Butler Gratuity

muddsmom

I was reading an old thread that said the Gratuity for the PH cabins, (Riviera) was $18.50 pp per day. I also believe it is prepaid. I would like to know if the butler receives the entire gratuity or is it split with others?

I was reading an old thread that said the Gratuity for the PH cabins, (Riviera) was $18.50 pp per day. I also believe it is prepaid. I would like to know if the butler receives the entire gratuity or is it split with others?

It goes into a pool which is split amongst the Butlers. Remember that although you will primarily interact with the day shift Butler, your Suite will have a Butler on duty around the clock.

oceania-butler-service.jpg

The normal daily gratuity is 13.50 per person per day which covers most of the service personel on board. The gratuity to cover the butlers is set at 5.00 per person per day and goes into a pot for the butlers.

If your in a suite (any suite) and you use your butler, I always give him/her additional tip's thought out the cruise. And don't forget you room service person that cleans your room. I find the auto "Oceania" tip's far to low for the type of service you get on the ship. And the Butler can do a lot for you during your cruise when needed. Rick

If your in a suite (any suite) and you use your butler, I always give him/her additional tip's thought out the cruise. And don't forget you room service person that cleans your room. I find the auto "Oceania" tip's far to low for the type of service you get on the ship. And the Butler can do a lot for you during your cruise when needed. Rick

Thank you all. Also, thanks for mentioning the cleaning people.

I wouldn't assume that it is pre-paid unless you were given that perk with your travel agent. It just might be tallied in at the end when you go to settle your bill before disembarking. I think the rates were even supposed to be going up on the gratutities for butlers.

It will be my 1st time in a penthouse suite. I do not think that I'm going to ask a lot of service from the butler every day. I presume that I could sometimes ask to bring cheese plate or make reservations in specialty restaurant and in the brochure I learned that he will bring canapes every day . Do you give tips at each service or at the end of the cruise? Can you suggest me an amount?

I would also like to know this. Coming from Regent, where tips are included, I'm at sea, so to speak. My gratuities are being prepaid on my upcoming Oceania cruise, and I had assumed that this would make it a level playing field with Regent. On Regent, some do tip extra for normal service, but most don't, and if they do, they donate to the crew fund. Is there such a fund on Oceania?

There are no rules. Not everyone gives additional tips. Frankly, my sense is that extra tipping is the exception. When I stayed in a PH on the transatlantic cruise I did not use the butler AT ALL. I gave him nothing extra. On my recent Nautica cruise where i stayed in a deluxe outside cabin I found my stateroom attendant so exceptional that I gave her an extra $50 at the end of the cruise and all she did was "her job" - nothing extra. I really think it is a personal decision, not at all required and wholly dependent on your perception of whether any extra tip is warranted.

The amount of the gratuities is fixed and charged to your account or it may be a perk that is given to you by your TA. The difference between Regent and Oceania seems to be that some people on O insist that the gratuities are insufficient and keep encouraging people on this list to tip extra. I'm not sure if they are right or wrong because we don't know what people are paid compared to Regent, for example. It does seem unfair that some "lucky" butlers are going to get a lot more than the guy who works just as hard next door, the dining room waiter, etc. All of them add to the enjoyment of the cruise. Adding to the ship pool by going to the front desk and increasing your gratuity amount to a level you consider appropriate seems a better choice.

It will be my 1st time in a penthouse suite. I do not think that I'm going to ask a lot of service from the butler every day. I presume that I could sometimes ask to bring cheese plate or make reservations in specialty restaurant and in the brochure I learned that he will bring canapes every day . Do you give tips at each service or at the end of the cruise? Can you suggest me an amount?

The butler service is very sophisticated and not a bit like room service, so no dollar bills as we go along.

We have also found that the butler relationship becomes very personal, especially after 30 days.

We write a note and enclose a generous tip at the end of our cruise or cruises. :)

The amount of the gratuities is fixed and charged to your account or it may be a perk that is given to you by your TA. The difference between Regent and Oceania seems to be that some people on O insist that the gratuities are insufficient and keep encouraging people on this list to tip extra. I'm not sure if they are right or wrong because we don't know what people are paid compared to Regent, for example. It does seem unfair that some "lucky" butlers are going to get a lot more than the guy who works just as hard next door, the dining room waiter, etc. All of them add to the enjoyment of the cruise. Adding to the ship pool by going to the front desk and increasing your gratuity amount to a level you consider appropriate seems a better choice.

Thank you. This sounds like the right answer, to me. I don't like singling people out when so many work so hard for my enjoyment.

Forgive me if I'm stepping on toes, but I can't understand why anyone would go on a cruise and not plan to tip the butler who provides so many services, the person who cleans your room, or, for that matter, anyone from the cabana attendant, the fitness class instructor, etc.. We always tip them, along with tipping for spa services, etc. as we feel the automatic tips cover the waiters, etc.

FYI in the summer of 2013 gratuities for cabins go up to $14.50 per person and Penthouses and above go to $20.50 per person..

I also always tip many people on board above and beyond the tips that are on our room charge.

Jancruz1

We agree with Jan, like I said before when you get great service the amount Oceania puts on your account just isn't enough. We give the butler and the cleaning person extra gratuities. Usually within the first 3 days, than again 3 days later and once more near the end of the cruise. We also tip a little extra to others depending on the service we get. To us it makes for a better vacation, and that's what it's all about--to enjoy your trip.

Rick

Archived