FOR YOUR STATE". That's where you can enter your state and see what's available. I left all all other boxes (including zipcode) empty to start. Hope that helps.

Ok..guess I am dense but it doesn't seem to be working for me...I don't see a place to put my state....it does ask for age & zip code but none of the cruises show any type of discount that I can see....help...:eek:

On the JetBlue home page, click on "Cruises" on the orange bar near the top.

Scroll down about 1/2 way on the page, and on the left you will see a bubble that says "Special Rates for Your State".

It really works!

I found a place to list Ontario residence for discounts, but there didn't seem to be any discounts available?

Not every cruise has a resident discount........gotta look at each cruise to see if your area is inc.............could be there today,gone tomorrow.

Archived